E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Not another speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

When you speed, you're bound to get a speeding ticket, right?

No, not in my circumstance.. I think I saw the cop before he saw me with his speed gun.. But I was sure I was still going fast as I past him.

Regardless, I pass the cop, and sure enough he pulls out behind me. Turns on his cherries, pulls me over and asks for the usual driver license, ownership and registration. But instead of going back to his car he starts touching my tail lights..

Hoping I don't get a ticket for my balcked out tail lights, the officer returns to my window and says "wait here, I'll be back." The cop comes back with a ticket stating "drive without proper rear light- motor vehicle"..

Now my problem is that I've been pulled over at least a dozen times without having any trouble. After telling him that he states it's impossible - its illegal and if someone rear ended me I would be at fault.

Lots of arguing
$110 ticket
Unnecessary stress
1 cop can ruin your whole day!

Going to fight this ticket
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Those types of tickets are always at the discretion of the officer, just because the dozen times you've been pulled over and you haven't gotten a ticket doesn't mean you can't get a ticket in the future.

I've been pulled over many times for not having a front license plate and never caught crap for having tinted windows. Finally, I got pulled over a couple months ago and the cop said you have tinted windows here's your fix it ticket.

If you knew you had a feeling that you were going to get a ticket for the taillights I would say you don't really have a case and you'll just end up wasting even more time.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

Dude consider yourself lucky.
I got pulled over at like 4AM while I was out car loaded with girls/guys. My tails were blackkked out.
I was speeding, the car was full of drunks, minus me, playing loud music. I mean he pulled me over and came back to me with just a fix it ticket for my lights, I wanted to step out and give the cop a hug. Put your originals back on, show them you fixed it, it costs $15. Go home, pop a beer and be happy.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Blacked out tail lights are played out by Honda's now. I would just return them back to stock using some paint remover and be done with it.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Those types of tickets are always at the discretion of the officer, just because the dozen times you've been pulled over and you haven't gotten a ticket doesn't mean you can't get a ticket in the future.

I've been pulled over many times for not having a front license plate and never caught crap for having tinted windows. Finally, I got pulled over a couple months ago and the cop said you have tinted windows here's your fix it ticket.

If you knew you had a feeling that you were going to get a ticket for the taillights I would say you don't really have a case and you'll just end up wasting even more time.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance
What they said.

One thing though, I was told by another member, which makes some sense is that if you usually drive with your parking lights on so that the taillight is lit partially and clearly visible, the cops are less likely to give you hassle for it.

Originally Posted by FRONJONI
Dude consider yourself lucky.
I got pulled over at like 4AM while I was out car loaded with girls/guys. My tails were blackkked out.
I was speeding, the car was full of drunks, minus me, playing loud music. I mean he pulled me over and came back to me with just a fix it ticket for my lights, I wanted to step out and give the cop a hug. Put your originals back on, show them you fixed it, it costs $15. Go home, pop a beer and be happy.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
What they said.

One thing though, I was told by another member, which makes some sense is that if you usually drive with your parking lights on so that the taillight is lit partially and clearly visible, the cops are less likely to give you hassle for it.

I always drive with my parking lights on for that reason + for my angel eyes..

How easy is it to remove paint :S
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Members

how do you plan on fighting a ticket when you clearly have improper equipment?

PS- driving with your parking lights on is also illegal.

woohoo!! that's my first post...
Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

Originally Posted by bambo2888

I didn't know driving with your parking lights on is illegal. Don't some cars have those lights come on automatically?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528 XI 6000k HiD Lows coming soon - black roundels - smoked led turn signals - tint - 6000k fogs - hid angel eyes - hid reverse light - led interior lights

be happy about it. ill take one of those over a speeding ticket any day....
Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by bambo2888

Yes, but that's such an archaic VC code that cops don't even know/care anyhow.

Quick Reply: Not another speeding ticket