E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Odor from A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Here are two links to older threads that contain pretty much everything you need to know. The first thread has a link to a service bulletin about the problem and the second thread has some photos and instructions on replacing the microfilter...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=3856

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10616
Old 08-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 4 2005, 11:29 PM
Here are two links to older threads that contain pretty much everything you need to know.? The first thread has a link to a service bulletin about the problem and the second thread has some photos and instructions on replacing the microfilter...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=3856

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=10616
[snapback]156245[/snapback]

I had this issue with my previous two cars - Volkswagens.

I have ~3500 miles on my E60 and I don't have a trace of smell. I do however follow a fairly annoying routine:

-I never use automatic climate (since it can abruptly turn on and off the AC)
-I never use the AC if I can't turn it off at least 10 minutes before arriving at my destination
-I always turn the AC off 10-15 minutes before arriving at my destination and I turn the blower on max to blow out all moisture. After about 5 minutes of performing this "purge", the vents emanate an odor that smells of vinegar. Once I can no longer detect this smell, I turn off the blower, or turn it down at least. I also open the windows a bit to help get the smell out.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I had this issue with my previous two cars - Volkswagens.

I have ~3500 miles on my E60 and I don't have a trace of smell. I do however follow a fairly annoying routine:

-I never use automatic climate (since it can abruptly turn on and off the AC)
-I never use the AC if I can't turn it off at least 10 minutes before arriving at my destination
-I always turn the AC off 10-15 minutes before arriving at my destination and I turn the blower on max to blow out all moisture. After about 5 minutes of performing this "purge", the vents emanate an odor that smells of vinegar. Once I can no longer detect this smell, I turn off the blower, or turn it down at least. I also open the windows a bit to help get the smell out.
[snapback]156395[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is pretty much what my SA told me. My only point is that I should not have to follow a BS routine on a 60k car - purge my A/C everytime I am going to get home from work. I do not have to do it on my Yukon and did not have to do it on my 199x Saturn comuter car.

It just does not seem right!

BTW (UUronL): like the image in your signiture!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

What puzzles me is that I always use automatic mode and have been through a total of 3 5-series cars over the last 7 years or so.

I simply don't have the odor problem. I may have detected it faintly one time a few years ago but if that's the extent of my problem, I'm fine with that.

Yes, it's been terribly hot and humid here this year and in past years. I can't explain why some people have this problem and why some people don't...
Old 08-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

Had this problem last summer, but after a programmed change of the microfilters and more consistent parking conditions (in a chilly, very dry garage instead of out in the sun), the problem has virtually disappeared, in spite of a couple of weeks in the summer sun. To my knowledge this is not a BMW-only problem, it's widely known to affect all kinds of ACs, but I would assume there are several coincidences that determine the accumulation of smell or bacteria.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 5 2005, 06:06 AM
I know of other car manufacturers having the same problem.
[snapback]156101[/snapback]
You're right. I know of Toyota and Honda owners facing the same problem. Its got something to do with the mixture of cold and warm air leaving behind moisture.

Therefore we can safely put it down to the aircon manufacturers' design problem and not entirely peculiar to BMW only.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Contributors

Can someone explains if it is bacteria or mold? Then I say run some cleaner spray for the source of of smell (bac or mold) into the intake during air recycle. Chlorine based spray (bleach) will kill mold. I saw the ad for the commercial stuff but it looks like you need a lot of it and use it once big time. <_< But a spritz or two of bleach every so often should kill what develops if it isn't allowed to go too far. The problem is how much and how safe is it for the car. It shouldn't cause corrosion of the coils. A smell is beginning to develop now after a year, and it seems to be mold. If someone can confirm it is mold vs. bacteria, I may find a dry chemical that dries onto the coil surface after being sprayed and kills on contact everytime it gets wet. The trick is not to poison ourselves. If bacteria, the smell could vary with location because it may be different kinds of bacteria. There are so many disinfectant sprays in grocery store, but one should be better and safer than another. I smell alcohol a lot when using the windshield washer. Alcohol is bad on bacteria. It won't kill after it's evaporated. Not everything is safe on paint or our lungs. So I wouldn't just start spraying what's handy. A little research and experience is in order.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I think the problem is related to the activated-carbon filtration system. Activated carbon can be a healthy growing medium for bacteria unless it is impregnated with a biocide like mercury. And I don't think I want any mercury in my car.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Contributors

If it is the filter, then why doesn't BMW replace it more often? Posters here claim they don't even replace those filters when the odor develops. I've heard it both ways, but it seems to be a simple solution. If the problem recurrs, substitute a filter that prevents growth of stuff...without the mercury.