E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ODBII Code P0128 / SES - Increased Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04 545i threw up a SES message yesterday. The Check Control read Warning, Increased Emissions. I used a code reader and pulled code P0128, Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). I reset the light and drove it around and it has been fine. Is anyone familar with this code? Of course, I'm 600 miles OUT of warranty too.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Had my thermostat replaced. Shouldn't cost too much ( I hope - mine was under warranty when it went). Your thermostat may be sticky. Sounds like it was partially open during several warm-up cycles, leading to cooler engine temperatures during the warmup phase (and triggering the code after a repeated failure). The thermostat is designed to keep the engine within a very specific operating range - almost like the 3 bears analogy, not too hot/cold, but just right. If the thermostat is stuck open, the engine doesn't warm up to its normal operating temperature and triggers the code. This can also happen in very cold weather, even after driving.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Members

My Ride: black 2004 e60----comfort package, light package, tinted windows, custom coded features

Exactly, bad thermostat. It's not hard to change; I changed it on my old E34. It's toward the front of the car right behind the cooling fan. You will see a black or brownish black plastic housing with hoses coming out of each end. Just take that thermostat housing off and you will see the thermostat. Keep in mind that this is the way it is on the M50 motor. It may be slightly different on your motor, being that it is a V8 but it should still be on the pulley side of the motor.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ctsang1234' post='628491' date='Jul 20 2008, 09:06 AM
My 04 545i threw up a SES message yesterday.
My car HATES me. It threw up another SES light tonight.

I'll try the thermostat and see if it goes away.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

I had a similar issue - some sort of sensor involving the thermostat apparently. $540 dollars at the stealer. Make sure you know what it is before you get that nonsense handled.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Personally I would go to the dealer and have them decode it and ask them for a Managers exception on the warranty. If it is only 600 miles out then you should have a pretty good case to have them fix it free of charge. If they say no then you are back to replacing it your self. May save you time money and trouble.

good luck
Old 07-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

had the same message two weeks ago at 26,000 miles. Dealer replaced both the thermostat and and one of the 4 O2 sensors.

In the tech comments it stated to monitor and if re-occurs to replace engine wiring hanress per an SIB. (I was not able to located specific SI

Both items toghether were about $670.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MRV99' post='629003' date='Jul 21 2008, 07:36 AM
Personally I would go to the dealer and have them decode it and ask them for a Managers exception on the warranty. If it is only 600 miles out then you should have a pretty good case to have them fix it free of charge. If they say no then you are back to replacing it your self. May save you time money and trouble.

good luck
I stopped by the dealer on the way home and talked to the Service Manager. He told me to bring it in and that they would probably cover it. Thanks! Car is now sitting at the dealer...

Also found out there was a recall for the SMG Tranny SW. I am getting new programming or something.

-Chris
Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Members

Got my car back. They covered it under warranty. Thank you BMW! And thank you Peter Pan BMW of San Mateo...

It was a faulty thermostat. I received a new thermostat and new coolant.

Also received a recall for SIB 23-02-02-07 Recll 07E-A02 SMG
Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by ctsang1234' post='630455' date='Jul 22 2008, 09:32 PM
Got my car back. They covered it under warranty. Thank you BMW! And thank you Peter Pan BMW of San Mateo...

It was a faulty thermostat. I received a new thermostat and new coolant.

Also received a recall for SIB 23-02-02-07 Recll 07E-A02 SMG
Gotta luv a happy ending (no, not THAT happy ending, you pervs!)

Quick Reply: ODBII Code P0128 / SES - Increased Emissions