5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Newbie DRL questions (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/newbie-drl-questions-67177/)

ktlocklear 12-14-2008 11:37 AM

I was noticing on my '08 328 "loaner" that when I turn the light switch in the "off" position the daytime running lights kick on automatically. On my '06 550 when the light switch is in the "off" position there are no lights on at all. Should the DRL's come on with the switch in the "off" position on a '06 550? If so....is there a problem with mine or something? Also, which lights are suppose to come on for the DRL's.....the lights closest to the grilles?
Thanks for any info...and sorry for the noob questions....... :doh:

kirkebjerg 12-14-2008 11:43 AM

I believe that DRL is only available on the facelift (LCI) models 07' forward...

ktlocklear 12-14-2008 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by kirkebjerg' post='745045' date='Dec 14 2008, 02:43 PM
I believe that DRL is only available on the facelift (LCI) models 07' forward...

Hmmm, I just looked in the owners manual, and it mentions Daytime Driving Lights on page 94....it says "if so desired leave light switch in the low beam position 3". I've only turned the switch to that position at night, and it kicks on the outer xenon lights. If I put the switch in position 3 in daylight....do the xenons lights still come on like at night, or does it kick on the inner halogen lights? As far as I've noticed those inner lights next to the grilles only come on when you pull back the blinker arm to "bright" someone

BlaSTiWi 12-14-2008 12:17 PM

You'll need the dealer to re-program DRL option to turn on, in my case a non-NAV car I have DRL on/off option in the iDrive.

andy535xi 12-14-2008 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='745057' date='Dec 14 2008, 04:17 PM
You'll need the dealer to re-program DRL option to turn on, in my case a non-NAV car I have DRL on/off option in the iDrive.

Funny, my car has DRL on all the time, regardless of which position is the knob in. The reason why this sucks, is when you go to drive-in movies, you can't turn your car on to charge the (ever-so-bad) battery without disturbing people in front of you. I wish they could somehow fix this .... the dealer said no way.

DrLev99 12-14-2008 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='745071' date='Dec 14 2008, 04:43 PM
Funny, my car has DRL on all the time, regardless of which position is the knob in. The reason why this sucks, is when you go to drive-in movies, you can't turn your car on to charge the (ever-so-bad) battery without disturbing people in front of you. I wish they could somehow fix this .... the dealer said no way.

The knob has nothing to do with turning off the DRL's. You can turn off the DRL's from the i-Drive on the newer models or have the dealership disable them on the older ones. My '07 and '08's had (have) the option in the iDrive, regardless of NAV or not. I think it's a software-related option.

Your parking lights selection will utilize the angel eyes if you have the DRL's disabled. If the DRL's are programmed to be on, then obviously they will always be functioning when the car is on.

BTW....your dealership either hasn't a clue or is just unwilling. The first thing I do when I get a loaner is turn off the DRL's from the iDrive.

andy535xi 12-14-2008 12:58 PM

I know what you mean LEV, but my iDrive menu doesn't have the option of turning off the DRLs, I've checked this before. In Canada DRLs are mandatory since 1991, and I guess thats why there is no option to turn then off. The dealership said they don't even have access to reprogram this. My Service Advisor told me he hates it as well because he too goes to drive-ins, but he has never gone with him bimmer for this sole reason.

ktlocklear 12-14-2008 01:10 PM

Yeah...no option in my I-Drive either......so have the dealer program them on is the only way to go? My car is in the shop now for a software update....will the option to turn them off/ on be in the I-Drive menu with the software update?

Gene 12-14-2008 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='745082' date='Dec 14 2008, 02:10 PM
Yeah...no option in my I-Drive either......so have the dealer program them on is the only way to go? My car is in the shop now for a software update....will the option to turn them off/ on be in the I-Drive menu with the software update?

Not sure if the SW update will give you that option, but AFAIK DRL's on your e60 are the inner bulbs and not AE's. Most members with pre-LCI e60's will disable DRL's then just drive with parking lights to get the AE's AFAIK...