E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it normal to have Navi dvd running when the car is off

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still getting used to my E60 so please let me know if this is normal.

I was sitting in my car talking on the phone with my key removed and car off but didn't lock the door. While I was talking, I noticed that the DVD/Navi player was making sound (reading, disc spinning occasionally) so it was definitely not off. I was curious if it makes any difference if i lock the door, same thing.

This is my first car with a Navi system so I don't know if it's normal for the player to be operating even when everything should be off. More than anything, I'm planning to leave for a business trip for a week so wondering if this will drain the battery fast.

Does anyone have an answer if this is normal or something wrong?

Thanks,
Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Yes,it is normal,I guess it stops when the car is in sleep mode but I've never found it necessary to find out.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Members

hmmm...sleep mode, huh? Do you know how long after the car is off that mode kicks-in? I was in the car for good 10min.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Members

For me it seems to start spinning the moment I open my car door.

I think it's useful when you're not quite ready to take off, but want to use your navigation. Probably saves boot-up time. The spinning seems to stop when there is 0 activity, but the moment you do something (even switch on a light), i'll hear it spin up again.

I'm pretty sure it's smart enough to not spin the DVD in your garage all night long.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Members

The thing is, I usually don't lock the car at night in my garage so wondering if i should start locking my car. I don't want it to be spinning all night long if the car is in 'open' position.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Members

Ah that's a good point, I too leave my car unlocked in the garage, would be good to have a definite answer if we should be locking it at night.

On an unrelated side note, when I bought my car there was a nav disc in the DVD drive, a nav disc in the CD drive (someone probably mistakenly put it there), and then a nav disc in the manual packet. No shortage of nav DVD's here.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

My battery's only a month old and just yesterday I noticed the lights went dimmer than usual, and the engine was turning over slightly slower than usual when starting the car. (Maybe because it's one degree C, or maybe because I did five separate 1 mile journeys in succession the day before, and it didn't charge up enough?).

Anyway, to save every ounce of power I've ejected the DVD and reentered it upside down so it can't spin up and waste battery every time I open the boot or unlock it to get something etc because it takes a good 20-30 mins to sleep properly. I've also switched the light switch to 0 so that I can switch the lights on AFTER the engine has started so as not to put extra load on the battery.

Every little helps.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
My battery's only a month old and just yesterday I noticed the lights went dimmer than usual, and the engine was turning over slightly slower than usual when starting the car. (Maybe because it's one degree C, or maybe because I did five separate 1 mile journeys in succession the day before, and it didn't charge up enough?).

Anyway, to save every ounce of power I've ejected the DVD and reentered it upside down so it can't spin up and waste battery every time I open the boot or unlock it to get something etc because it takes a good 20-30 mins to sleep properly. I've also switched the light switch to 0 so that I can switch the lights on AFTER the engine has started so as not to put extra load on the battery.

Every little helps.
Turn radio off before ejecting key as well.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by voekaenoe
hmmm...sleep mode, huh? Do you know how long after the car is off that mode kicks-in? I was in the car for good 10min.
You know it is in sleep mode when the red light by the auto selector goes out,it could take 10 to 20 minutes.