E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

News on LCI M-Aero (US)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of news on the kit. I picked up my LCI (US) '08 528i today which was supposed to have the M Aero kit installed at the port for $2700. Everyone had lots of great questions-- fog lights, whether the '07 kit would fit the LCI, whether the orange reflectors would be on the kit, etc. I was told the kit was do-able and same as '07, I was told the kit was put on at the port by phone last night, and I was told, on arrival at the dealer, that the kit was on.

Guess what. No kit installed.

The salesperson had no idea it wasn't even on the car as he was mistaking the new bumper configuration for a new kit. With just a hint of rage, I told him to go look on line at the pix of the standard set up and he would see he was wrong.

About the dealer-- they fully believed that the kit was put on. They showed me their fax requesting the kit, as well as a written confirmation they got from the port that the kit was on. I was given all the e-mails (BTW exact dealer invoice on '07 kit is $2461) showing that it was ordered and paid for by the dealer. I don't fault the dealer or salesperson, as I believe they were misled too.

Bottom line: I was advised that the '07 kit does not fit the '08, and there is no '08 kit available "at this time."

We wrote up a document that the dealer has to install the kit for $2461 plus tax when it becomes available, and as a courtesy the dealer did a few things to make me (very) happy.

And, in all candor, I LOVE the look of the car. I had an M5 lip spoiler installed and the car looks absolutely amazing as is (the 246 18inch rims are stunning). I really don't see myself installing it, even at that discount. I like the reflectors on the side (go ahead and flame me), and I really don't think I want to change a thing.

Some answers--yes the rear indicators flash red--red in the form of LEDs with red bars (like the taillights), yes the ipod works beautifully, and yes the pre-program buttons don't need to be pushed, only lightly touched or even grazed, to work.

Photos will follow, but all in all, I'm thrilled.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='415226' date='Apr 18 2007, 05:22 PM
Bottom line: I was advised that the '07 kit does not fit the '08, and there is no '08 kit available "at this time."
Not yet available for the US? If not sales flannel, that's very sad and extremely frustrating.

Personally I think it's a "story"...

ABC
Old 04-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='415229' date='Apr 18 2007, 11:27 AM
Not yet available for the US? If not sales flannel, that's very sad and extremely frustrating.

Personally I think it's a "story"...

ABC
Let me clarify--it's not that the kit's not here in the US, it's that a new one has to be designed for the LCI in the US. Perhaps it's the reflector issue that was raised or some other variable, but BMW is not installing the '07 kit on the US MY08 E60----or so I'm told. I have the same suspicions as you, and I hate to let them run through my mind. But why go through the stress we just went through, take the beating they just got, have to make up for it in the substantial manner they did, and still show me the e-mails they got confirming the order of the kit? I believe them, but in the coming weeks may hear very different news from others. Remember, I think the '07 kit fits without a doubt, but BMW won't put it on. Perhaps get the installation done privately...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 2005 X3 3.0

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='415226' date='Apr 18 2007, 12:22 PM
Lots of news on the kit. I picked up my LCI (US) '08 528i today which was supposed to have the M Aero kit installed at the port for $2700. Everyone had lots of great questions-- fog lights, whether the '07 kit would fit the LCI, whether the orange reflectors would be on the kit, etc. I was told the kit was do-able and same as '07, I was told the kit was put on at the port by phone last night, and I was told, on arrival at the dealer, that the kit was on.

Guess what. No kit installed.

The salesperson had no idea it wasn't even on the car as he was mistaking the new bumper configuration for a new kit. With just a hint of rage, I told him to go look on line at the pix of the standard set up and he would see he was wrong.

About the dealer-- they fully believed that the kit was put on. They showed me their fax requesting the kit, as well as a written confirmation they got from the port that the kit was on. I was given all the e-mails (BTW exact dealer invoice on '07 kit is $2461) showing that it was ordered and paid for by the dealer. I don't fault the dealer or salesperson, as I believe they were misled too.

We wrote up a document that the dealer has to install the kit for $2461 plus tax when it becomes available, and as a courtesy the dealer did a few things to make me (very) happy.

And, in all candor, I LOVE the look of the car. I had an M5 lip spoiler installed and the car looks absolutely amazing as is (the 246 18inch rims are stunning). I really don't see myself installing it, even at that discount. I like the reflectors on the side (go ahead and flame me), and I really don't think I want to change a thing.

Some answers--yes the rear indicators flash red--red in the form of LEDs with red bars (like the taillights), yes the ipod works beautifully, and yes the pre-program buttons don't need to be pushed, only lightly touched or even grazed, to work.

Photos will follow, but all in all, I'm thrilled.

Thank you for the info , congrats on your new car!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear about the f**k-up, but I'm sure glad that you like the car.

I doubt very much that the body panels have been changed from the prior model in such a way that the old aero kit would not physically fit the new car. I'll bet it has to do with those stupid little reflectors.

As we talked about in the other thread, BMW has to figure out the amber reflector thing for the port-installed kit. It seems minor, but without it, the cars aren't US DOT certified. And I bet that they don't have a solution at the port yet without a new part that integrates the reflectors. Just a guess.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='415239' date='Apr 18 2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear about the f**k-up, but I'm sure glad that you like the car.

I doubt very much that the body panels have been changed from the prior model in such a way that the old aero kit would not physically fit the new car. I'll bet it has to do with those stupid little reflectors.

As we talked about in the other thread, BMW has to figure out the amber reflector thing for the port-installed kit. It seems minor, but without it, the cars aren't US DOT certified. And I bet that they don't have a solution at the port yet without a new part that integrates the reflectors. Just a guess.
I couldn't remember your name when I posted this info, but I meant to give you credit on the reflector issue. I was hoping that it would 'slip through' and nobody at the port would notice such a small issue. Foolish of me to think that the people at the port aren't focused on DOT certification. My suspicion is that the reflector is the issue too, and I am certain that the new kit will have the reflectors on the side. From my recollection though, you won't be too sad about that either!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:59 AM
sol
Members

Good for you, and best of luck.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='415243' date='Apr 18 2007, 11:57 AM
I couldn't remember your name when I posted this info, but I meant to give you credit on the reflector issue. I was hoping that it would 'slip through' and nobody at the port would notice such a small issue. Foolish of me to think that the people at the port aren't focused on DOT certification. My suspicion is that the reflector is the issue too, and I am certain that the new kit will have the reflectors on the side. From my recollection though, you won't be too sad about that either!
Congrats again my friend. I am sorry to hear about your ordeal. I will check with my CA today to talk about installation as well. I am very suspicious about it though since I was told, like you were, that it will be installed.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calypsobimmer' post='415258' date='Apr 18 2007, 12:28 PM
Congrats again my friend. I am sorry to hear about your ordeal. I will check with my CA today to talk about installation as well. I am very suspicious about it though since I was told, like you were, that it will be installed.
I said it above--I was told as recently as 10 seconds before I walked out and saw the car that the kit was on the car! Mass confusion on the issue. Make SURE to tell them what happened with my car and clarify whether or not it's being done! Again, even with the crazy discount, and the fact that I was prepared to pay more, I don't think I'm going to do it. I love the look as is and don't want to f with it right now....
Old 04-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Congrats!!!! The wait is now over. Sorry about the MTech kit. Enjoy the new ride.

Quick Reply: News on LCI M-Aero (US)