E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

noise in steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

I have the groan of which you speak....only occurs when making sharp turns at low speed. It is the power steering pump making the noise. I have also heard that it's related to the fluid, as other have said, but since my dealer cannot replicate the noise, I just deal with it.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525d

Originally Posted by DrLev99
I have the groan of which you speak....only occurs when making sharp turns at low speed. It is the power steering pump making the noise. I have also heard that it's related to the fluid, as other have said, but since my dealer cannot replicate the noise, I just deal with it.
It must be somehow related to the fluid, as the flush the dealer did of mine cured it for a few months. Unfortunately it has now returned, so if anyone else has any cures that don't involve a new $2000 steering rack that would be great
Old 01-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by vishwen
ok will wait let's hope it work but they did not add any thing , they just change the fluid.
V, sorry to hear about this. If the problem persists, I'm afraid the only solution might be to replace the steering rack. If your car is out of warranty, I would begin by finding a reputable indy shop. G/L
Old 01-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Hey Guys, I have this same problem. Sounds like a pump actuator or something every time I turn. I took it to the dealership and although they heard the noise, they couldn't figure out what it is.
Several of you mentioned there is a TSB on this. Does anyone have the actual Bulletin?
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i | Titanium Silver | Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation packages | Style 124 staggered rims | iPod integration | Tinted windows

Hey Guys, does anyone have the TSB on this issue with noise while steering? Several of you mentioned getting it fixed at the dealership under warranty. I took mine in, and although they admitted to the noise while steering, the dealership did not know what to do. Any help is appreciated. thanks!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Silver_545i
Hey Guys, does anyone have the TSB on this issue with noise while steering? Several of you mentioned getting it fixed at the dealership under warranty. I took mine in, and although they admitted to the noise while steering, the dealership did not know what to do. Any help is appreciated. thanks!

same problem i currently have
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 AM
MAK
Members

Hi Guys...
I am having noise problems with the steering on my UK spec 520i at the moment and it appears to be from the steering column at the steering wheel end. Sounds like a dry joint noise ie; a squeek and rubbing noise(usually heard at low speed when parking or a slow turning manoeuvre.)

Anyway I came upon this threadMy link
which relates to the E46 and wondered if this could in any way relate to noise problems with the E60.Makes interesting reading and worth a try maybe. Have not had a chance to suss out this yet but may investigate over the weekend.

Meanwhile any comments or solutions would be most welcome.

Mak
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

My car has just come back from the dealer yesterday to fix this same problem. Third time they have done something to try and fix it. First they put an additive into the steering fluid, second visit they lubricated the column, now apparently BMW have given them some stuff they have to inject between the steering column and the shaft. Previous time the fix worked for a few weeks/months before returning.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Members

I had the similar problem, about 2 times already. And I'm in a cold climate. These occurred while I was pulling into a parking space...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by DrLev99

same here. Only at cold temps and non-reproducible by dealer. So i too have to live with it Not too bad though since we only get to 50 degrees in AZ for a few months and the rest of the year scalding hot temps

Quick Reply: noise in steering