E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New tires and renewed appreciation for the E60

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Last week I replaced my factory runflats with Continental Extreme Contact DW tires. I only had the car for about an hour after that as I had to drop the car off for some Paintless Dent Repair the same day. My initial impression of the tires was it was like going from a stiff dress shoe to a comfortable running shoe. A dress shoe gives you a feeling of support, and structure, but a running show is cushier, lighter, more nimble and more forgiving.

So - I dropped my car off and they gave me the keys to a Lincoln Town Car Limited Edition. It was very new (only 10k on the odometer) and it was like driving a sofa. A week goes by and I go to pick up my car.

It was like seeing my car again for the first time! My car is jet black and no matter how much I care for it (micro fiber cloths, etc.) the paint still manages to get the light swirl / spider web marks in the finish. They had buffed the car after doing the PDR. I saw the car and was blown away with the finish. It was like seeing a brand new car! And the PDR was excellent - marks all gone (all 30+ of them).

From the second I got in the car I was reminded why this car is the ultimate driving machine. Driving in that new Lincoln for a week helped to remind me of everything BMW has done well. I went from sitting on a "Sofa" to sitting in a firm yet enveloping sport seat. I had returned to tight steering, firm suspension, the power and acceleration of the 550 engine, and doors that shut with a firm sound showing solid and precise construction.

Now that much said, I still am not a fan of the older iDrive.

So - if you ever get a bit bored with your car - find a way to step away from it for a week. Get into another car that is at the other end of the spectrum from BMW and you will have a renewed feeling of appreciation for your machine when you return!
Old 07-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Members

Well said my friend. I feel the same way
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

When my baby was gone in January for two weeks for my major collison repair, I drove a rental Hyundai Sonata 2010 (3000km). After just the drive home I refused to "drive" it unless it was absolutely necessary.
BUT, the first time back in my Comfort Seats and with the heated steering wheel was absolute bliss. The power, the handling, the interior and the real Logic7 system: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I fell in love all over again and the repairs was perfect as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Members

i just pulled the trigger on the Continental ExtremeContact DWs to replace my OEM runflats. can't wait to feel the difference!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

I dumped my runflats two weeks ago due to the cost of replacments, and to my surprise it was like I installed a set of pillows on my car!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

All I can say is that your "preaching to the choir" to those of us who have already done this. A much better ride!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Great post. Use them well.