E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noisy electric Water Pump during coolant bleeding procedure

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric water pump failures

Originally Posted by baveagle
I was surprised by the amount of noise coming from the water pump when speeding up and slowing down during the 12 minute automatic bleeding process. It sounded like the screetchy noise a worn out bearing would produce. Before the coolant change I read many posts about it and seem to remember that some people wanted to know, how they could tell the pump was working at all, because they could not hear anything.
There is no CEL. INPA also shows no faults.
I'm curious - you must have hundreds of thousands of miles on your '08 for an electric water pump to fail ... of course I'm being sarcastic and somewhat discouraged (for you) about a failure that indicates to me (?what do I know?) an under-engineered and over-priced component.

BTW, I've never personally had a water (coolant) pump failure on any BMW (YET!). Hope I'm not jinxing myself
Old 11-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I'm curious - you must have hundreds of thousands of miles on your '08 for an electric water pump to fail ... of course I'm being sarcastic and somewhat discouraged (for you) about a failure that indicates to me (?what do I know?) an under-engineered and over-priced component.

BTW, I've never personally had a water (coolant) pump failure on any BMW (YET!). Hope I'm not jinxing myself
Assuming you do not have an electric water pump, you should be in a better position of not experiencing premature problems with yours.
Technically, my pump did not fail. It is noisy at times and the indy tech left it up to me to have it replaced or hang in until it fails, whenever that might be. In hindsight, the pump has been noisy at times for well over a year, but I could not pinpoint the source of the occasional noise until I ran the bleeding procedure after replacing the coolant.
I average only 5 to 6000 miles a year lately and the car now has 36K miles on it. So the performance of this pump is disappointing. The F10 N55 engine has a revised water pump which is recommended for the E60 N54 as a replacement. Keeping my fingers crossed.