E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noise under hood/pillar a right

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:55 AM
dbm
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a noise when go slow in bumpy rough roads that comes under pillar a or the hood in the right only, maybe also from door panel. Is not the classic creaking noise of seals, this is a knocking noise that mechanic tells seem a noise of suspensions but isnt it. Everything is checked in the front axle and all is ok. Car is a 530d sedan MY2006 with 30000km. Is very difficult also find the source exact of it. Someone got a noise similar to this or have some suggestion to check?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

I had a wheel bearing on my front right corner wear unexpectedly, but it was creating a roaring sound that combined with a slight grinding on gradual left turns. Sound anything like your issue?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I have the same sound. The same location too. I think it some loose cables in the right pillar possibly.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM
dbm
Members

@Will Greer: Append to me when go forward without sterring.
@Krozi: Dont think cables make do this noise, the exact place seems to be where hood connect with pillar.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:38 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by dbm' post='818428' date='Mar 16 2009, 10:02 PM
@Will Greer: Append to me when go forward without sterring.
@Krozi: Dont think cables make do this noise, the exact place seems to be where hood connect with pillar.
I'm having the same noise in the same area. Don't know where it comes from.
But it's not very loud, I can hear it only when radio is off.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:23 AM
dbm
Members

Is a thump noise, delear tells that the cause can be the swing support of sway bar. Anyone had issue with them?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dbm' post='818155' date='Mar 16 2009, 02:55 PM
I have a noise when go slow in bumpy rough roads that comes under pillar a or the hood in the right only, maybe also from door panel. Is not the classic creaking noise of seals, this is a knocking noise that mechanic tells seem a noise of suspensions but isnt it. Everything is checked in the front axle and all is ok. Car is a 530d sedan MY2006 with 30000km. Is very difficult also find the source exact of it. Someone got a noise similar to this or have some suggestion to check?
Hi I've just solved a knocking noise on my 530d, although mine was ok in a straight line but used to knock when steering right or left.

The sound was very hard to pin point and sounded like it was coming from the dash windscreen area, it turned out to be one of the engine mounts that was loose, it bolts down onto the subframe and everytime it moved the noise would be transmitted by the subframe to the bulkhead.

It wasn't the large nut on top that was loose but the studs that hold the whole mount, visually it looked ok and I only checked them because I couldn't think of anything else to check, I was able to undo two of the studs by hand.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Are you guys sure the source of your noise isn't related to the following HERE!

Mine began to make a noise following an air-filter replacement - basically the nuts on the strut brace hadn't been done up to the correct torque. I couldn't pin point where the awful noise was coming from to begin with - first I thought it was the centre of the dash, then the left A Pillar and so on. Tightening the nuts 100% cured the problem - which is a well known fault.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
dbm
Members

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='824520' date='Mar 23 2009, 05:49 PM
Are you guys sure the source of your noise isn't related to the following HERE!

Mine began to make a noise following an air-filter replacement - basically the nuts on the strut brace hadn't been done up to the correct torque. I couldn't pin point where the awful noise was coming from to begin with - first I thought it was the centre of the dash, then the left A Pillar and so on. Tightening the nuts 100% cured the problem - which is a well known fault.
Not for me.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by dbm' post='824802' date='Mar 23 2009, 09:52 PM
Not for me.
Have you checked the torque of the Strut Brace Nuts if only to eliminate this?

Quick Reply: Noise under hood/pillar a right