E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Odor from A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an bad odor that come from by A/c when I first turn it on. Had it to the dealer but did not fix it. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have a TSB on this>
Larry
Old 08-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Members

I also have this issue. According to my dealer it's because of "bacteria in the A/C system". The hot weather (and sometimes wet) weather during the summer are perfect conditions for them.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by vancleve3' date='Aug 4 2005, 03:49 PM
I have an bad odor that come from by A/c when I first turn it on. Had it to the dealer but did not fix it. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have a TSB on this>
Larry
[snapback]156081[/snapback]

It is a fairly common problem, as the filters are no well protected and easily get wet and mildewy. There is an older thread with pics of the filters. You can ask the dealer to replace them under warranty. Though, they typically want to clean and deodorize them. i had this done and instead of the stale smell at start up, I now get a perfumy smell at start up.deo
Old 08-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

At 15k service my dealer cleaned my system to remove the mildew/mold - whatever. He suggested turning my A/C off slightly before the car is going to sit, so it can dry out.

Like I am going to remember to do this. I try but I am sure the smell will still come back. Luckily, I just notice it at startup or when I shut the A/C off.

It is weird that BMW is the only one that has this problem that I know of.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Aug 4 2005, 11:48 PM
[snapback]156095[/snapback]
I know of other car manufacturers having the same problem.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Not sure this is a BMW issue only. With my previous Audi/VW's I have owned to avoid the "smell" as the SA called it, I tried to kick off the compressor and blow the fan on hi for a minute or so to blow off condensation from the condenser unit. So far, this seems to work with the 530xi as we have just come off some hot/humid days in the Midwest with a lot of AC useage. If it fails to continue to work, I'll repost.

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Aug 4 2005, 05:48 PM
At 15k service my dealer cleaned my system to remove the mildew/mold - whatever.? He suggested turning my A/C off slightly before the car is going to sit, so it can dry out.

Like I am going to remember to do this.? I try but I am sure the smell will still come back.? Luckily, I just notice it at startup or when I shut the A/C off.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

Its a common problem, especially in high humidity climates.

Have a look at

http://www.autoint.com/tips/odor_removal_ac.html

and

http://www.autoint.com/autostore/pc/viewPr...0&idproduct=187

worked OK on my E46 , needed re-treating every 3 or 4 months; hasn't appeared on my E60 yet
Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 4 2005, 02:06 PM
[quote name='jsal' date='Aug 4 2005, 11:48 PM']It is weird that BMW is the only one that has this problem that I know of.
[snapback]156101[/snapback]
[/quote]

This may be true. Just in my experience with Volvo, GM and other US cars, I have never experienced this problem - granted they exhibit other problems and are no where near the driving performance.

I understand what can happen with the condensation. It is just that A/C is not a new science. So, why does my 60k+ BMW have to be plagued with a smelly A/C? It is embarrising when I take people with me. Here is this beautiful automobile that people are in aw of, that I have to worry if it is going to blow bad smelling air.

The cleaning helped, but I should not have to dry out the A/C everytime I use it.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Aug 4 2005, 05:36 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Aug 4 2005, 02:06 PM'][quote name='jsal' date='Aug 4 2005, 11:48 PM']It is weird that BMW is the only one that has this problem that I know of.
[snapback]156101[/snapback]
[/quote]

This may be true. Just in my experience with Volvo, GM and other US cars, I have never experienced this problem - granted they exhibit other problems and are no where near the driving performance.

I understand what can happen with the condensation. It is just that A/C is not a new science. So, why does my 60k+ BMW have to be plagued with a smelly A/C? It is embarrising when I take people with me. Here is this beautiful automobile that people are in aw of, that I have to worry if it is going to blow bad smelling air.

The cleaning helped, but I should not have to dry out the A/C everytime I use it.
[snapback]156118[/snapback]
[/quote]
My Volvo 855 does has smell. I turn off AC about 2 miles before I reach the destination to get rid of much of the condensation. Newer Volvo's fan motor will keep on running after the car is off to get rid of as much condensation as possible.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

I had this problem a couple of months into the ownership. Read something about the condensation and how to rid it method. Here's what I tried and I did this for a couple of weeks (in total maybe 10 times), and the smell has not come back since (touch wood). However I am from a hot climate (but can also be quite humid), so maybe it's easier to rid it by doing so.

Each time about 10-15 minutes before I reached home, I turned off the aircon and turned the temp. to maximum (yah, remember to wind down all the windows! ), and let the blower go full blast. I also manually adjusted the idrive setting so that all out lets would have full blast set.

Alternatively, one can do this with the engine running for a while for a few times.

Quick Reply: Odor from A/C