E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Well, my wife hit a pothole yesterday and put 5" slice in the sidewall of one of the front Dunlop runflats on our '08 535i (we recently purchased the car pre-owned). I took it to my regular tire place (Discount Tire) and decided to replace both fronts based upon tread wear (car has staggered tires and rears are brand new non-run flats - I have spare tire in trunk). The fronts were runflat Dunlops which I did not want to replace due to cost and perceived road noise. After contemplation, I decided to choose the Yokohama YK580's. I quickly read online reviews and specs from the tire's website and everything appears to be quite positive. They were a little over $400 for the pair installed (disposal fees, TPMS rebuild, sales tax, etc.) which is a good spot for me value wise. They also have a 45K tread life. Also, be aware that this is my wife's everyday vehicle which will rarely see highway speeds, and never see any type of "hot rodding" other then the rare occassion when I get to drive it by myself on weekends.

My first impressions of the tires are quite positive based upon wet driving, low road noise, and overall feel. While I'm obviously not going to change my mind now, I was wondering if anyone else had experience with these Yokohama YK580s for a longer period of time and what your impressions are?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MrTantrum
Well, my wife hit a pothole yesterday and put 5" slice in the sidewall of one of the front Dunlop runflats on our '08 535i (we recently purchased the car pre-owned). I took it to my regular tire place (Discount Tire) and decided to replace both fronts based upon tread wear (car has staggered tires and rears are brand new non-run flats - I have spare tire in trunk). The fronts were runflat Dunlops which I did not want to replace due to cost and perceived road noise. After contemplation, I decided to choose the Yokohama YK580's. I quickly read online reviews and specs from the tire's website and everything appears to be quite positive. They were a little over $400 for the pair installed (disposal fees, TPMS rebuild, sales tax, etc.) which is a good spot for me value wise. They also have a 45K tread life. Also, be aware that this is my wife's everyday vehicle which will rarely see highway speeds, and never see any type of "hot rodding" other then the rare occassion when I get to drive it by myself on weekends.

My first impressions of the tires are quite positive based upon wet driving, low road noise, and overall feel. While I'm obviously not going to change my mind now, I was wondering if anyone else had experience with these Yokohama YK580s for a longer period of time and what your impressions are?
Welcome to your first RFT experience. Be glad you didn't lose the wheel too!

I'm not personally familiar with that specific Yokohama tire but the company produces decent tires at affordable prices. Since your wife is a conservative driver the mis-match RFT - Non-RFT shouldn't be too much of a problem. Maybe when you wear out the rears you'll match all four - that's my preferred way to roll. At least you have the spare (it was an extra cost option) so a flat won't leave you stranded. BTW, I know some tire shops charge for a TPMS "service" - while some cars require some 'programming' if a TPMS is replaced - ours are a simple recalibration the driver can do via i-Drive. Don't let some tire jocky hack into the BMW computer or TPMS's to change any settings or you may be screwed. If you haven't already done so, read your owner's manual for instructions how to do that.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Members

The backs are already non-run flats, so I'm happy to have them all off. Also, Discount Tire charges for the physical replacement of the TPMS components in the wheel (fairly low cost), and I've let them do this on a two other vehicles I've had over the years with TPMS. Not sure how necessary it is or it TPMS valve components actually decay/fail over time, but for only a few bucks seems worth it every 30-40K when I get new tires. Pretty much their practice to do so when they replace old tires with new. Once I got back in the car, I recalibrated TPMS with iDrive and I was off and running. Drove all over town today in the rain with no issues and what felt like a good grip on the road.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

I'm not familiar with the YK 580 specifically, but I've owned Yokohamas in the past. They are a quality tire. That's a terrific price point for a reputable tire.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Members

Conti ftw !
Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by MrTantrum

I put four YK580s on my 530i a couple of months back. The noise level is very good. We've had a lot of rain here in Houston and the tires seem to stick to the road just fine. I'm not s super agressive driver, but every-once-in-awhile you need to hit the gas and so far these tires have been great on dry and wet roads.

I think the tires actually have a 60k mile warranty, which makes them a real bargain.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by txag_530i
I put four YK580s on my 530i a couple of months back. The noise level is very good. We've had a lot of rain here in Houston and the tires seem to stick to the road just fine. I'm not s super agressive driver, but every-once-in-awhile you need to hit the gas and so far these tires have been great on dry and wet roads.

I think the tires actually have a 60k mile warranty, which makes them a real bargain.
Good to hear your experience. I checked and in the size I have the warranty is 45k, but some sizes are 60k.