E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
Just bought a used 525i with the upgraded engine(160Kw).
Comes standard with 17" with 225/50 R17.

Drove it out of the dealer and it was all comfy and stuff went to the servo to put the tyre pressure to the correct pressure and that is when i got lost... =(

Question 1:
270 for rear and 220 for front?
Means 39 for the rear and 32 for the front?

When i went to pump the pressure the dealer had 32 all round. (maybe that explains the comfy ride)

Sorry for asking such a silly question but I have been driving japanese cars till now which means for the past few years all i had pump was 34 all round.

So being puzzled. I pumped 33 in the front and 37 on the rears.

Also I have run flat tyres on the rear and normal tyres on the front.

Can someone confirm the pressure i should have on the tyres? should there be a difference if i have run flats or normal tyres?

Question 2:

How do i make the Home Lights function work? i set the delay and stuff but the moment i turn my keys off the lights turns off as well. (i have it on auto)

Question 3:

Where is the engine temperature???
I have been "trained" by my dad to always warm up the engine till you see the engine temperature needle move at least a notch before driving.

It has been a tough day to adapt that the signal is on the left instead of the right. ( my wipers are coming on once in a while and i am sure the car beside is calling me a noob in his heart. hahaha..) Plus the idrive, giving me a headache.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

Was it a BMW dealer? I don't think it's good to mix runflats and non runflats?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Members

it wasn't a BMW dealer. It was a well known dealer that only sells prestige cars.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If you're running the rims that came on the car then look at the driver's door jam, there is a card there with the recommended tire pressures. Typically on OEM tires they should be between 32 and 35 PSI all the way around, but you want to check that card to verify. Good luck and welcome to the forum and the 5er family
Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
If you're running the rims that came on the car then look at the driver's door jam, there is a card there with the recommended tire pressures. Typically on OEM tires they should be between 32 and 35 PSI all the way around, but you want to check that card to verify. Good luck and welcome to the forum and the 5er family
that is the thing.

i looked at the car and it says 32 front and 39 rear.

39 just seems to high for me. plus 7 psi difference makes it hard to believe.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

1. Tire pressure is kind of subjective. Although there is a recommended tire pressure on the driver's side door jam this will change if you put on different tires than the OEM ones it came with, your driving style and environment.
I tend to ride my air pressure a little higher, around 40 psi all around, for better handling and fuel economy.
During the winter I drop the pressure to recommended for better traction.

2. Not 100% sure what home lights are? Are these the interior lights?

3. There is no real engine temperature gauge on the E60. I know it sucks dick. I love gauges.
On the tachometer towards the 6000-7000 RPM range you should see a couple of white bars that moves.
Its basically telling you not to rev the engine past that point of the white bars. As the car warms up the bars should drop towards the red zone.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jgt
1. Tire pressure is kind of subjective. Although there is a recommended tire pressure on the driver's side door jam this will change if you put on different tires than the OEM ones it came with, your driving style and environment.
I tend to ride my air pressure a little higher, around 40 psi all around, for better handling and fuel economy.
During the winter I drop the pressure to recommended for better traction.

2. Not 100% sure what home lights are? Are these the interior lights?

3. There is no real engine temperature gauge on the E60. I know it sucks dick. I love gauges.
On the tachometer towards the 6000-7000 RPM range you should see a couple of white bars that moves.
Its basically telling you not to rev the engine past that point of the white bars. As the car warms up the bars should drop towards the red zone.
2. they are the low beams and are meant to stay on for "x sec" while you walk home away from your car. Courtesy light

3. COOL... will take a look at it tomorrow in regards to the white lines
Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Huhjared, do you have an owners manual? I have a pdf of 2005 series if you want. It will tell you most things. Engine temperature is available in a hidden display and there is also a pdf for that too but it is relatively complicated to get to and not worth worrying about - the car should let you know with a warning if there is a problem. I wasn't aware of the rev counter markers but it is in the owners manual (sort of like the cruise control marker in the speedo). Run flats are not everyones pleasure - you should be aware of precautions if you get a flat and that there are no tools, unless you provide your own (there weren't any on mine).
Old 07-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Members

Are there no TOOLS!!! i remember lifting the board up and saw tools on the spare tyre...
have to check them well tomorrow.
I have the owner's manual... will read it tomorrow too.
Anyone here have a service manual? that shows you how to remove bumper and stuff? for future reference as i have the idea of changing my bulbs...
About the halo (parkers) are they T10? or are they some sort of special BMW bulbs?
I would love to upgrade them to white with white low beams. ( or maybe HID if that is possible)
Old 07-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

If your car was originally supplied with run flats there would have been no wheel chock & nut brace nor jack. If there is a spare tire then these tools should be provided.

It is possible to get a BMW TIS service manual but it won't be legally from BMW. It is possible with some effort to download from certain internet sites (gigabites!).

You should make contact with the very famous Brabus on this site for advice and supply of "angel eye" updates - either HID, LED or CCFL. You will notice him in most posts on this subject.

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions