E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Next Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Friends:

I've been mulling over our next change of cars--in two years--maybe a bit prematurely, but probably not since enough facts probably are known now. Currently, we have my 545i, my Z06, and my wife's X5. We probably will move to having only two cars the next time around, and I want to have one very fast sedan. I might keep the Z06 (modding it a bit--a good less expensive alternative since it has only 10k miles and is paid for), get a new one, or replace it with some other sporty car, perhaps the Z4 M roadster or coupe or the SLK AMG. I am leaning toward keeping the Z06 in modded form as we are rapidly approaching full-time retirement.

Since the Alpina B5, which I'd buy in a second unless unreasonably priced, is not available in the US, it looks to me like the only somewhat reasonably priced fast-sedan contenders are the M5, the CLS AMG, and the E55 AMG. Unfortunately, while the M5 is an exceptional car, I don't want one for several reasons.

First, I am not sold on the SMG, in general, and especially not as a replacement for a true automatic--which we would want. In this regard, the Mercs have excellent 7-speed automatics--that allow rapid sifting and true manual control--like no automatic shifting in M mode before hitting the rev limiter. Second, the M5 gas mileage is atrocious, while he Mercs get very good mileage. Third, the low "torqueness" of the M5 is unsatisfactory for an around-town car, while the Mercs are torque monsters (love a supercharged V-8). And, last, the handling of the M5, although not its feel, is somewhat wasted on me because I seldomly do any sort of truly fast twisty taking. It's hard enough to find a place to go straight fast in the city. It's too bad for me, but, IMO, the M5 is a great bargain--but only if one wants to drive a quasi-track car around town (wasting the experience of its engineering), drive mostly on the open road, or wants to track the car. In this regard, the Mercs are better engineered for around town at least from the ride comfort perspective--not that the M5 rides badly.

I would like to stay in the BMW family, but it looks like BMW won't have a car for me. I keep trying to talk myself into an M5, but I know that I will not succeed.

I have though also of having an M3 and a 550i, but the M3 won't equal the performance level of even my unmodded Z06--which is paid for. The "paid for ness" of the Z06 also argues against getting any of the "sporty" cars mentioned above. And, even with the minimal mods I would do, the Z06 would approach the acceleration ability of the new Z06. I'd simply increase the rear-end ratio to 3.73 or 3.9, get an intake, keep running my drag radials, and have a dyno tune. I'd pick up the equivalent of, say, 70 FWHP.

What to do? What to do?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Originally Posted by Znod' post='297944' date='Jun 15 2006, 06:09 PM
I have though of having an M3 and a 550i, but the M3 won't equal the performance level of even my unmodded Z06--which is paid for. The "paid for ness" of the Z06 also argues against getting any of the "sporty" cars mentioned above. And, even with the minimal mods I would do, the Z06 would approach the acceleration ability of the new Z06. I'd simply increase the rear-end ratio to 3.73 or 3.9, get an intake, keep running my drag radials, and have a dyno tune. I'd pick up the equivalent of, say, 70 FWHP.

What to do? What to do?
Why not wait till the release of the F10 in 2006?

If you think of having an M3, a 550i and a Z06; wouldn't that be 3 cars too
Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BMW ///M 525xi' post='297950' date='Jun 15 2006, 11:24 AM
Why not wait till the release of the F10 in 2006?

If you think of having an M3, a 550i and a Z06; wouldn't that be 3 cars too
It would be, but that's now what I am thinking of. One fast sedan and one other car--Z06 old, Z06 new, SLK AMG, M3, Z4 M roadster or coupe--and I could throw in a Lotus or a Catterham as other fun possibilities. I don't mind wasting most of the engineeering on the second car as long as it is fast enough. An F10 might be a bit pricey.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

Despite the lack of clear timetable, I would suggest waiting for a 550i with the new ZSG transmission - that way you get the automatic-like behavior you want. Then you can throw in a Lotus Elise for fun if you get the need for an agile slot car.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

does your wife have to have the X5?
i'll keep the z06 cause its paid for and with mods will give you ample performance, but it is not a car you will drive daily, nor your wife.
since the reasoning is to only keep 2 cars, the X5 and 545 has to go.
if she's more comfortable in an SUV cause of size/comfort and luxury then your obvious choice is to go for the new up and coming X5 4.9.
alternatively, if she can live with a high performance sedan. which will rule out the M coupe and M3 (V8) - too small for her shopping, then your choices are simple.
E55 (looks too blend/too common), CLS55 (rear seats too small) (or is it AMG65 now?) 550i (smae thing as you already got) and B7 (WOW), yes have you consider the B7?

from my observation, since you mention approaching retirement and living in Pheonix, i'll get the new S class AMG 65. the mercedes style of drivng will be more suited for you as the years row along, ample power with finesse.
people do age, then age gracefully. everyone will be admiring your car. so its either S AMG 65 or B7, if you want to stay in the family.

wouldnt it be nice to start a conversation by, "my previous cars are beemers which were fantastic, but now I am driving AMG......"
Old 06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rollee' post='297978' date='Jun 15 2006, 11:22 AM
does your wife have to have the X5?
i'll keep the z06 cause its paid for and with mods will give you ample performance, but it is not a car you will drive daily, nor your wife.
since the reasoning is to only keep 2 cars, the X5 and 545 has to go.
if she's more comfortable in an SUV cause of size/comfort and luxury then your obvious choice is to go for the new up and coming X5 4.9.
alternatively, if she can live with a high performance sedan. which will rule out the M coupe and M3 (V8) - too small for her shopping, then your choices are simple.
E55 (looks too blend/too common), CLS55 (rear seats too small) (or is it AMG65 now?) 550i (smae thing as you already got) and B7 (WOW), yes have you consider the B7?

from my observation, since you mention approaching retirement and living in Pheonix, i'll get the new S class AMG 65. the mercedes style of drivng will be more suited for you as the years row along, ample power with finesse.
people do age, then age gracefully. everyone will be admiring your car. so its either S AMG 65 or B7, if you want to stay in the family.

wouldnt it be nice to start a conversation by, "my previous cars are beemers which were fantastic, but now I am driving AMG......"
"...the AMG suits me better because I am too damn old to turn the steering wheel so to appreciate the fine handling characteristics of BMWs, but can still stomp the accelerator to act like a 16 year old."
Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well said Znod!
The reason that I'm not into M5 much are poor gas mileage and low low-end torque which is a must for me driving around town.
I never take my car to track, so those high end HP would be never used.
If E55 AMG has good enough handling for around town, it's a best choice.
Anyhew, it's your choice.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hummm such a delima...

Let my put myself in your shoes...

Keep the Z06. I dont think theres much out there that will give you that much RAW power fun. Unless its getting un reliable and you dont want to deal with fixing it all the time.

as for a fast saloon. I would look into the E 63 AMG and CLS 63 AMG.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Hey Z, don't get the Merc please. I have one right now, and it's a great car and all, but I just don't think it can compare to BMW. Also, any new Merc does not have a free maintanance plan anymore (05 models and up) This is another reason why I did not get another MB. I don't know if that would be a problem for you, but for a broke college student like me it's a big deal

Could you maybe wait another 10 months and pick up the new M3??? I've heard from around the block it's going to be a big V8 and massive horse power. There will be a 4 door model that is HOT in my opinion. This is the car I wanted but could not wait for.
Attached Thumbnails Next Cars-ss_08_bmw_m3_p1.jpg  
Old 06-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by hollywoodtrash' post='298015' date='Jun 15 2006, 12:00 PM
I don't know if that would be a problem for you, but for a broke college student like me it's a big deal
Broke?? Broke with a 550?

Quick Reply: Next Cars