E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

odd little problemo

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Soooooooooooooo........ went on vacation for a week, came back, wife goes to take the car on an errand ('08 535), and the thing apparently started to shake "violently", and went into limp mode("engine malfunction, reduced power"..). She brings it back, so I get in and drive it. Although I detected a slight miss(erratic) , everything was fine. She gets back in and takes off, problem surfaces again..twice. She said if she shut it down and let it sit for a few minutes, it would clear itself, and go for another mile or so before tweaking out. I'm figuring the thing sitting for a week has something to do with this, and am hoping that someone else had the same problem, found that is was something minor, and is gonna tell me how to fix it. BTW: Gas cap is secure
Stranger thing shave happened..
TIA
Old 09-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Might want to check out member Vandal1x's experience with the same symptoms with his 535i...GL

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=56981&hl=
Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='659318' date='Sep 2 2008, 03:08 AM
Soooooooooooooo........ went on vacation for a week, came back, wife goes to take the car on an errand ('08 535), and the thing apparently started to shake "violently", and went into limp mode("engine malfunction, reduced power"..). She brings it back, so I get in and drive it. Although I detected a slight miss(erratic) , everything was fine. She gets back in and takes off, problem surfaces again..twice. She said if she shut it down and let it sit for a few minutes, it would clear itself, and go for another mile or so before tweaking out. I'm figuring the thing sitting for a week has something to do with this, and am hoping that someone else had the same problem, found that is was something minor, and is gonna tell me how to fix it. BTW: Gas cap is secure
Stranger thing shave happened..
TIA
When the 335i Coupe and the Infiniti G37 came out, Road & Track took both cars out on a comparison test on a desert track. During the test (after multiple hot laps), the 335i went into limp mode because the oil temperature was too high. Early owners of the 335i Coupe experienced the same thing and it was rectified by BMW through the addition of oil coolers in the car. Apparently, early 335i Coupes didn't have the oil cooler and later models came with the oil cooler from the factory.

I'm assuming that you didn't beat your 535i like the testers did and this is the only occasion that I've heard of the N54 twin turbo engine shutting down. BMW engines are near bomb proof. Hopefully, someone else has experienced the same thing and will have a simple and quick fix. But my recommendation to you, and I'm wondering why you haven't done this already, is to take your car into the dealer for servicing. Your car is MY 2008 therefore still under the protection of warranty and someone may have had a similar problem, but not the same.

Why take chances??? Just take your car into the dealer service center and get the problem fixed. Happy motoring!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='659330' date='Sep 1 2008, 02:26 PM
When the 335i Coupe and the Infiniti G37 came out, Road & Track took both cars out on a comparison test on a desert track. During the test (after multiple hot laps), the 335i went into limp mode because the oil temperature was too high. Early owners of the 335i Coupe experienced the same thing and it was rectified by BMW through the addition of oil coolers in the car. Apparently, early 335i Coupes didn't have the oil cooler and later models came with the oil cooler from the factory.

I'm assuming that you didn't beat your 535i like the testers did and this is the only occasion that I've heard of the N54 twin turbo engine shutting down. BMW engines are near bomb proof. Hopefully, someone else has experienced the same thing and will have a simple and quick fix. But my recommendation to you, and I'm wondering why you haven't done this already, is to take your car into the dealer for servicing. Your car is MY 2008 therefore still under the protection of warranty and someone may have had a similar problem, but not the same.

Why take chances??? Just take your car into the dealer service center and get the problem fixed. Happy motoring!
YES IN MY 335I I HAD THE SAME PROB.. after the oil cooler it was no more prob
Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='659354' date='Sep 2 2008, 04:09 AM
YES IN MY 335I I HAD THE SAME PROB.. after the oil cooler it was no more prob
Did BMWNA install the oil coolers at no charge? I read in the same article that all 335i models without the oil coolers had them installed at the cost of BMWNA.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Seems obvious to me, don't let your wife drive the car!!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport 177BHP Jet Black Grey Dakota Leather MZ5P Media Package M676 HiFi Speakers M588 Electric Lumbar Supports M6FL USB Interface M439 Brushed Aluminium Trim

+1 ...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='659330' date='Sep 1 2008, 02:26 PM

Firstly, it's not an oil cooling problem. The car started doing it only a few minutes after she started it. No nearly enough time to get any heat into the oil. As far as you "wondering" why I didn't take it into the service dept, I'll refer you to today's date, and remind you it's Labor day. No service dept near me is open today. I even tried to get BMW Road Side assistance to come get it, and drop off a rental car for her. They declined,a nd told to me call the local sevice dpt tomorrow when they re-open.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='659324' date='Sep 1 2008, 02:21 PM
Might want to check out member Vandal1x's experience with the same symptoms with his 535i...GL

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=56981&hl=
Thank you
Old 09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I'm going with the HpFP, or Waist gate issues...

HPFP seem to be the bane of the N54, as is the V29.2 + software.
Word of the wise DO NOT let BMW update the software unless it 100% has to be done... check out the 45+ page thread in the e90post.com

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147781

Best of luck, and let us know what is the issue

On the aux oil cooler it is pretty easy to tell if the car has one or not,
1. Open hood
2. look at oil filter area of engine
3. look for 2 fabric wrapped decent lines running in and out of said oil filter area
4. look threw front grill of car for a add on oil cooler in front of the radiator in the middle of the area ( it's pretty open up there so it's not hard to find.) It should be silver or metallic in color, unless it has changed on later models.
5. as far as it has most have fond , all sport epq. 535's have it, the e61 may not have it..... same goes for ix's ...

Quick Reply: odd little problemo