E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

NEW UPDATE TO BE PERFORMED TOMORROW - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had horrible radio reception and a little transmission slamming and am taking my car in tomorrow for its first update since I bought it last May. The production is 3/05 (without Nav). There are 2 things I really want (in addition to fixing the reception and transmission). I would like the radio to tag my CDs. I have CDs that tag in friends' cars, but not in my $50,000 + car. I would also like to play MP3s that I have burned without paying an addition 300-400 for an AUX input. Can somebody please tell me what exactly I need to tell the SA to do or a link to the bulletins, etc. Or, is what I am asking for even possible?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by CHANDLER' post='232476' date='Jan 31 2006, 10:42 AM
I have had horrible radio reception and a little transmission slamming and am taking my car in tomorrow for its first update since I bought it last May. The production is 3/05 (without Nav). There are 2 things I really want (in addition to fixing the reception and transmission). I would like the radio to tag my CDs. I have CDs that tag in friends' cars, but not in my $50,000 + car. I would also like to play MP3s that I have burned without paying an addition 300-400 for an AUX input. Can somebody please tell me what exactly I need to tell the SA to do or a link to the bulletins, etc. Or, is what I am asking for even possible?
Chandler, if you're talking about CD text then that is supported BUT not that many discs come with the text already encoded. Using third party software (e.g. Toast on the mac, there are others for windows) it is possible to duplicate your CD's (in their native uncompressed AIFF format, I'm not talking about MP3/AAC files) and add track and artist info via CD text to any CD, the applications get the data from CDDB and other similar sources. This way any disc can show the info whilst the track is playing. As you don't have NAV I think updating to the latest software may well give you the MP3 capability but there are a lot of excellent threads on here that should give you all the info you need.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

If the update is 20.01.00, then you should get MP3 capability given your build date. Tagging is another issue. I have not figured that one out yet. But, also, I have not tried yet. There is nothing that you could say that would matter. You will get the latest update your dealer has and nothing else. Oops, now I see you don't have nav. So, maybe not on the MP3 capability; I forget such details if they don't apply to my car.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='232482
Chandler, if you're talking about CD text then that is supported BUT not that many discs come with the text already encoded. Using third party software (e.g. Toast on the mac, there are others for windows) it is possible to duplicate your CD's (in their native uncompressed AIFF format, I'm not talking about MP3/AAC files) and add track and artist info via CD text to any CD, the applications get the data from CDDB and other similar sources. This way any disc can show the info whilst the track is playing. As you don't have NAV I think updating to the latest software may well give you the MP3 capability but there are a lot of excellent threads on here that should give you all the info you need.
[/quote]
Thanks for the info, but I have played the CDs that are already encoded in other CD players, but they don't show up on mine - that is why I was curious. And, believe it or not, I have read all of the posts about the MP3s, but nobody without NAV has advised if they had the update and it worked or not - that is what I really want to know.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by CHANDLER' post='232485
Thanks for the info, but I have played the CDs that are already encoded in other CD players, but they don't show up on mine - that is why I was curious. And, believe it or not, I have read all of the posts about the MP3s, but nobody without NAV has advised if they had the update and it worked or not - that is what I really want to know.
[/quote]

The latest software should take care of both issues if you haven't had any updates for a while.
Best of luck, and keep us posted.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='232487
Originally Posted by swajames' post='232482' date='Jan 31 2006, 01:54 PM
[quote name='CHANDLER' post='232476' date='Jan 31 2006, 10:42 AM']
[/quote]

The latest software should take care of both issues if you haven't had any updates for a while.
Best of luck, and keep us posted.
[/quote]
Also, for those of you with NAV that have had the MP3 added, does it support track names, etc.?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by CHANDLER' post='232485' date='Jan 31 2006, 10:58 AM

You have a March 05 build you should be ok with MP3... since thats when BMW included Professional Radio... tahts the only thing thats needed for MP3.

Let us know if it works.

I too want CD Tagging but I tried and it doesnt work wihth my car. V16.2, and Business Radio.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by CHANDLER' post='232485
[/quote]

You will be first with an update on NONE NAV. I, too, have a 3/05 build without NAV. Foreman and SA from 2 dealers say that new audio module does not document mp3. So if you get your car back and it plays mp3, please let me know what CIP version you received.