E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New paint job required

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004

Hey fellow E60 peoples. I have 90K on the car and it is time for a new paint job. It seems like the paint is soft or something because every peeble seem to chip it. Before I start getting some quote for the spring, what do we think a new paint job for the entire car should cost. Its Orient Blue and i want the exact same color. I'm gonna check Bavarian Autobody next week because i see them advertise with the Peachtree chapter CCA to get the ball rolling.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

If the front bumper chips from every pebble (i.e. easily), it is likely that it was repainted at some stage in time. I noticed on my wife's car that the bumper chipped a lot more after being repainted.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

It depends - if they do it right they will separate all of the body parts, check for and work out any imperfections, and paint them individually. I'd say about 3-5k.

You could probably get a shop to do it for less, but chances are they will cut some corners. If you don't know what to look for you might get screwed.

Be prepared to let your car sit there for a least a couple of weeks. Run away from any shop that says they can paint an entire car in a few days, unless you prefer a MAACO quality paint job.

Shop around and get several written estimates. You'd be surprised how bad a body shop will try to rip you off if they think they can get away with it. Get some recommendations from other people. Have the body shop show you some pictures of their work on other cars (most good ones have them). Good luck.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

I think painting the entire car for rock chips and other misc. wear and tear is a bit extreme. Since the front end is most likely the hardest impacted area, I would recommened upgrading to an OEM MTECH bumper and having that painted If the fenders or the hood are jacked up, retrofit them to the M5 fenders and maybe a Seibon/VIS carbon fiber hood.

Realistically, to paint the entire car to look as new will probably be $5,000 or better. In my area at least. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by pukka
It depends - if they do it right they will separate all of the body parts, check for and work out any imperfections, and paint them individually. I'd say about 3-5k.

You could probably get a shop to do it for less, but chances are they will cut some corners. If you don't know what to look for you might get screwed.

Be prepared to let your car sit there for a least a couple of weeks. Run away from any shop that says they can paint an entire car in a few days, unless you prefer a MAACO quality paint job.

Shop around and get several written estimates. You'd be surprised how bad a body shop will try to rip you off if they think they can get away with it. Get some recommendations from other people. Have the body shop show you some pictures of their work on other cars (most good ones have them). Good luck.
+1 MAACO is a POS. But to paint an entire car, it only takes a few days honestly. Sand down the entire car, fix all dings and minor dents, primer areas needed, take off handles, mirrors, moldings etc, spray base coat, spray clear, then buff and ur done. But most shops have other cars to work on so it usually takes a shop 1-2 weeks! It took me 1.5 weeks to get the whole car sprayed.

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
I think painting the entire car for rock chips and other misc. wear and tear is a bit extreme. Since the front end is most likely the hardest impacted area, I would recommened upgrading to an OEM MTECH bumper and having that painted If the fenders or the hood are jacked up, retrofit them to the M5 fenders and maybe a Seibon/VIS carbon fiber hood.

Realistically, to paint the entire car to look as new will probably be $5,000 or better. In my area at least. Good luck with your decision.
Nope. It costed me right under $3000 to spray the entire car. He might as well get a body kit AND spray the car.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
But to paint an entire car, it only takes a few days honestly. Sand down the entire car, fix all dings and minor dents, primer areas needed, take off handles, mirrors, moldings etc, spray base coat, spray clear, then buff and ur done. But most shops have other cars to work on so it usually takes a shop 1-2 weeks! It took me 1.5 weeks to get the whole car sprayed.
I agree - a GOOD body shop is always busy. I just didn't want the OP to get suckered if he was in a hurry to get the car back.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:40 AM
Contributors

I'm probably going to do my hood soon. But the whole car is extreme unless you want to change colors.