E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Windscreen Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E 60 520i Sport and yes this engine is still sold in Thailand!

Hello,
I recently got a new 520i in Bangkok and discovered that the windscreen wipers are very noisy. I whent to BMW and they changed the blades, but after a short while the screetching noise is back. Is there a way to adjust the tension on the blades or does anybody has an idea how to solve this? Rainy season is just around the corner!
Thanks
Jurgen
Old 04-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jurgen' post='411625' date='Apr 9 2007, 08:57 AM
Hello,
I recently got a new 520i in Bangkok and discovered that the windscreen wipers are very noisy. I whent to BMW and they changed the blades, but after a short while the screetching noise is back. Is there a way to adjust the tension on the blades or does anybody has an idea how to solve this? Rainy season is just around the corner!
Thanks
Jurgen
Try clean up your windscreen from possible color spray on it with a glass cleaning blade or with claybar

Oh ..and welcome!!
Old 04-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Are wipers covered under the new car warranty?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='411868' date='Apr 10 2007, 05:40 AM
Are wipers covered under the new car warranty?
Yes they are, but BMW says there is nothing wrong with the wipper mechanism
Old 04-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jurgen' post='411926' date='Apr 9 2007, 11:28 PM
Yes they are, but BMW says there is nothing wrong with the wipper mechanism
If the noise is from the rubber squeeking against the glass then probably you have accumulated "road film" on the windshield. So far I haven't found a glass cleaner that takes totally off the road film. However, the windshild polishers do. Try Griot's windshield polisher (I am sure other's make similar products) and your blades will fly over the windshield with no noise at all. I use it twice a year and can be applied either by hand or an orbital polisher. www.griotsgarage.com
Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Jurgen,

A couple of points:

The suggestion of having a good, clean, smooth screen is a good one, and the first place to start.

If the wipers are screeching or juddering when there is a lot of water on the screen, then there is something a little more serious wrong - if there is a lot of water, it lubricates the blades and masks any juddering or screeching. In this case, take it back to the Dealer and get it sorted. This sort of thing could be demonstrated in the garage with a watering can or hose.

If the wipers are only making a noise when there is just a little water on the screen, there may be something to be done. Assuming that the wipers are making a noise on only one part of the stroke (say, from the horizontal position to the "vertical" position), then it is usually the angle of attack of the blades and is easily remedied by twisting the wiper arm slightly, so the blade isn't trying to "dig into" the screen (a slightly exaggerated analogy, but I hope you can envisage what I mean). As an example, say your wipers are making a noise on the "upward" stroke. Look at your wiper blade (and arm) from the side of the car, towards the wiper arm pivot, so you are looking along the length of the (parked) blade. Slightly twist the wiper arm in a clockwise direction perhaps about ten degrees. A small adjustable spanner, with padding to prevent scratching is useful for this. Repeat for the other wiper if it's both that are noisy. Take it out for a test wipe and adjust as necessary. Obviously, if the noise is on the "downward" stroke, then twist anti-clockwise. In any case, you shouldn't need to twist the arm much.

There are blades called Valeo Silencio available for the E60 that I know absolutely nothing about, but judging by the name, may be quieter!!

My blades are quiet except at speed, when they generate wind noise when they are working - from about halfway up the screen, to halfway down the screen. It isn't intrusive and most people probably wouldn't notice it!

Good luck with the investigations.

Mike
Old 04-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='411649' date='Apr 9 2007, 03:21 PM
Try clean up your windscreen from possible color spray on it with a glass cleaning blade or with claybar

Oh ..and welcome!!
Thank you for the tips. I have tried to clean the glass with all sorts of special automotive cleaner. What is a glass cleaning blade? Do you know a place where to get this (counts also for the claybar) as being in the far east means certain things you have to import. Thanks for the welcome.

Cheers
Old 04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='411933' date='Apr 10 2007, 10:51 AM
Jurgen,

A couple of points:

The suggestion of having a good, clean, smooth screen is a good one, and the first place to start.

If the wipers are screeching or juddering when there is a lot of water on the screen, then there is something a little more serious wrong - if there is a lot of water, it lubricates the blades and masks any juddering or screeching. In this case, take it back to the Dealer and get it sorted. This sort of thing could be demonstrated in the garage with a watering can or hose.

If the wipers are only making a noise when there is just a little water on the screen, there may be something to be done. Assuming that the wipers are making a noise on only one part of the stroke (say, from the horizontal position to the "vertical" position), then it is usually the angle of attack of the blades and is easily remedied by twisting the wiper arm slightly, so the blade isn't trying to "dig into" the screen (a slightly exaggerated analogy, but I hope you can envisage what I mean). As an example, say your wipers are making a noise on the "upward" stroke. Look at your wiper blade (and arm) from the side of the car, towards the wiper arm pivot, so you are looking along the length of the (parked) blade. Slightly twist the wiper arm in a clockwise direction perhaps about ten degrees. A small adjustable spanner, with padding to prevent scratching is useful for this. Repeat for the other wiper if it's both that are noisy. Take it out for a test wipe and adjust as necessary. Obviously, if the noise is on the "downward" stroke, then twist anti-clockwise. In any case, you shouldn't need to twist the arm much.

There are blades called Valeo Silencio available for the E60 that I know absolutely nothing about, but judging by the name, may be quieter!!

My blades are quiet except at speed, when they generate wind noise when they are working - from about halfway up the screen, to halfway down the screen. It isn't intrusive and most people probably wouldn't notice it!

Good luck with the investigations.

Mike
Hello Mike,

Thank you for the advise. I will have to try this out. The noise is generated on the down stroke with the last third to go towards the rest position. It occurs at all speeds. I will post my findings.

Oh and a happy New Thai New Year "Sawadee bimay" to all of you.

Cheers
Jurgen
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by E60M5E60' post='411932' date='Apr 10 2007, 10:44 AM
If the noise is from the rubber squeeking against the glass then probably you have accumulated "road film" on the windshield. So far I haven't found a glass cleaner that takes totally off the road film. However, the windshild polishers do. Try Griot's windshield polisher (I am sure other's make similar products) and your blades will fly over the windshield with no noise at all. I use it twice a year and can be applied either by hand or an orbital polisher. www.griotsgarage.com
Thank you for the advise. Will have a lot of things to try out
Old 04-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Hi jurgen

I was wondering if you can get Rain-X in Bangkok? I have used it to some success in removing the squeeking noise from the wipers. It sorts of clean the "road-film" and at an angle, small tar-spots can also be easily detected and removed. Furthermore, it improves the surface tension on the windscreen and allows rain water to "roll" off freely - and you need not use the wipers so often!

And if all else fails, send your ride back to the dealer - a friend of mine had his E60 windscreen changed due to wiper noise!! This is after the dealer sent his car for windscreen polishing and the noise persists

Quick Reply: Noisy Windscreen Wipers