E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New windshield seal installed / for my 120mph whin

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

As some of you may recall my car developed a high-pitched whistle/whine at 120 mph. It wasn?t just wind-noise?it sounded like an alarm or buzzer going off inside the car. Wasn?t too concerned about it because I don?t drive 120 all that often (well almost never)?BUT the other day it started to occur at 85, it wasn?t that loud compared to the sound at 120 but it was annoying nonetheless.

Long story short I took the car in for a scheduled service, for this issue (and 6 others that I wont get into right now) I told the dealer it was the seal?but they weren?t convinced they tried a bunch of things but in the end they put windshield tape (the type that is used when installing a new windshield) all around the glass and took it for a spin?problem solved so they knew it was the seal and ended up replacing it.

I pick up the car tomorrow it?s been in the shop now for 12 days!
Old 08-13-2005, 02:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

very common problem to quiet a few people from this forum. Actually I'm one of them. And thanx to this great forum I knew how to solve this.

You have to get the whole front winshield replaced!!!! There is a pin head of glue missing in somewhere and there is no way reaching this spot without changing the whole winshield for a new one!!!
Had done this to mine car as other people and problem solved !!!!

however it is pain in the a$$ to convince your dealer!!!! The best way is to take them for a ride and when the sound occurs push on the winshield from inside of the car - the noise will stop, this way dealer admits that the winshiled has to be replaces/reglued
Old 08-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Aug 13 2005, 12:49 PM
very common problem to quiet a few people from this forum. Actually I'm one of them. And thanx to this great forum I knew how to solve this.

You have to get the whole front winshield replaced!!!! There is a pin head of glue missing in somewhere and there is no way reaching this spot without changing the whole winshield for a new one!!!
Had done this to mine car as other people and problem solved !!!!

however it is pain in the a$$ to convince your dealer!!!! The best way is to take them for a ride and when the sound occurs push on the winshield from inside of the car - the noise will stop, this way dealer admits that the winshiled has to be replaces/reglued
[snapback]158881[/snapback]
Thanks Peter530i for this info.

I had the same problem with my old E60. My new one hasn't been over 145 km/h.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

NICE... so its either push on the windsheild or use windsheild tape to convince your dealers!

P.S. I dont have the problem... just arming myself with info.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Scary thought, but i guess it's not a must to happen to all cars right?