E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Odometer on e60 2004

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW F10 520D M-Sport, Professional Nav, Spoiler, Visibility Pack, Auto Fold mirrors, Full Black Panel.... and thats it!

Hi All

I have a UK 530 SE (2004). Working ace (although I have a bill for new tyres..) anyway I have a problem where I can no longer read the centre display. I assumed this was due to the lighting being knackered, however its lights the top bit and then dissapears when the car is started. As your turning the key the images flash so its not a "bulb" issue. I had this in the first year of ownership, however it sorted itself out (typically after 3 years when I have no warrantee!)

Any help appreciated. Attached image to show what im on about!
Attached Thumbnails Odometer on e60 2004-_mg_2489.jpg   Odometer on e60 2004-_mg_2490.jpg  
Old 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

So you don't seem to have a problem any more.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Members

Have you tried disconnecting the battery?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW F10 520D M-Sport, Professional Nav, Spoiler, Visibility Pack, Auto Fold mirrors, Full Black Panel.... and thats it!

I haven't tried disconnecting the battery and see what happens (good old reboot)

The problem is still there by the way.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

If the section where the miles appears does not light up when you press the odometer button (no ignition etc) then it has got to be a bulb failure.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by xyzbird
If the section where the miles appears does not light up when you press the odometer button (no ignition etc) then it has got to be a bulb failure.
hmmm The whole display dose flash for a brief second... so I dont think its this.. however will give it a go (I'll try anything rather than fork out £805 for a replacement)!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Members

UPDATE: When turning the ignition key you can see a "faded", feint display. The display then comes on for a split second then dissapear. The faded display shows the number of miles to the next service (13k). when it goes back to the default odometer it dissapears..
Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by MIINT
UPDATE: When turning the ignition key you can see a "faded", feint display. The display then comes on for a split second then dissapear. The faded display shows the number of miles to the next service (13k). when it goes back to the default odometer it dissapears..
I would try an 'Instrument Cluster System Test'

1) Put the key into the ignition
2) Press and hold the trip reset button
3) turn the ignition on (but do not start the car)
4) keep holding until you see 01._ _
5) press the trip reset once to enter the cluster test 02.
6) start the cluster test by pressing the trip reset button again

It should look like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3VZuEYl9tY

This test will confirm if there is any problem with the instrument cluster. If everything lights up then the problem is k_can (CAN BUS), module, or program related.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
I would try an 'Instrument Cluster System Test'

1) Put the key into the ignition
2) Press and hold the trip reset button
3) turn the ignition on (but do not start the car)
4) keep holding until you see 01._ _
5) press the trip reset once to enter the cluster test 02.
6) start the cluster test by pressing the trip reset button again

It should look like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3VZuEYl9tY

This test will confirm if there is any problem with the instrument cluster. If everything lights up then the problem is k_can (CAN BUS), module, or program related.
hi tried this, however cant get the test menu to come up? i have a 2004 e60... does it have a diffferent firmware?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MIINT
hi tried this, however cant get the test menu to come up? i have a 2004 e60... does it have a diffferent firmware?
Also Whilst I was there, I managed to get into the service reset menu. I noticed that for the MOT, Exhaust emissions and brake fluid, the display was gone. as soon as it changed... hey presto it works!. I've reset all those in a bid to try and remedy the symptom.. but had no luck.

Quick Reply: Odometer on e60 2004