E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No start a couple times in 2 days

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Since last Thursday (9/1), my E60 could not start for a couple times. When I turned the key, I could only see the console light came on but no beeps/rings and no crank from starter neither. When I tried a few more times to start the car, it slowly picked up the number of times/cranks. Finally, it started.

Did it mean that battery is on it's way out ? My car battery is still the original (from 2004). If I do need a new battery, what is the alternative choice other than BMW brand ? Also, how much would dealer charge to register new battery ?

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

yeah, sounds like the battery is on it's way out from what you described. I'm surprised you aren't having any other problems such as iDrive playing up etc.

1. You might be able to check it by doing this:
Follow instructions here: http://www.scoopz.com/m5board/E60_Hi...structions.pdf
and go to number 9 and check the battery voltage, both with engine off and engine on. Report back.

2. Most people don't register the battery and have no problems with it. (if you are handy with the OBD port and have the cable and software, you can register it yourself, should you wish.)

You can replace with pretty much any battery, just make sure the capacity is the same or higher. e60's are bad at keeping the battery fully charged, so it's important you do this. Also, try and keep short journeys to a minimum.

Sanj
Old 09-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
yeah, sounds like the battery is on it's way out from what you described. I'm surprised you aren't having any other problems such as iDrive playing up etc.

1. You might be able to check it by doing this:
Follow instructions here: http://www.scoopz.com/m5board/E60_Hi...structions.pdf
and go to number 9 and check the battery voltage, both with engine off and engine on. Report back.

2. Most people don't register the battery and have no problems with it. (if you are handy with the OBD port and have the cable and software, you can register it yourself, should you wish.)

You can replace with pretty much any battery, just make sure the capacity is the same or higher. e60's are bad at keeping the battery fully charged, so it's important you do this. Also, try and keep short journeys to a minimum.

Sanj
Thanks for the response. The link provided was for M5 car. Would it work with E60 - 530i ?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

my friend. you are lucky I saw this today.

want to save yourself 800 bucks by not replacing your starter?

get the battery replaced ASAP. if you have AAA they should replace it for 150 or less.

I made the mistake of cranking the engine and not replacing the battery.

=(
Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the advice. I am looking for battery right now, either OEM or aftermarket. What is BMW AGM battery ?

It seems that ECS Tuning and Bavarian Auto do not sell battery anymore....

Thanks,
Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by lcc014
Thanks for the response. The link provided was for M5 car. Would it work with E60 - 530i ?
Yes it does. Works for all e60's.

Originally Posted by .:reza:.
my friend. you are lucky I saw this today.

want to save yourself 800 bucks by not replacing your starter?

get the battery replaced ASAP. if you have AAA they should replace it for 150 or less.

I made the mistake of cranking the engine and not replacing the battery.

=(
Reza is right, I forgot to mention this... if you try and start the engine but it is not turning over, you are essentially going to burn the starter motor out. But this doesn't mean you can't try to start it... do so by all means, but if it doesn't crack within 1-2 seconds of you turning the key, IMMEDIATELY bring the key back to 0 and try again a few minutes later.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the tips. I just opened up the battery compartment and saw a pool of water (about 1/2 inches deep) surrounding the battery. When I looked around further, I saw the small tube on the positive terminal side was disconnected from the drain tubing. That might be the cause of my "bad" battery. The status of the battery was in "black dot" not "green dot" when looking at the circular clear window on top of the battery. "black dot" meant insufficient charge ..... My battery is 110Ah, 850A. I only found a couple places online where I could buy this battery. Dealer MSRP is $233.xx while online price is $191.xx + $16 shipping.
I am going to order this battery online and then ask dealer to register the battery for me.

Thanks,
Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i and '99 E46 328i

Many of the online retailers do not carry batteries anymore because of the hassle of shipping a HAZMAT item. You can only shipped a sealed battery or a battery + acid separate (legally).

The "pool of water" is most likely acidic and you need to clean it out ASAP to prevent corrosion.

You may also want to check local shops, many are now carrying BOSCH battery line which will have a battery in the right size for nearly every BMW. You can find a listing of Bosch Certified Shops (BCS) online.

I would recommend upgrading to a sealed battery to prevent the same issue from happening later down the road, a sealed battery will never leak! (unless you puncture it somehow)

Originally Posted by lcc014
Thanks for the tips. I just opened up the battery compartment and saw a pool of water (about 1/2 inches deep) surrounding the battery. When I looked around further, I saw the small tube on the positive terminal side was disconnected from the drain tubing. That might be the cause of my "bad" battery. The status of the battery was in "black dot" not "green dot" when looking at the circular clear window on top of the battery. "black dot" meant insufficient charge ..... My battery is 110Ah, 850A. I only found a couple places online where I could buy this battery. Dealer MSRP is $233.xx while online price is $191.xx + $16 shipping.
I am going to order this battery online and then ask dealer to register the battery for me.

Thanks,
Old 09-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VTCMart
Many of the online retailers do not carry batteries anymore because of the hassle of shipping a HAZMAT item. You can only shipped a sealed battery or a battery + acid separate (legally).

The "pool of water" is most likely acidic and you need to clean it out ASAP to prevent corrosion.

You may also want to check local shops, many are now carrying BOSCH battery line which will have a battery in the right size for nearly every BMW. You can find a listing of Bosch Certified Shops (BCS) online.

I would recommend upgrading to a sealed battery to prevent the same issue from happening later down the road, a sealed battery will never leak! (unless you puncture it somehow)
Thanks, I will check out Bosch battery. The BMW batteries from dealers are made by Eixide.