E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noise while accelerating...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

I've been searching for about 20 minutes now to see if anyone else has voiced a similar issue, but I had no luck.

Anyways...I'm hearing a 'clicking' type noise only when I accelerate. It isn't extremely loud and I notice it when I'm going slower (btw 0-45 mph), but I think this is due to the fact that the car just gets louder at higher speeds and causes me not to be able to hear it beyond those speeds while accelerating. The noise sounds like its coming more from the front right side of the car up near the front right wheel/tire perhaps but not sure. It very well could be coming from the 'center' or inside the hood too. Its difficult to tell.

If anyone has any ideas as to what this may be I would greatly appreciate it. I haven't noticed any extreme performance issues by any means...just curious as to what it might be as it is a little annoying...Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Members

I have a noise from the engine when accelarating.
But it's not like clicking sound, it's like keep spinning sound.
I can't really explain but it's more like woo woo woo woo sound.
And I talk to service but they said it's normal.
And I also got a chance to drive my friend's vw gti, but it makes same sound.
I guess all the german engine make same spinning sound?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Contributors

Check your tires for foreign objects in the tread; under the hood for objects in the path of the serpentine belt. Also look underneath the car - there are plastic panels that can come loose when airflow causes them to flap in the breeze.

These are my initial thoughts.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Old 10-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='700457' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:04 PM
Check your tires for foreign objects in the tread; under the hood for objects in the path of the serpentine belt. Also look underneath the car - there are plastic panels that can come loose when airflow causes them to flap in the breeze.

These are my initial thoughts.
I appreciate the responses...I've done a pretty thorough check of anything that could be loose down in that area, but came up with nothing.
The only thing that makes me think its not that easy is that the noise goes away when I'm off the gas pedal. If I'm just coasting I don't have any noise...only when accelerating.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by tarfoot7' post='700516' date='Oct 22 2008, 08:32 PM
I appreciate the responses...I've done a pretty thorough check of anything that could be loose down in that area, but came up with nothing.
The only thing that makes me think its not that easy is that the noise goes away when I'm off the gas pedal. If I'm just coasting I don't have any noise...only when accelerating.

I been wondering the same thing aswell. To me it sound like a more metallic sound then just air or air making hitting something. I can hear it on start up every now and then and it is a very soft metallic vibration more present when givin' it gas. The sound comes and goes. Also the car handles like a champ and has been to the dealers a couple of times. Even the techs did not seem to notice anything was wrong. Hope someone can chime in as well on this issue.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Members

Motor Mount ?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarfoot7' post='700516' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:32 PM
I have a similar issue on my 2005 545i. It's like a whirring sound. Almost like some feedback or something. Can hear it best with the windows up and radio off. Can't hear it from outside, and it just started after 37k miles.

It doesn't seem like a motor-mount issue, as I can hear it when I rev the engine with the clutch in, but only when the throttle is opened. Seems like it would be some kind of noise associated with the valvetronic system. I was also thinking it was some kind of noise from the electronic throttle box.

Happens at all RPM's. Can have it in 6th, floor it and you'll hear it. Rises and falls in tempo/volume with RPM, but only appears when the throttle is open.

Am going to bring it in in a few weeks to have them take a listen. Will update.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i' post='701039' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:38 AM
I have a similar issue on my 2005 545i. It's like a whirring sound. Almost like some feedback or something. Can hear it best with the windows up and radio off. Can't hear it from outside, and it just started after 37k miles.

It doesn't seem like a motor-mount issue, as I can hear it when I rev the engine with the clutch in, but only when the throttle is opened. Seems like it would be some kind of noise associated with the valvetronic system. I was also thinking it was some kind of noise from the electronic throttle box.

Happens at all RPM's. Can have it in 6th, floor it and you'll hear it. Rises and falls in tempo/volume with RPM, but only appears when the throttle is open.

Am going to bring it in in a few weeks to have them take a listen. Will update.
Excellent...let us know if you figure anything out.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ksj4340' post='700454' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:01 PM
I have a noise from the engine when accelarating.
But it's not like clicking sound, it's like keep spinning sound.
I can't really explain but it's more like woo woo woo woo sound.
And I talk to service but they said it's normal.
And I also got a chance to drive my friend's vw gti, but it makes same sound.
I guess all the german engine make same spinning sound?

I also have this sound. Then I heard a few BMW's drive past me and heard the same noise, just said to myself that it had to be normal

Quick Reply: Noise while accelerating...?