E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No Red Reflectors!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by Bokke' date='Feb 15 2005, 10:52 AM
Red all the way....
[snapback]90461[/snapback]
Bokke,

Love the wheels...... Those are the same ones I'm looking at. What size did you go with? Did you have to disable the low tire pressure gizmo? Did you keep the stagger?

Post more pics please............

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
Old 02-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:43 PM
I just don't get why the Fives don't come from Germany with the Red Reflectors.? There are plenty of cars out there such as Mazda and Lexus that have the red reflectors, so I know it isn't some kind of 'U.S.' legal issue.
[snapback]90526[/snapback]
It is exactly a legal issue. They were not approved for use in the U.S. because they didn't meet federal regulations. Too low I believe. Seems like a rediculous application of the letter of a law - as if no reflector is better than one that is too low somehow. Nevertheless, I suppose it isn't desirable to allow a variance from one supplier or all of them might try it on. Rather than re-design the rear bumper to make it pass, BWM just slapped on the band-aid solution.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: COMING!! 2006 M5 - December build - January delivery. 2004 530i - Silver Gray Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Premium Sound Pkg; Cold Weather Pkg; Steptronic; Comfort Seats; Glass Moonroof; Rear Side Airbags; Adaptive Bi-xenon; Euro Rear Reflectors - Delivered 12/3/03 2003 M3 - Carbon Black Metallic; Black Leather; Premium Pkg; Park Distance Control; Xenon; Hardon-Kardon; Alum Int. Trim; SMG - Delivered 2/17/03

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:52 PM
[quote name='acribb' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:43 PM']I just don't get why the Fives don't come from Germany with the Red Reflectors.? There are plenty of cars out there such as Mazda and Lexus that have the red reflectors, so I know it isn't some kind of 'U.S.' legal issue.
It is exactly a legal issue. They were not approved for use in the U.S. because they didn't meet federal regulations. Too low I believe. Seems like a rediculous application of the letter of a law - as if no reflector is better than one that is too low somehow. Nevertheless, I suppose it isn't desirable to allow a variance from one supplier or all of them might try it on. Rather than re-design the rear bumper to make it pass, BWM just slapped on the band-aid solution.
[snapback]90534[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's the best explanation I've heard so far!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Members

Does anybody have a photo of their Titanium Gray Metallic....I am having a heck of a time deciding between this color and saphire metallic black (both with black leather). Any opinions...I will keep the car for the long term...
Old 02-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:23 PM
Does anybody have a photo of their Titanium Gray Metallic....I am having a heck of a time deciding between this color and saphire metallic black (both with black leather). Any opinions...I will keep the car for the long term...
[snapback]90548[/snapback]
A good start would be to go to the Gallery section of the forum, where all the different exterior colors have pictures posted...
Old 02-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:23 PM
[snapback]90548[/snapback]
Go to members photo gallery, then to my ride, then to page 3, Jim's 545. That is titanium gray metallic.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:52 PM
[quote name='acribb' date='Feb 15 2005, 02:43 PM']I just don't get why the Fives don't come from Germany with the Red Reflectors.? There are plenty of cars out there such as Mazda and Lexus that have the red reflectors, so I know it isn't some kind of 'U.S.' legal issue.
[snapback]90534[/snapback]
[/quote]
For those that want to decipher the legalese of the regulations of our fair country, feel free to read section 571.108 of this file: 49_CFR.pdf

Happy reading!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Contributors

I replaced the butt-ugly black inserts with the red rear reflectors on my E60 last fall. I think they look great with Titanium Silver. They add some visual interest to the expanse of the lower rear bumper...and they are excellent reflectors. At night they look as if they are illuminated when lights shine on them.

BMW's accessories catalog for the 2005 5 Series shows the red reflectors. They can be purchased at BMW Centers.

I've noticed that the 2005 E60s at the dealer have body-colored inserts rather than the ugly black ones.

By the way, the 3 Series and 6 Series Coupes/Cabriolets also have red reflectors in the lower rear bumper.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My '05 came with the black, not body colored. I think they were only body colored for the light colored cars.

Did not matter, cuz they be red now.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by pbsaj' date='Feb 15 2005, 10:17 AM
They are supposed to be REFLECTORS - for safety reasons - and they also look good in red.
[snapback]90445[/snapback]
Why don't they come on the US cars? Some have said they are not legal in the US which isn't the case, as 3 series have them and Acura Integras have them.

With M3's in the US, its very popular for people to paint their front amber reflectors. The euro M3 front bumper has no amber reflectors on it.

Its kind of ironic that with the 545, people in the US are adding reflectors. BMW AG is probably shaking their heads going...we can't please those fickle US consumers no matter what we do.

I'm not sure if I like the reflectors or not....still thinking about it.

Quick Reply: No Red Reflectors!