5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   New Owner 2008 535 (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/new-owner-2008-535-a-73208/)

James_2008_535 03-22-2009 01:53 AM

Just bought a used 2008 535I with premium package, sports package & navigation.

It cost 42% less than buying a new 2009 which I am happy with.

I previously owned a 2001 BMW X5 4.4I for 5 years before selling it in 2006 for a Porsche Cayman S, (great car, handled like a dream & sad I have to let her go).

So now I am back to a BMW and need a bit of help.

I am missing a few things.

1) Order 2nd key (I guess I will have to goto bmw dealership for this and pay $200).
2) Ipod Kit
3) Covers for the two power outlets in back of center arm rest.
4) One tire is worn, and and another has a nail in side wall. It has run flat tires on it which I hate as they are too stiff and noisy so I ordered a full set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position.

I hope this turns out to be a sound buy and provides 2-3 years of great driving.

craigm1841 03-22-2009 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by James_2008_535' post='823583' date='Mar 22 2009, 05:53 AM
Just bought a used 2008 535I with premium package, sports package & navigation.

It cost 42% less than buying a new 2009 which I am happy with.

I previously owned a 2001 BMW X5 4.4I for 5 years before selling it in 2006 for a Porsche Cayman S, (great car, handled like a dream & sad I have to let her go).

So now I am back to a BMW and need a bit of help.

I am missing a few things.

1) Order 2nd key (I guess I will have to goto bmw dealership for this and pay $200).
2) Ipod Kit
3) Covers for the two power outlets in back of center arm rest.
4) One tire is worn, and and another has a nail in side wall. It has run flat tires on it which I hate as they are too stiff and noisy so I ordered a full set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position.

I hope this turns out to be a sound buy and provides 2-3 years of great driving.

awesome purchase. you will be quite pleased for time to come. the key is dealer-centric and that is surely the only place to get it and rest assured your butt will be sore when you walk out of the dealer, although $200 doesnt sound bad. The iPod adapter will cost you approx $500 from the dealer installed. I have done it. it is the only way. there is also this product called the "dension gateway" which someone may be able to provide more insight. I dont know if it is cheaper or better. I just went with the BMW product. The covers for the power outlets should be a few bucks at the dealer. lucky for you there is no labor charge, because surely if you have imposible thumbs and working eyeballs you can put these on in about 1 second flat. i think there is something fishy about buying a car from a dealer with a worn tire and nail in the tire. did you buy this from a bmw dealer? the tire situation sounds completely rediculous. additionally i would have demanded a second key now that i think about it. non the less you got a great car and congrats!

lightfytr 03-22-2009 06:51 AM

Dude, you found the deal of the century. Be content on the deal you got and stop complaining about those minor issues. Post some pics...

juris335 03-22-2009 07:09 AM

So you paid $25,000 for a 2008 535i. That is a great purchase. You should be happy to be paying for the few items you still need. Congrats and enjoy!

Richard in NC 03-22-2009 07:28 AM

Nice find! How about some pics?

Before spending money on an iPod kit, check to see if you have a USB port in the center console compartment. If so, you have the 6FL option and just need a $10 cable from the dealer. The standard iPod cable won't work.

BlaSTiWi 03-22-2009 07:39 AM

Welcome & enjoy the new ride!

CWS530 03-22-2009 07:48 AM

Sounds like a great car. Regarding the $200 key, you can avoid this by getting a non-electronic valet key made for about $25. Then, you'll have one in emergencies (lock-out, whatever). If you lose the original, then you can cough up the bigger cash for the electronic one. I did this when I lost one of originals on my e46. I never did lose the other, so I saved a little. 2 cents.

ynottony 03-22-2009 08:45 AM

How many miles? How much did you pay?

You should be able to get the dealer to replace the 2nd key free of charge.
They did it for me when I bought my '08 CPO.

EBMCS03 03-22-2009 09:07 AM

Why did u give up the cayman? I would like to hear your comparison between the cayman and 535

James_2008_535 03-22-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='823592' date='Mar 22 2009, 05:11 AM
awesome purchase. you will be quite pleased for time to come. the key is dealer-centric and that is surely the only place to get it and rest assured your butt will be sore when you walk out of the dealer, although $200 doesnt sound bad. The iPod adapter will cost you approx $500 from the dealer installed. I have done it. it is the only way. there is also this product called the "dension gateway" which someone may be able to provide more insight. I dont know if it is cheaper or better. I just went with the BMW product. The covers for the power outlets should be a few bucks at the dealer. lucky for you there is no labor charge, because surely if you have imposible thumbs and working eyeballs you can put these on in about 1 second flat. i think there is something fishy about buying a car from a dealer with a worn tire and nail in the tire. did you buy this from a bmw dealer? the tire situation sounds completely rediculous. additionally i would have demanded a second key now that i think about it. non the less you got a great car and congrats!

Thanks,

The reason I paid $34k and not $40k+ was because of things like the tires, only 1 key & navigation. Problem is these things get stolen at auction, the navigation disc that is. I had the car inspected before I purchased it so was fully aware of the history and knew it would cost me $2k to bring car up to spec, which still makes it a good buy IMHO.