E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No audio and SOS call system failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by skunkd
does anyone know where the MPM is located in an e70 X5? I'm having these same exact issues!
You didn't specify year. I believe after a specific build date they did away with this. So you may not have it.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528xi

Originally Posted by Techno79
On Friday night my car was working fine as I parked it on my drive. 12 hours later (Saturday morning), I get an SOS call system failure message on the iDrive and also have the following issues which have all happened at the same time:
1. No audio from FM, DAB, USB key, Sat Nav, Parking sensors.
2. Radio interface works and allows selection of the radio stations but no audio is present.
3. Pressing the CD button on the iDrive controller does not do anything.
4. Pressing the Tel button on the iDrive brings up a message to say that no phone has been installed (can't remember the exact words of this message).
5. Navigating somewhere does not bring up the directions on the HUD (HUD still shows other messages and info i.e. the SOS error, current speed and cruise control settings).

I thought it was a glitch so I left the car on the drive until the next day as I didn't need to use the car. However even after 10 hours later, the car still has the same issue. I've read the postings to do with SOS Call System Failure but none of them seemed to indicate they were suffering all the other symptoms that I'm showing. I'm going to take it to the garage this week but just wondering if anyone else had this exact problem which would help me get some more background info.

TIA
I had the same symptoms (except for number 5, because I don't have NAV) and the dealership diagnosed it as water damage to the ULF, RDC and PDC modules in my trunk. (See my post called "Need help - fried computers in trunk"). If you read that post, it lists some suggestions from some very helpful forum members. Apparently, the PDC and RDC are plug and play, but the bad ULF is breaking my MOST network. I got a patch on the way that hopefully works to get me back my audio, as I didn't really ever use or cared for the bluetooth, tire pressure monitors or parking distance sensors. (all of which I driven without for the past 18 years in other cars I've owned).

Also, if you go to the BMW Coders forum, you can download almost all of the wiring and electrical training manuals, which will help you understand what might be going on.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT

Originally Posted by Sammy Adams
I had the same symptoms (except for number 5, because I don't have NAV) and the dealership diagnosed it as water damage to the ULF, RDC and PDC modules in my trunk. (See my post called "Need help - fried computers in trunk"). If you read that post, it lists some suggestions from some very helpful forum members. Apparently, the PDC and RDC are plug and play, but the bad ULF is breaking my MOST network. I got a patch on the way that hopefully works to get me back my audio, as I didn't really ever use or cared for the bluetooth, tire pressure monitors or parking distance sensors. (all of which I driven without for the past 18 years in other cars I've owned).

Also, if you go to the BMW Coders forum, you can download almost all of the wiring and electrical training manuals, which will help you understand what might be going on.
where did you purchase the parts from: PDC, RDC and Patch? I'd really like to try this for my SOS Call Malfunction / No Audio problem...
Old 12-25-2013, 01:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Silver, LOADED

I will be checking into this s I went to a trustd Indy shop and they said it may be a MOST loop comm issue, but they were not 100% certain and that its most likely my dash unit failed.
I will report back with my visual inspection findings (will check this weekend due to theHoliday and a boot full of loot).
Thank you SOOOOO much for this helpful guidance!!

CHEERS!!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Members

Did you get an answer which MOST loop component is a issue? I've tried to isolate TCU with a hardware and software changes but still getting intermediate problems with sound.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:26 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 M6 convertible
Default same problem as Techno 79

I discovered this issue after taking my car in for rack and pinion changout. Battery was disconnected. Can't select radio or station and no sound on CD. Reset on the system does work pushing the eject and sound on button. Doesn't ask for a code.
Where do you start in the troubleshooting of this issue? How do you isolate down to components that me dropping from the fiber loop? I understand there are fiber patches that let you route around the malfunctioning part and complete the fiber circuit?

Not sure it matters but this is a 2007 M6 convertible.

Last edited by Williamsrb1; 03-22-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Holy old thread batman!

Yes, you need a MOST bypass. I did this to bypass my malfunctioning satellite radio. You could buy the loop (and the connector, I'll list the part numbers below) and start at the device closest to the head unit and disconnect them one by one away from the CCC.

MOST Jumper: P/N 61136917541
Connector Housing: P/N 61136917978

Those part numbers won't come back as matching for the E60, since they were not original parts on the car, but they do fit.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
Yes, you need a MOST bypass.
Clarification: I'm not saying bypassing will solve your issues, but if you want to try that route, you'll need to buy the bypass and connector.