E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='501604' date='Dec 1 2007, 08:40 PM
Hey Bored1,

Do a search under this topic....has been discussed ad nauseum. Don't be so bored, and let your search button work for ya.

I have the same wheels as C, one of the best options for 19's with an xi...offset on these in staggered setup for the CSL fronts are ET40, rears ET45. Tires: 245/35 in front, 275/30 in rear. BMW suggests 43 in front and 55 in rear if doing staggered, but these offsets work fine. ET43 all-around if going with non-staggered, per BMW specs.

Most of us run a separate set of snow tires and wheels for the winter...17's or 18's. I use my OEM 17's with the all season OEM tires, however many put Blizzak's or comparable winter/sport tires on for the white stuff.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate the information.

I have done several searches, however; most of the information is speculative, inconclusive and loaded with supposition.

I am happy to see both you and "C" have chosen to both lower your vehicles and add wheels. In my 20 yrs of working in the automotive aftermarket, I have done this to many vehicles. Some applications were perfect and others had issues. Some small, some large. I, however; have never lowered and staggared/plus sized an "X" drive vehicle. Since you both have personal experience, I would like to draw upon your knowledge and know if there are any mechanical issues whatsoever when you lowered and plus sized this particular vehicle? Scuffing? Strut issues? Shock issues? Bottoming? Etc... Regardless of how minor or inoffensive, please let me know. THANKS!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Bored1, can you post some photos of your 528xi and could you tell us if you purchase the sports pack or not. The wheels that come with the sports pack for that model are pretty cool.

Thanks Rick..
Old 12-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Bored1, please update your location in your profile so we know from where you reside.

This is the way it will go with the xi re: lowering springs, and I am sure C will chime in here soon. Since you'd be using H&R Sport Springs, the only ones available on the xi at this moment, this is what happens with the ride:

1) Harsher than stock, especially with 19's and low profile tires, due to being stiffer and shorter
2) Slightly bouncy over unven pavement due to compression ratio being off, esp. at highway speeds, but I've never bottomed-out
3) More stable/flat in the corners
4) You get an xi that looks "normal" on 19's...otherwise it sits up like an SUV!

As for the staggered setup, there are ZERO rubbing, scuffing issues to be concerned about as long as you get the right sized offsets and the correct size tires, assuming you go with 19's or even 20's.

Coilovers would be ideal, but none as of yet are available for the xi, so you have to give up some comfort to gain better handling and better looks. It's a give and take at this point, but if you want an xi that doesn't look like one, with 19's or more, then you have no other option at this point. You can buy the H&R sport springs at:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com
http://allsprings.com

Make sure you get the ones for the xi SEDAN, not the wagon.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='501780' date='Dec 2 2007, 11:10 AM
Bored1, can you post some photos of your 528xi and could you tell us if you purchase the sports pack or not. The wheels that come with the sports pack for that model are pretty cool.

Thanks Rick..
Rick-

I presently have an E39 528i sport. I recently found a 2006 530xi that I am EXTREMELY tempted to purchase. So tempted that I am considering sacrificing the sportiness of my RWD 5. Even though I am in snow country, I don't really see the need for the "X" model. My E39 with snow tires does just fine. This car just seems to be the right deal at the right time for me. With my luck, I'll just procrastinate until it is sold to someone else.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='501846' date='Dec 2 2007, 02:14 PM
Bored1, please update your location in your profile so we know from where you reside.

This is the way it will go with the xi re: lowering springs, and I am sure C will chime in here soon. Since I am using H&R Sport Springs, the only ones available on the xi at this moment, this is what happens with the ride:

1) Harsher than stock, especially with 19's and low profile tires
2) Slightly bouncy over unven pavement due to compression ratio being off, esp. at highway speeds, but I've never bottomed-out
3) More stable/flat in the corners
4) You get an xi that looks "normal" on 19's...otherwise it sits up like an SUV!

As for the staggered setup, there are ZERO rubbing, scuffing issues to be concerned about as long as you get the right sized offsets and the correct size tires, assuming you go with 19's or even 20's.

Coilovers would be ideal, but none as of yet are available for the xi, so you have to give up some comfort to gain better handling and better looks. It's a give and take at this point, but if you want an xi that doesn't look like one, with 19's or more, then you have no other option at this point. You can buy the H&R sport springs at:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com
http://allsprings.com

Make sure you get the ones for the xi SEDAN, not the wagon.

Good luck!
Thanks Dr. That is the information that I was seeking.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by bored1' post='501860' date='Dec 2 2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks Dr. That is the information that I was seeking.