E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New to the site

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 11:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 525 Diesel M57 Engine
Default New to the site

Hi to all, thanks for allowing me to join the site.
My beemer is an early 2004 525 fitted with the M57 Diesel engine.
I've owned the car now for about 14 years & it has performed faultless.
It's been serviced on a regular basis, the usual oils, filters, brakes etc & have just changed ALL fluids recently.
However !! it's developed an annoying fault, the radiator fan is constantly running when the engine is running, its had a new engine temp sensor a new outside temp sensor a new a\c pressure senor before been re filled to the correct amount stated on the plate on the under side of the bonnet, fuses are good battery is in a good state of charge & the local bmw garage say they can't find any issue !!!!! crap !!!! I think the issue is with the control panel above the radio as if the control knob on the right is disconnected the fan stops but it won't have a\c, now I can live without having aircon so does anyone know if the aircon is disconnected will the fan kick in if the engine is to get too hot i:e traffic ques not really wanting to try it out in case i damage the motor.
I've had the electrics checked for correct voltage etc all is good apart from the fan relay where the hell is it ?????
thanks everybody
​​​
Old 07-22-2023, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Welcome to the forum, Biker. A couple of things...

1. It's "bimmer", not "beemer" (pronounced the same way). A "beemer" is a BMW motorcycle. Don't ask me why this is. I didn't decide it.
2. Where the hell have you been, lol!? You've owned the vehicle for 14 years and you're just joining now? We could have used your expertise all of those years!

I'm sure someone here will chime in with what you're looking for.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 300 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

The IHKA has nothing to do with how the car control coolant temp. If you sensor is working it will kick on. You can test this by letting the car idle until it gets to operating temp and watch it kick on.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:47 AM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Biker,

Attached are some docs from NewTis on the model you have (525d). There are several reasons the (electric front-of-the-engine one) fan may stay on after the car is switched off, up to 11 minutes according to the attached.

There are also a couple of OBD codes in the attached. Get a BMW code reader and search for codes. If you have or can find someone with INPA or similar, you may be able to diagnose the problem.

I'm not able to diagnose the issue, but these should give some insights on how it all works.

New: added a couple of training docs on the engine cooling systems and IHKA. NOTE these are general E60 docs for learning. The are not specific to the diesel engines

Back to Jag XK world (my new love).

Best to all and good luck, Banglenot

Last edited by banglenot; 07-24-2023 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 300 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I'm glad the post above got posted. I was forgetting about the a/c control side of the fan. Personally I would buy a second hand and put it in. They are real cheap and it's plug and play. You have to make sure it's the same module and that can be done by just a visual check on the face