E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New owner, iDrive+MP3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 530xi was built in 09/2009 with no nav, but it doesn't play MP3's. I haven't taken it to a dealer yet because I want to make sure that I've got everything straight. From everything I've read, 06 models with no nav built after 09/2005 should be able to play mp3's from the factory. It's only the nav equipped models that need a software update to enable the mp3 functionality. Is this correct?

Secondly, (possibly related) I've read that the idrive screen background changed from brown to silver at version 24. My idrive background is still brown, indicating that I have an old version correct? Could this be the reason that I'm unable to play mp3's? Everything that I've read says that I should have the capability from the factory, but is it possible that I got one of the first September builds with older, non MP3 capable software?

I understand that the dealer's won't update the idrive software unless there's a problem with it, would this (not being able to play mp3's) qualify as a problem, forcing them to update the software under warranty?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

It really should be able to play MP3s from the factory but not MP3s in the CD changer. MP3 functionality is available here (US) for cars that didn't originally come with it and is covered under the warranty. There is an SIB in a thread here somewhere but it has copyright BMWNA so would probably cause your UK dealer to disregard it, there was some technical info in there as to what kind of system the update worked on.

EDIT:

SIB for US http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=92282

Other MP3 thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24018
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Actually I might be wrong about non nav (MASK) units and MP3...I'll shut up now and let someone else take over!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='869825' date='May 6 2009, 10:19 AM
It really should be able to play MP3s from the factory but not MP3s in the CD changer. MP3 functionality is available here (US) for cars that didn't originally come with it and is covered under the warranty. There is an SIB in a thread here somewhere but it has copyright BMWNA so would probably cause your UK dealer to disregard it, there was some technical info in there as to what kind of system the update worked on.

EDIT:

SIB for US http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=92282

Other MP3 thread http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24018
I don't have a CD changer, and am aware that it's only the in-dash unit that has mp3 capability. I've read a ton about this on here, bimmer forums and bimmer fest. I'm located in Canada, but it should be equivalent to the American cars. The MASK cars (apparently?) stopped being produced and as of 09/2005 all cars were CCC. The nav cars had mp3 disabled, while the non-nav cars supposedly had it from the factory, that's why I'm confused. I should be able to play them with no issues.

I've burned mp3 CD's with three types of media, using itunes, windows media player and Vista's cd data burning function. None work, they all spit out a "cannot read media" error. Using the same types of discs, I burned standard audio cd's and those play fine, so I know it's not the media that's the problem, the car simply can't read the mp3 cd's.

This is just strange, does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? I just want to have more info before going to the dealer. I'm just worried htat they'll claim that I'm not covered under warranty, since the SIB only covers cars with navigation.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

...time traveler???...

Originally Posted by jaydub456' post='869816' date='May 6 2009, 11:08 AM
My 530xi was built in 09/2009 with no nav, but it doesn't play MP3's. I haven't taken it to a dealer yet because I want to make sure that I've got everything straight. From everything I've read, 06 models with no nav built after 09/2005 should be able to play mp3's from the factory. It's only the nav equipped models that need a software update to enable the mp3 functionality. Is this correct?

Secondly, (possibly related) I've read that the idrive screen background changed from brown to silver at version 24. My idrive background is still brown, indicating that I have an old version correct? Could this be the reason that I'm unable to play mp3's? Everything that I've read says that I should have the capability from the factory, but is it possible that I got one of the first September builds with older, non MP3 capable software?

I understand that the dealer's won't update the idrive software unless there's a problem with it, would this (not being able to play mp3's) qualify as a problem, forcing them to update the software under warranty?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Contributors

Update your location that might help, there are some Canadian members that could give some input if there are issues with Canadian BMW dealers. You have all the info to go to the dealer, only thing I might try before the dealer is burning from another PC or getting an MP3 CD you know works in another vehicle.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='869880' date='May 6 2009, 10:59 AM
Update your location that might help, there are some Canadian members that could give some input if there are issues with Canadian BMW dealers. You have all the info to go to the dealer, only thing I might try before the dealer is burning from another PC or getting an MP3 CD you know works in another vehicle.
I've updated my location, and my car was built in 09/2005, not in 2009. I tried to edit the original post but couldn't. Does anybody have a link to the MP3 compatability chart? I've seen it before but I can't find it now. I'm sure that it showed the 09/2005 cars as all having the mp3 capability. THe link earlier was only for the SIB, it did not include the mp3 compatability matrix.

I doubt that it's my PC, as the car did read standard audio discs burnt on 3 different types of media with the same PC. I tried 3 different programs with 3 different types of media for mp3's, none work.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Earlier CCC software was unstable, so MP3 playback was programatically disabled. It can be re-enabled for free during the warranty period:
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B651805g.htm

MP3 CD-R should be burned no faster than 8x, using the file system format of ISO 9660 1999
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24018

With SIB and newer PROGMAN/CIPS software, even a 2004 E60 with CCC plays MP3 CD in-dash.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Members

I guess that answers that for mp3's.

My other question was about iDrive. Am I right in saying that I have a pretty old software version? I believe it was version 24 that went to a silver background, and it's on version 34(?) right now?
Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='869989' date='May 6 2009, 07:14 PM
Earlier CCC software was unstable, so MP3 playback was programatically disabled. It can be re-enabled for free during the warranty period:
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B651805g.htm

MP3 CD-R should be burned no faster than 8x, using the file system format of ISO 9660 1999
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24018

With SIB and newer PROGMAN/CIPS software, even a 2004 E60 with CCC plays MP3 CD in-dash.
mine is a business nav (mask) 2003 and it plays mp3`s (after update) no problem

Quick Reply: New owner, iDrive+MP3 questions