E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noisy Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005 | 12:43 PM
Contributors

Anyone experiencing noisy wipers? I originally thought it was the wipers and asked my dealer to change them during the oil service but apparently it wasn't the wipers. So they put the old ones back on

The wipers are not smearing at all so I guess they are still ok. It just seems like the wiper blade is applying too much pressure to the windscreen, causing the screeching/dragging sound everytime the wipers move. Same noise when travelling at low and high speed. Much louder on the passenger side (left) wiper. Anyone else have such an experience and got a way to solve it? Have you also noticed that the wipers don't have a spoiler on them or am I mistaken???

Will get my dealer to check it properly in a few weeks when in for the recall work and noisy doors etc.
Old 06-16-2005 | 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Thats the noise they make!

I have had the same noise on both my cars, I just live with it.

I pointed it out to my dealer and they just blamed the wiper manufacturers. Funny that when my E39 wipers were silent. Bangles obviously got something wrong!

Wack up the HiFi.
Old 06-16-2005 | 12:59 PM
Contributors

Well the noise only started happening about 2 months ago, so didn't have it before. That's why I originally thought it was the wipers wearing out. The wiper actions doesn't look smooth as before either.

Maybe I have to wipe the windscreen down with some oil to make it smoother Any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2005 | 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I think you could have a point. Cleaning the screen correctly with a proper automotive screen cleaner is probably the way to go to eliminate the dragging effect.
Old 06-16-2005 | 03:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

My wipers were loud and streaked alittle, the dealer replaced mine under warrenty very quite now
Old 06-16-2005 | 11:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' date='Jun 17 2005, 12:19 AM
My wipers were loud and streaked alittle, the dealer replaced mine under warrenty very quite now
[snapback]140259[/snapback]
Out of interest did they replace the wiper blade part only or the entire wiper arm including the wiper blade?
Old 06-16-2005 | 11:42 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 and F10

i ahve the same problem. I noticed it 2 days ago.
I haven't go to the dealer yet. it is maybe a small problem
Old 06-16-2005 | 11:46 PM
Members

I had the same noise problem on the passenger wiper blade. Bought a bottle of Halfords glass polish which solved the problem completely
Not many BMW problems solved for ?3.99
I suppose it is a build up of contaminants on the glass which causes it. My wiper blades are 18 months old and still OK.
Old 06-17-2005 | 01:20 AM
Members

NOisy wiper is a BMW 5 series trademark. BOth my E39 and E60 have very noisy wipers so much so that my friend's Toyota Corolla has much quieter wipers than mine. My dealer told me its because I applied car shampoo on my windscreen hich leaves behind a residue that creates friction when wipers sweep across the windscreen. I have lived with the noise for many years now since E39 days.

Originally Posted by db545' date='Jun 17 2005, 01:46 AM
I had the same noise problem on the passenger wiper blade. Bought a bottle of Halfords glass polish which solved the problem completely
Not many BMW problems solved for ?3.99
I suppose it is a build up of contaminants on the glass which causes it. My wiper blades are 18 months old and still OK.
[snapback]140302[/snapback]
Old 06-17-2005 | 01:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Jun 16 2005, 08:43 PM
Anyone experiencing noisy wipers? I originally thought it was the wipers and asked my dealer to change them during the oil service but apparently it wasn't the wipers. So they put the old ones back on?

The wipers are not smearing at all so I guess they are still ok.? It just seems like the wiper blade is applying too much pressure to the windscreen, causing the screeching/dragging sound everytime the wipers move.? Same noise when travelling at low and high speed.? Much louder on the passenger side (left) wiper.? Anyone else have such an experience and got a way to solve it?? Have you also noticed that the wipers don't have a spoiler on them or am I mistaken????

Will get my dealer to check it properly in a few weeks when in for the recall work and noisy doors etc.
[snapback]140209[/snapback]

i've just started getting this recently ... VERY annoying.
was waiting for a service to get them changed as they still clear the screen fine.

Quick Reply: Noisy Wipers