E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Windshield with 2008 5er?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I had a chip in my windshield that turned into a crack when one of the local windshield repair companies came out to fix it. Long story short I ended up having to replace to windshield. So the company that I was refered to came out with BMW OEM windshields and THEY DONT FIT. I dunno what the heck is going on. I called a buncha auto glass shops and they say that they don't even have the 2008 535i listed as a model in their systems. The guy that came out to fix it was really nice and he was talking about how he contacted his hookup to ask about the windshield before he came out and how the housing for the rainsensor and etc be the same. The guy's like the biggest distributor in CALI and he said he had no definite answer because the MODEL doesn't show up in his system either. WTF is going on?!?! Did the windshield and rainsensor change whith the 2008 535i? When the guy that came out to do the replacement open up the rainsensor housing and looked at it and said, "It's not gonna fit." I guess the older models have the rainsensor off to one side while as my baby has the rainsensor right smack dab in the middle. Also, I noticed some round thing that was attached to the windsheild and the attachment on the windshield he brought had nothing of the sort and was rectangular.

Someone help with suggestions please. I've been driving around for about 4 weeks now with a cracked windshield and it's getting on my nerves. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Members

Don't know if this is going to help, but I believe the 2008 (LCI) has lane deviation as standard on some models (in the uk anyway), the sensor / camera for this is located in the same area as the rain sensor, so maybe this is the reason for the housing to be different?

I don't know if they are different as I have only just got my 535d in the uk which has the lane deviation function but figured it's possible this is the reason?

Barry
Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

First I apologize that I am not going to sound very sympathetic to your issue.

Second, I am sorry that you have an issue so early on with your car.

Third, here is my honest opinion. Quit your moaning and groaning and take your car to the dealer to get fixed. It is more expensive but because of the rain sensor it is the only way to get repaired properly.

You have bought a highly engineered car with very small tolerances. You did not buy a Ford. Don't expect Ford prices and BMW quality.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

+1
Sorry to hear this.
Like he said take it to the dealer and let them fix it your car is very new and you will have less hassle in the end.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by Dkime3' post='473692' date='Sep 24 2007, 04:39 PM
I had a chip in my windshield that turned into a crack when one of the local windshield repair companies came out to fix it. Long story short I ended up having to replace to windshield. So the company that I was refered to came out with BMW OEM windshields and THEY DONT FIT. I dunno what the heck is going on. I called a buncha auto glass shops and they say that they don't even have the 2008 535i listed as a model in their systems. The guy that came out to fix it was really nice and he was talking about how he contacted his hookup to ask about the windshield before he came out and how the housing for the rainsensor and etc be the same. The guy's like the biggest distributor in CALI and he said he had no definite answer because the MODEL doesn't show up in his system either. WTF is going on?!?! Did the windshield and rainsensor change whith the 2008 535i? When the guy that came out to do the replacement open up the rainsensor housing and looked at it and said, "It's not gonna fit." I guess the older models have the rainsensor off to one side while as my baby has the rainsensor right smack dab in the middle. Also, I noticed some round thing that was attached to the windsheild and the attachment on the windshield he brought had nothing of the sort and was rectangular.

Someone help with suggestions please. I've been driving around for about 4 weeks now with a cracked windshield and it's getting on my nerves. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Same story here on my 08 550i. Cracked my windshield on my way home on delivery date. When mine cracked, it had about 60 miles. So, I feel for you. I took my car to dealer to get glass replaced. It took them 5 weeks to get that glass in. Two were cracked during shipping. I insisted to my insurance that dealer fix windshield. Yes, it was more expensive, and for other reasons took way too long, but at least it was the correct glass. Just take it to dealer and forget the few hundred bucks you may save. My biggest reason on insisting dealer replacement was i didn't trust third party on a brand new car. You already spent a small fortune on that car, get it replace and enjoy. I am loving mine more everyday.

regards
Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='473909' date='Sep 25 2007, 03:29 AM
Same story here on my 08 550i. Cracked my windshield on my way home on delivery date. When mine cracked, it had about 60 miles. So, I feel for you. I took my car to dealer to get glass replaced. It took them 5 weeks to get that glass in. Two were cracked during shipping. I insisted to my insurance that dealer fix windshield. Yes, it was more expensive, and for other reasons took way too long, but at least it was the correct glass. Just take it to dealer and forget the few hundred bucks you may save. My biggest reason on insisting dealer replacement was i didn't trust third party on a brand new car. You already spent a small fortune on that car, get it replace and enjoy. I am loving mine more everyday.

regards
then...

now
Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

The windshield is identical to the 07 MY so OEM replacement is really no issue at all. BMW always changes part listings according to MY even if there has been no change. Any knowledgeable glass installer should recognize this fact and also be perfectly competent to do the job.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:30 AM
Contributors

I definitely second the suggestions that you have the dealer replace the windshield, rather than a third party installer. OEM windshields are NOT the same as original equipment, despite calling them OEM. I let my insurance co. talk me into using an outside installer rather than the dealer and they installed a quote OEM windshield that had a film of some kind that prevented my GPS from getting a signal. I complained to the ins. co. and they paid a second time for the correct part to be installed by the dealer.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Members

Hahaha thanks Nickolas_g you're definitely right. You sound like my old Master Sergeant. "Ohhhhh you have sand in your snatch?! QUIT YOUR BITCHING!" . I'm going to the dealership tomorrow.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='473781' date='Sep 25 2007, 04:31 AM
Quit your moaning and groaning and take your car to the dealer to get fixed.
+1.

What's the point in buying a luxury BMW and then save some pennies

Edit:
I just realized you Dkime3 are an (ex-)soldier, so forget the above.
But still, keep your fine automobile in mint shape and buy only genuine BMW parts.

Quick Reply: New Windshield with 2008 5er?