E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Not so sweet vibrations!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right guys need some opinions on what the problem is. I'm getting vibration through the seats at anything above 55mph. I've just had all the wheels fully dynamically balanced and the tyres are all wearing very evenly. The alignment was done around 5 months ago and the car isn't pulling anyway. The car just failed its MOT on a rear ball joint integrated link so got a garage to replace both sides and the car has now passed the test. The guy at the garage has told me that this work wouldn't have caused a wobble and wouldn't have affected the alignment etc. Any ideas? Oh it's a 525d M-sport running standard 19's and has covered 92000 miles. This issue is driving me mad!!! Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by kieron' post='986400' date='Aug 23 2009, 04:23 PM
Right guys need some opinions on what the problem is. I'm getting vibration through the seats at anything above 55mph. I've just had all the wheels fully dynamically balanced and the tyres are all wearing very evenly. The alignment was done around 5 months ago and the car isn't pulling anyway. The car just failed its MOT on a rear ball joint integrated link so got a garage to replace both sides and the car has now passed the test. The guy at the garage has told me that this work wouldn't have caused a wobble and wouldn't have affected the alignment etc. Any ideas? Oh it's a 525d M-sport running standard 19's and has covered 92000 miles. This issue is driving me mad!!! Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated
Maybe a u-joint or cv-joint(s) in the driveline? If the tire balance checks ok then these would be my next suspect components.

GL with the repairs and keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails Not so sweet vibrations!!!-shaft.jpg   Not so sweet vibrations!!!-rear.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Contributors

you mean "good vibrations"
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Members

Wow, thanks for the diagram. I did wonder if it was drivetrain related so I flicked the car into neutral at 70mph on the motorway yesterday and the vibration was still there. Would it do this if it was drivetrain? Could the repaired balljoints cause this in some way?

Oh and yes I did mean 'good' vibrations - well spotted. The stress of car problems scrambles my brain!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi

It's a knowen problem by BMW's if the hardic-washer ( pos. 2 ,diagram 1 ) or the middel-bearing ( pos 10 , diagram 1 ) is worn , that it can give un-wanted vibration in the car , and it is very difficult to determen were it's comming from , I don't think it come's from the driveshafts going to the wheel's ( diagram 2 ) , not with that milage , but just a gess , based on my experience with the problem on E34 and E39

Good luck
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kieron' post='986938' date='Aug 24 2009, 02:49 AM
Wow, thanks for the diagram. I did wonder if it was drivetrain related so I flicked the car into neutral at 70mph on the motorway yesterday and the vibration was still there. Would it do this if it was drivetrain? Could the repaired balljoints cause this in some way?

Oh and yes I did mean 'good' vibrations - well spotted. The stress of car problems scrambles my brain!!!
Diagrams courtesy of RealOem.Com. I'm glad member BenAnd chimed in about previous experience with this issue. I'm a
noob...but a curious one.

And yes. The driveline will still be rotating at 70mph in neutral.

Searching provided this link: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticl...o/E36-Guibo.htm
Although for a 3 series...the e60 is probably similar. Removing the belly pan and having a look is probably a good idea.
With the mileage you've accumulated a flex coupling and middle bearing replacement might be good maintenance.

Here's a pic of a failing flex-coupling.
Attached Thumbnails Not so sweet vibrations!!!-coupling.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Members

Thanks for that. The car is going back to the garage that fitted the Balljoints tomorrow for them to investigate on a 4 post ramp. They're going to get the wheels spinning with the car in the air to see if they can spot any play/movement. I will of course let you all know of the outcome. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:18 AM
Members

Ok, it's good news. It's wheel/tyre related thank god. The tyres have moved on the rims knocking them out of balance. The cure is to strip the tyres off, sand the bead of the rim on the inside to give a key for the tyres to grip to and refit/balance the tyres/wheels with a couple more psi for good measure. Thank god it wasn't drivetrain related!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kieron' post='989062' date='Aug 26 2009, 06:18 AM
Ok, it's good news. It's wheel/tyre related thank god. The tyres have moved on the rims knocking them out of balance. The cure is to strip the tyres off, sand the bead of the rim on the inside to give a key for the tyres to grip to and refit/balance the tyres/wheels with a couple more psi for good measure. Thank god it wasn't drivetrain related!
Expect the worst and hope for the best. Good for you it was an easy fix
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Members

I've got a similar issue on a 04 530 with 70k. I feel a vibration coming from the rear of the car. I feel it in my seat. I'm trying to track it down. It's not bad enough to be noticable by everyone, but i drive 60 miles a day and feel it especially on flat smooth roads.

I've got a 6 speed and when i put the clutch in i still feel it. It seems to be more noticeable when i'm in a higher gear too.

Is this common on the e60s or just one of those things that happens?

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='986947' date='Aug 24 2009, 04:11 AM
Hi

It's a knowen problem by BMW's if the hardic-washer ( pos. 2 ,diagram 1 ) or the middel-bearing ( pos 10 , diagram 1 ) is worn , that it can give un-wanted vibration in the car , and it is very difficult to determen were it's comming from , I don't think it come's from the driveshafts going to the wheel's ( diagram 2 ) , not with that milage , but just a gess , based on my experience with the problem on E34 and E39

Good luck

Quick Reply: Not so sweet vibrations!!!