E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Not your typical DRL question. 2005 E60.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:56 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Default Not your typical DRL question. 2005 E60.

This isn't another Angel Eyes issue. I promise.

So I just coded my 2005 530i Pre-LCI to have the option to run daylight running lights. It's my understanding that the DRL's are just the high beams at half power or something like that. Regardless, it shouldn't be the Xenon's.

Now, after coding for the DRL option on my car, it seems that the DRL option enables the full lights as if i were switched all the way to the right on the light switch selector. Xenons and all.

My question is, is this normal? Shouldn't the DRL's just be low light rather than my Xenon's at full? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I though that the DRL were just the rings turned on?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:19 AM
New Members

Not for the pre-lci's unfortunately. My car is too old
Old 08-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 545i
Model Year: 2004

Hey gbrldz, I know what you're talking about, like you, I thought when I click the DRL option in the vehicle settings (after you code it to appear in the Idrive) you should get the low beams as DRL's but it isn't the case. I guess software wise DRL means full headlights (Xenon and all) but when we say DRL, we don't mean full lights, it's either AE or low beams or just anything other than Xenons. It's kinda dumb, i know. but there are two options (if i remember correctly) the first (wert1, i think...i know a "1" is in there but i'm not sure if wert is used here) would activate your Xenons (full headlights as DRL) and i think the second (wert2, i think) would use your blinkers as DRLs. This was almost a year ago that I did this test, so, I could be wrong. But i don't think either would activate AE or eyebrows as DRLs. Btw i have a Pre-LCI.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by DR545
Hey gbrldz, I know what you're talking about, like you, I thought when I click the DRL option in the vehicle settings (after you code it to appear in the Idrive) you should get the low beams as DRL's but it isn't the case. I guess software wise DRL means full headlights (Xenon and all) but when we say DRL, we don't mean full lights, it's either AE or low beams or just anything other than Xenons. It's kinda dumb, i know. but there are two options (if i remember correctly) the first (wert1, i think...i know a "1" is in there but i'm not sure if wert is used here) would activate your Xenons (full headlights as DRL) and i think the second (wert2, i think) would use your blinkers as DRLs. This was almost a year ago that I did this test, so, I could be wrong. But i don't think either would activate AE or eyebrows as DRLs. Btw i have a Pre-LCI.
Having the option to turn DRLs on and off requires an LM2 module retrofit. unless OP has retrofitted that module, turning DRLs on and off is done via coding only.

OP, I have an '04, and one of the first things I did was to code my DRLs OFF. No, they should not be illuminating the xenons; DRLs on your pre-lci should be the inside H7 bulb only, no xenons.

what strings did you change in your .MAN file?
Old 08-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Members

Kyle, Yes you are correct the DRLs on/off is done via coding but I think the OP was referring to the option in IDRIVE. There is a line in the .MAN that will allow a DRL option in vehicle settings of the Idrive, when that is activated (not on/ff via coding but rather thru Idrive) then that DRL turns on his Xenons.

The DRL that we're used to is the one you're talking about (Kyle) but the DRL option in Idrive (as far as I know for pre-lci) does whole other thing. Again it's really confusing.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Members

Ok gbrldz, it's coming back to me, when you code to have DRL activation via Idrive then that will use your full headlights as DRLs. (for pre-lci)

But the line of code that Kyle was referring to, that has two options:
1) use your low beams (inside of H7 bulbs) as DRLs
2) use your blinker bulbs DRLs

I don't remember that particular line in the .MAN file, but it's not hard to find that out.

So, to answer your original question, to me, it is normal, not really efficient but normal. I took out the option for DRL activation via Idrive because i know I wouldn't use it and I set that other line that uses our definition of DRL as not active because i didn't want DRLs (low beams or blinkers).
Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 PM
New Members

Damn! Thanks for all the ipnut, all! Much appreciated.

I think I got it figured out. I haven't gotten home to try it yet.

What I have now is just the option to turn on and of DRL. When I first got the car, the option in iDrive was not there. I have since added it via coding. However, I think that some of my values in the coding are incorrect.

I just need to edit this.

DRL unchecked in iDrive.

DRL_WERT_DIMMUNG
wert_01 = 26%
wert_02 = 40%

DRL_V_GEDIMMT
Wert_01 = us
Wert_02 = eur

---

I'll provide an update when I get home. Unfortunately it's already dark where I'm at because of the weather and won't be able to try it until hopefully tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Members

Ok cool, I didn't think of playing around with those values. What are you trying to achieve by changing those values? ....No Xenons when you check DRL in IDrive but some other bulb to be activated?

Let me know what happens.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

you're going to want DRL_V_GEDIMMT set to wert_02 and DRL_WERT_DIMMUNG set to wert_01, most of the other settings are useless on the first gen LCM.

Quick Reply: Not your typical DRL question. 2005 E60.