E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No audio and SOS call system failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Friday night my car was working fine as I parked it on my drive. 12 hours later (Saturday morning), I get an SOS call system failure message on the iDrive and also have the following issues which have all happened at the same time:
1. No audio from FM, DAB, USB key, Sat Nav, Parking sensors.
2. Radio interface works and allows selection of the radio stations but no audio is present.
3. Pressing the CD button on the iDrive controller does not do anything.
4. Pressing the Tel button on the iDrive brings up a message to say that no phone has been installed (can't remember the exact words of this message).
5. Navigating somewhere does not bring up the directions on the HUD (HUD still shows other messages and info i.e. the SOS error, current speed and cruise control settings).

I thought it was a glitch so I left the car on the drive until the next day as I didn't need to use the car. However even after 10 hours later, the car still has the same issue. I've read the postings to do with SOS Call System Failure but none of them seemed to indicate they were suffering all the other symptoms that I'm showing. I'm going to take it to the garage this week but just wondering if anyone else had this exact problem which would help me get some more background info.

TIA
Old 11-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='1064407' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:52 AM
On Friday night my car was working fine as I parked it on my drive. 12 hours later (Saturday morning), I get an SOS call system failure message on the iDrive and also have the following issues which have all happened at the same time:
1. No audio from FM, DAB, USB key, Sat Nav, Parking sensors.
2. Radio interface works and allows selection of the radio stations but no audio is present.
3. Pressing the CD button on the iDrive controller does not do anything.
4. Pressing the Tel button on the iDrive brings up a message to say that no phone has been installed (can't remember the exact words of this message).
5. Navigating somewhere does not bring up the directions on the HUD (HUD still shows other messages and info i.e. the SOS error, current speed and cruise control settings).

I thought it was a glitch so I left the car on the drive until the next day as I didn't need to use the car. However even after 10 hours later, the car still has the same issue. I've read the postings to do with SOS Call System Failure but none of them seemed to indicate they were suffering all the other symptoms that I'm showing. I'm going to take it to the garage this week but just wondering if anyone else had this exact problem which would help me get some more background info.

TIA
Sounds like a computer issue or the CCC (head unit if you have profesional nav system) the CCC is tied into most of the above besides the HUD...I'm not sure becuase i dont have that. Perhaps you should check fuses first. Always check fuses first. There is also a fuse on the back of the CCC as well. But check all the easy access fuses in right trunk and in glove box (behind the back panel) the Fuse legend is in your trunks first aid kit. Also try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes and then reconnect.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

mine has done it 4-5 times over the past 6 months...last time was yesterday actually. Had all the same symptoms as you......but with mine after about 10-15 mins of driving, the i-drive reboots and everything is back to normal afterwards. I need to take it in while it under warranty......
Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Members

Friday around 4:30pm I would say, I jumped in the car to move it quickly and I had a pop up showing no SOS service as well. All seems fine now, I didn't look into it any further.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1064667' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:31 PM
mine has done it 4-5 times over the past 6 months...last time was yesterday actually. Had all the same symptoms as you......but with mine after about 10-15 mins of driving, the i-drive reboots and everything is back to normal afterwards. I need to take it in while it under warranty......
I'm having the exact same problem as described by ktlocklear above. Anyone able to figure out what this is and if it can be fixed. I only have about 6 months left on warranty so would like to take it to dealer if its fixable.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by omszz' post='1069625' date='Dec 7 2009, 06:40 PM
I'm having the exact same problem as described by ktlocklear above. Anyone able to figure out what this is and if it can be fixed. I only have about 6 months left on warranty so would like to take it to dealer if its fixable.
I dropping mine off at the dealer on the 14th for this issue...along with the shortened operating distance of the key fob. I'll report back when I get it back
Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver Gray, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Navigation, HUD, Anthracite Trim and 19' Style 172's

Exact problem with my car right now, I just started getting the SOS Communication Error message as well.Let us know what the tech's diagnose it as.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by kci_4002' post='1069850' date='Dec 7 2009, 11:21 PM
Exact problem with my car right now, I just started getting the SOS Communication Error message as well.Let us know what the tech's diagnose it as.
Could be a problem with any one of the MOST loop components. If any part of the loop opens you will get the SOS communication error as well as loss of audio. A failure of the mask/ccc, tcu, audio amplifier, sat receiver, etc can cause this.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Members

Did anyone get this resolved successfully? What was required to fix?
Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi

For me it sounds to most likely be a battery voltage issue , thees symtoms will come when the voltage is low on the battery , so try and put a charger on the battery over night , remember thees car's need a"lot" of power even when they are "shot down" , and if the voltage is low and you start the car it gives a "chock" in the system that can cours this problems , and as described after some miles of driving all get's back to normal ( the battery is charged from the cars generator ) .

We know that battery's on the e6x's only last for about 3-4 years , and many short trip's dosen't do the battery any good either ( don't get fully charged from the car it self ).

Hope this info can help you a littel

Quick Reply: No audio and SOS call system failure