E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Owner - Searched Threads - Still have questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am a long time stalker of this site but I have a few questions. I am buying a used 535xi with premium, nav, cold weather, comfort access and sport package, 2008. I have looked forever for these options and finally found it, but here are a few questions I have.

I have searched by the way, but could not find perfect answers to my specific questions

A little help please for an audi convert

1. The warranty will be up in 12,000 miles, shoul I be concerned? The service record shows no Fuel or oil pressure changes just 1 catalytic converter replacement and spark plugs/coil replacement

2. I want to put mtech package on car immidately following delivery. What is the best option for this kit, the dealer wants 1,900...

3. Are the mtec 550i wheels available for purchase? Are their replicas? Where is a good place to search wheels?

4. What in the Hell is an LCI and why do I care?

5. Do I need to update my Nav disc?

6. Do I need to reflash my computer?

7. Should I have brakes looked at before warranty runs out? Anything Else I should have done?

8. Am I missing anything?

9. Why does everyone put different HIDs in their lights? Are the new ones reliable?

10. Should I buy extended warranty?

11. Where can I find the trunk finisher and spoiler that sticks off flush with the trunk...

I used to have an audi rs4 so this is my compromise for a daily driver. I am looking forward to it with these options.

Thanks ahead of time for your help... I look to do serious customizing in the first 3 weeks of ownership.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

My comments in red. When you're ready to mod let me know, I have a lot to offer. Oh and welcome to the forum. I had an Audi S4 myself with upgraded RS4 turbos.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by bmw021
1. The warranty will be up in 12,000 miles, shoul I be concerned? The service record shows no Fuel or oil pressure changes just 1 catalytic converter replacement and spark plugs/coil replacement. (How long do you plan to keep the car? Are you willing to/can you afford to pay for issues down the road? If not, may want to look into an ext. warranty)

2. I want to put mtech package on car immediately following delivery. What is the best option for this kit, the dealer wants 1,900... (There are replicas out there on the forum, most popular one will be from Trinity Autosport)

3. Are the mtec 550i wheels available for purchase? Are their replicas? Where is a good place to search wheels? (Haven't seen any replicas but if you're interested in some forged wheels, check the DPE link in my signature)

4. What in the Hell is an LCI and why do I care? LCI is the newer model 5 series. Yours is an LCI model)

5. Do I need to update my Nav disc? (Don't have to)

6. Do I need to reflash my computer? (Ask the dealer if there are any updates to the ECU. If there are see if they'll flash it. It doesn't have to be done just an option)

7. Should I have brakes looked at before warranty runs out? Anything Else I should have done? (You can try and have BMW replace these items like pads, oil, etc but they generally won't do it if your iDrive doesn't say it's time. I have aftermarket pads available that are a lot better than OEM when you're ready.)

8. Am I missing anything? (Any accidents? Has it been chipped/modified to increase the boost from the turbos?)

9. Why does everyone put different HIDs in their lights? Are the new ones reliable? (Most people change the angel eyes to something brighter. Others change the HID bulb because they want a different color)

10. Should I buy extended warranty? (Look at #1)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
My comments in red. When you're ready to mod let me know, I have a lot to offer. Oh and welcome to the forum. I had an Audi S4 myself with upgraded RS4 turbos.

Michael
Acute Performance

Thank You... so what is an lci?

Do the aftermarket mtec kits come with all that you need and do they fit right/are they paint ready with minor work?

DPE's are too expensive for what I will use this car for.. I am interested in a good cheap setup to upgrade from the worst 535xi wheels ever made.

Thanks for the help...Any other suggestions from other members/vendors?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Thank You... so what is an lci?

Do the aftermarket mtec kits come with all that you need and do they fit right/are they paint ready with minor work?

DPE's are too expensive for what I will use this car for.. I am interested in a good cheap setup to upgrade from the worst 535xi wheels ever made.

Thanks for the help...Any other suggestions from other members/vendors?
LCI - Life Cycle Impulse -- Basically, during the course of teh 7 year run, each model goes through a slight change with little changes, here and there. For example, different headlights, taillights(LED's) and a few other tweaks here and there. The one main component for you is getting the correct M-Tech kit, since you have an LCI. It's more costly than a Pre-LCI model kit. I would order the kit from Garry Romani (BMW of Newport RI) or Jason or Even from Tischer(Getbmwparts.com) and have it mounted and painted locally. It will be cheaper. Just make sure you mention that you're a member on this forum from either dealer, so you get the discount. The best option is to then play to the two dealers off each other. That's what I do for getting the lowest price.

As for wheels, I am the resident XI expert -- or at least I used to be until one of my pupils took over for me. Hahahahaha!

Anyway, you need to search for wheels with a high offset (ET30+). 3 series wheels are a good place to start. Standard E60 wheels that you see on most of the cars on this site will NOT fit your XI, unless of course, you like the wheels sticking out way beyond the wheel wells like a Cheech and Chong movie. LOL!

Here is my old, 2007 fully loaded 530xi with sport package. The wheels are VMR's, style VB-3's. If you search on many of my old XI threads, you'll find plenty of information.

https://5series.net/forums/gallery/i...7-dsc00973jpg/

Here are the VB3's in a variety of finishes:

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/vb3_..._finishes.html

I ran them in 19's and did staggered too (275's in the rear).

Hope this helps and again, do a search on many of my old threads with regards to your XI and that should help. Trust me.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Members

Thank you very much. I like the VMR710's...would these work? My car is space gray so I was thinking Matte Black. SHould I go with 19's or 18's?

Also, you reccomend getting the stock kit (oem) vs the umnitiza....Why?

Is my LCi the last update?

How do I search for your particular threads?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Thank you very much. I like the VMR710's...would these work? My car is space gray so I was thinking Matte Black. SHould I go with 19's or 18's?

Also, you reccomend getting the stock kit (oem) vs the umnitiza....Why?

Is my LCi the last update?

How do I search for your particular threads?
Sure would. I would do 19's. 18's look way too small inside the E60 wheel well. 18's on the E39 is a different story, but on the E60, 19's are the way to go (I'm actually running 20's on my current E60).

Specs for your XI are as follows:
Front: 19x8.5 ET35
Rear: 19x9.5 ET45 or ET33. If you do ET33, it will push the wheels further out and make them more flush with the well, which will negate the need for spacers in the rear. If you look at the picture of my old car from the link I sent you above, I ran ET40 and ET45 and had 10mm spacers in the front and 12mm spacers in the rear.
Center Bore: 72.6
PCD: 5x120

Read this for additional help:

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

You also have these finishes to choose from:

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/v710..._finishes.html

You can do Umnitza or the Trinity kit. OEM might be too costly, come to think of it. Reach out to Trinity Autosport (Owner: Joe). He's a member on this forum and one of our top vendors.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Members

wow. With how helpful people are on this forum it will be a quick time before I spend big bucks. I should be careful. Are there any pictures of e60's with these wheels? I will contact Joe as soon as my deal is final tomm. I am looking to get a quick start on this and have the car done in 3-4 weeks.

Mods planned:

ACS replica spoiler
Mtec body kit
wheels (probably VMR matte black v710's)
HID Fogs if possible
LED Interior Lights
Updated Nav Disc
Powdercoated calipers matte black

Shouldn't cost too much...Any thoughts on cost to paint/install these kits on average?
Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Contributors

ACS replica spoiler
Be careful with this rear spoiler. It's very wavy and looks cheap. If you're ok with that, no biggy, but there are other choices. A few local friends had it on their old E60's and it looked like crap to me.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Members

is there a different one I should look at that doesn't wrinkle? Also, what do you think the cost to paint/install all of this costs???
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

is the nav disc available on file sharing websites?

Quick Reply: New Owner - Searched Threads - Still have questions