E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New tires re-balanced multiple times, Car still SHAKES at speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

To quickly summarize my story: My old goodyear/kumho setup was worn out (and never vibrated at highway speeds) so i got a set of Yokohama Avid Envigor touring all seasons from discount tire direct. These tires continued to vibrate the steering wheel, sunvisor, my seats, you name it at highway speeds, even after being rebalanced 3 times! I called discount tire and they sent me a new set agreeing that the old set may have been defective. fast forward 2 weeks into having the new set and they are starting to do the same thing! I even had the new set mounted and balanced at a different and also highly reputable tire shop in town, so i know it's not a case of the shop not knowing what to do!

Symptoms:
-at highway speeds (and sometimes even around town) there is a vibration that i can feel through the gas pedal, steering wheel, and the seat of my pants. small objects in the car like the visors when down also vibrate.
-NO ABNORMAL TIRE WEAR, so this is why i do not suspect suspension damage
-my old tire setup NEVEr did this and they did not wear unevenly either

PLEASE HELP, im at the end of the rope. this is extremely frustrating and is totally ruining the best car ive ever had! FYI, tire size is 225/50/17 on stock 545i wheels
Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Members

Maybe they are not a good model of tires to begin with. Thats the only way I would think this can keep happening. Only other thing I can think of is that a rim might have been damaged during the installation of the first set but other than that I would try another brand all together.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Members

Have u checked to c if ur wheels r bent? Also check the rotors to c if they r warped.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

Did you get a road force balance or a standard balance? A road force balance can compensate for a number of problems but if you're getting as much vibration as you claim, it sounds like you have a bent wheel.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Also, if possible, ensure that the wheels were put back in the same location where they were taken from (left right front back switching can cause some problems). Yes, balancing should have fixed these, but you can never be too sure. I had a situation where I wanted a indy shop to install TPMS sensors and they switched rear and front wheels, balanced them, and even then there was vibration. Undid the switch and everything solved.

+1 on the force balance otherwise.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by DanL
Did you get a road force balance or a standard balance? A road force balance can compensate for a number of problems but if you're getting as much vibration as you claim, it sounds like you have a bent wheel.
i would have figured that the shop would be able to tell if the wheel was bent when they were installing the tires? interesting.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by lawnboy
i would have figured that the shop would be able to tell if the wheel was bent when they were installing the tires? interesting.
depending on the severity of the bending, they sometimes ignore it or end up compensating the bent by adding extra weights. the bend may not be apparent and noticable just by looking at them, esp if there isn't an associated scratch or mark.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Members

+2 for road force balancing.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 12-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Members

Check this link.
http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 12-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

possible to have a worn wheel bearing, causing a wheel to wobble?

Quick Reply: New tires re-balanced multiple times, Car still SHAKES at speed