E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Odometer on e60 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by MIINT
hi tried this, however cant get the test menu to come up? i have a 2004 e60... does it have a diffferent firmware?
http://www.scoopz.com/m5board/E60_Hi...structions.pdf
Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Also Whilst I was there, I managed to get into the service reset menu. I noticed that for the MOT, Exhaust emissions and brake fluid, the display was gone. as soon as it changed... hey presto it works!. I've reset all those in a bid to try and remedy the symptom.. but had no luck.
This is really getting to me now if it ain't a bulb. Can't wait to see a solution as it seems more than just a simple instrument panel problem. The chip that stores the mileage and service data is probably corrupted. Hope it doesn't come down to a replacement panel. Maybe from a breaker but no doubt it will need the usual BMW magic wand to program it in and hopefully the mileage record can be restored.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by xyzbird
This is really getting to me now if it ain't a bulb. Can't wait to see a solution as it seems than just a simple instrument panel problem. The chip that stores the mileage and service data is probably corrupted. Hope it doesn't come down to a replacement panel. Maybe from a breaker but no doubt it will need the usual BMW magic wand to program it in and hopefully the mileage record can be restored.
There's a section in the WDS that has trouble-shooting resolutions for the Instrument Cluster failure; reprogram.

Before getting into a tizzy about module failures/corruption or having to re-program... I would highly suggest to the OP to disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 30 minutes. This will force all the modules to 'reset.'

The there would be no re-coding needed for a new Instrument Cluster - it's a fairly dumb device. It listens for certain CAN BUS ids and acts accordingly.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW F10 520D M-Sport, Professional Nav, Spoiler, Visibility Pack, Auto Fold mirrors, Full Black Panel.... and thats it!

This is really getting to me now if it ain't a bulb. Can't wait to see a solution as it seems more than just a simple instrument panel problem. The chip that stores the mileage and service data is probably corrupted. Hope it doesn't come down to a replacement panel. Maybe from a breaker but no doubt it will need the usual BMW magic wand to program it in and hopefully the mileage record can be restored.
lol its getting to you??? If I wasn't bald before.. I am now! I'll try the battery fix first.. watch this space!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:22 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW F10 520D M-Sport, Professional Nav, Spoiler, Visibility Pack, Auto Fold mirrors, Full Black Panel.... and thats it!

lol its getting to you??? If I wasn't bald before.. I am now! I'll try the battery fix first.. watch this space!
Right in 26 degree heat (that's hot where I'm from) I can dissapointingly conclude:

reboot has no affect except for me having to reset the clock (tried twice)
The cluster check - still unable to get the menu up.. could be because I cant see it probably.

So.. any other suggestions?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Members

You in UK? Near Leicestershire?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

reboot has no affect except for me having to reset the clock (tried twice)
The cluster check - still unable to get the menu up.. could be because I cant see it probably.

So.. any other suggestions?
Damn.
One of the 'fault profiles' [Fault profile instrument cluster 0605] states that if the back light on the instrument cluster changes, which seems to be your problem, that the cluster should be re-programmed with PROGMAN From 09/06.

You might have to take this to a dealer and ask them to run PROGMAN on your display.

Otherwise:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-5-SERIES-E...-/140422037607
Old 07-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Members

You in UK? Near Leicestershire?
Birmingham.. so not too far... why?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Members

Was going to suggest a look - see if we were closer. Since I had my 545i I gave up doing my own servicing and have had excellent treatment at Sytners in Leicester (I always go to service rep Junior Malcolm) and haven't had robbery. You have several Sytners in your area but can't vouch for them, but if I were you I would get one of them to diagnose your fault. Alternatively you could chance the eBay post. Looking forward to seeing a satisfactory resolution.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Members

Double post can't be deleted.

Quick Reply: Odometer on e60 2004