E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I have a 2004 mid year build 545 with the sports package and run flat tires. I have about 9500 miles on the car, but only half are on the run flats - the other half are on winter tires.

I recently developed a slow leak in my right front tire. I called for an appointment and explained that I would need 1 tire replaced. I further explained to my SA that I wanted all 4 tires replaced under warranty now, rather than paying for one tire now, only to have all four replaced shortly. Before bringing the car in, I spoke with my salesman and the sales manager, and asked for their help in getting all four replaced under warranty, or one free tire now and 3 at a later date.

I brought my car in Tuesday morning (for the tire and a list of minor squeak/creak issues) and explained that I absolutely had to have the car back by close of business Wednesday, for a long trip on Thursday. On Wednesday morning, my SA call with good and bad news. The good news - they were replacing all 4 tires under warranty. The bad news - the tires are back ordered and the techs did not advise a long trip on the damaged tire.

I was upset becasue the apointment, which I made weeks before, was specifically for having a tire replaced. Why make an appontment if you do not have the part to fix the problem? Adding to the problem, the dealership was out of loaners. I went to the dealership, met with the SA, my salseman and the sales manager. After explaining that I needed the car for a long business trip with a client, they did the right thing. Rather than renting a car from Enterprise, they brought me outside and let me select from all of the demo cars on the lot. No 6's or 7's available, but there were new 3's, X 3's, a 525, and an Z4 3.0. The weather was perfect so I took the Z 4 - brand new with about 500 miles.

The drive was wonderful NY to Pittsburg and back, with the top down all the way.

The true purpose of the post is to thank and recommend Westchester BMW. Most people say they are a bit more expensive than other dealers, but service like this more than makes up for it. They went out of their way to approve the replacement of all 4 tires. And, when stuck without a loaner, let me select any demo I wanted. They took a potentially bad situation and made it right. That is what customer service is all about.

One last comment. The Z4 with th 3.0 is a great car. A very good engine in a very small, very light car. It did very well on the highway - kept up with an A8 4.2 in some spirited driving. BUT, I missed my car and the V8. There is nothiong like a big engine and lots of horsepower. Every time I drive any other car, I appreciate my car more and more.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

I just got my Dunlop RFTs replaced today and wow, what a difference!!!!!!!!!!! The original ones could not get balanced and were tramlining and it felt like you could feel every piece of sand on the roadway.

Now, the new tires are not as hard, not as 'nervous' and of course they are in balance!

I gotta say that BMW is really a great company, as most of my difficulties have been resolved perfectly and with no pain at all. These guy really are interested in satisfying the customer, and I really feel impressed that they were so responsive to this problem.

They did mention that there were a few months where the tires had some production problems and they were replacing them for those owners.

They also feel firmer in corners and much more sporty. Before these, I would have never bought a Dunlop tire, but now I would clearly consider them again.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributors

We use this forum so much to discuss things gone wrong, so it's nice to read about things done right. Thanks for sharing and giving credit to a dealership that earned it.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

Glad to hear that you're a satisfied customer. I always enjoy reading positive stories like yours. Unfortunately, it's when things go wrong that we tend to speak/write about it.

I've also had two Bimmers from local dealer in GTA (Mississauga) and have been pleased with service over the years. I've now gone with new dealer (they had what I wanted in inventory) and so far so good.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Thats nice... glad things works out ok...

One thing I noticed about appoitments is it only allows you to get your car "in" to have a tech look at it. they dont make the appoitment for a certain fix or whatever... For like almost 2 years now Long Beach BMW just makes appoitments to take the car in but never once asked why it was comming in. They find out the day of and then decide what to do HOPING they have the parts in stock.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I envy your dealer's behaviour !!!!
This is only what I can dream of
When I was buying the car the dealer litteraly kissed my a$$ but when I got back the next month with some "underwarraty issues"... OMG they made me feel like $hit. Too bad that that dealer is also somethink like BMWNA for my country so nowhere to complain for me

I actually have to drive to Germany in order to get at least some standart level of service.

You guys in the states are much more service and people oriented society, it has not reached Europe yet
Old 07-31-2005, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Good story Rob. Glad it worked out for you, even if you didn't get to drive your "first choice" on your trip.

Did you go to Pittsburgh, PA or somewhere else? (There are many places called "Pittsburg" but only one is spelled with an "h" at the end...)
Old 08-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 31 2005, 11:04 AM
Good story Rob. Glad it worked out for you, even if you didn't get to drive your "first choice" on your trip.

Did you go to Pittsburgh, PA or somewhere else?? (There are many places called "Pittsburg" but only one is spelled with an "h" at the end...)
[snapback]154830[/snapback]

PittsburgH, PA - just my bad spelling again. In and out very quickly, but did manage to go to the "famous" hot dog / french fry place in the University section of town.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The "Dirty O" -- how the hell did you end up there?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 1 2005, 08:59 AM
The "Dirty O" -- how the hell did you end up there?
[snapback]155073[/snapback]

I had to go close to Pittsburgh for business. I then found out that Springsteen was in town that night, playing at the Petersen Event Center. I got a ticket and picked a hotel walking distance from the venue. A couple of days before the trip I saw a PBS special devoted to the hot dog. The Dirty O was one of the featured spots.