E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

NO HEAT ! and its fall !

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys i have a 2006 525xi and i cant get heat noooooooo where in the car, and its almost winter in Canada. If i turn the idrive to hot then turn the temperature dials to the max and fan to the max all i get is air blowing out the top of the dash(defroster vents). Air condition works perfect and is freezing cold. The air ambient temperature sensor is broken giving a really high reading, dont know if that could be the cause. Please any help is very appreciated.

Thanks
Randy Rashid.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by undacovalova
Hey guys i have a 2006 525xi and i cant get heat noooooooo where in the car, and its almost winter in Canada. If i turn the idrive to hot then turn the temperature dials to the max and fan to the max all i get is air blowing out the top of the dash(defroster vents). Air condition works perfect and is freezing cold. The air ambient temperature sensor is broken giving a really high reading, dont know if that could be the cause. Please any help is very appreciated.

Thanks
Randy Rashid.
You should replace air ambient temperature sensor first - it is not that expensive and it is pretty easy to replace
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Thanks
Randy Rashid.
Well ok let me get into this for you hope you can pinpoint the problem;

Because your car's heating system works off of the cooling system, sometimes, heating system malfunctions are caused by problems in the cooling system. One of the first things to check when your car heater is not working is your engine coolant level. If your car has a coolant leak in the cooling system, the heater will not be able to produce adequate heat. In any event, to keep your car running optimally, you should regularly check the coolant level. For safety reasons, this absolutely must be done only when the engine is completely cooled down. This safety point cannot be over-emphasized.

Opening the cooling system of a hot engine presents a terrible burn hazard, as the fluid in your car's cooling system is dangerously hot and pressurized when the car has been in operation. It is best to

If there is too little coolant in the reservoir, you should be alert to the possibility that there could be a leak somewhere in your car's cooling system, but you may nonetheless remove the reservoir cap and add coolant to the Full-Cold line. Obviously, if a very short time after you refill the coolant reservoir, the coolant level is low, there is a leak in your car's cooling system. Many points in your car's cooling system are liable to develop leaks through which coolant can escape. Too little coolant in the cooling system will result in a malfunctioning heater. To inspect for a leak in your car's cooling system, you should understand that the main physical components involved in the cooling system:

Engine block
Thermostat
Upper and Lower Hoses
Radiator
Radiator Cap
Radiator Fan
Water Pump
Heater Core
Heater Hoses
Heater Blower Fan Motor
A leak in the heater core occurs most often in escaped coolant on the heather core area!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Members

No i fully understand the coolant system on regular cars, but isnt this a little different? my 240sx with sr20det has everything but doesnt have electronic heater valve ect. I just ordered the ambient temp sensor.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Members

there is no leak btw
Old 10-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Thanks
Randy Rashid.
Can you post a pic of your idrive settings. I had a similar problem. I posted it in this thread. I hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Well like I said you go step by step first the basics then the electronics such as switches,sensors,thermo couplers,etc.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Members

What exactly are the electronics to look at? and btw seanjordan its not that because i get zero heat, even the defrost button is cold air.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Members

eh, so what was the verdict on this one? did you replace the sensor and did it work?

My heat wasn't working at all and I replaced the Thermostat (and waterpump because it had the plastic impellars... don't have to replace though) and heat works great...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

you stated, air temp sensor is broken, showed a high temp, it might not broken, it can be just disconnected. Check your temp sesor, all system works from temp sensor, your temp regualtor is working from temp sensor reading.

Quick Reply: NO HEAT ! and its fall !