E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Member... and questions of course

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:49 PM
UM1
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, Sport package, 18" crappy sport wheels, 30% tint, clear shield, diamond gloss finish, iphone w/bluetooth, Glock 19 rolling security.

Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2007 530i sport a few weeks ago. I've been watching this forum closely and doing as much research as I can, but now I think I'm just confused so I decided to break down and ask some questions.

My first is about what else... wheels.
Because I drive a fair amount of miles per year and am on many varying roads I think I'll go with 19". I'd like a wheel with a lip (because I've never had that) but it seems from what I'm reading that 19" may be too small for a wheel with a lip and might not look as aggressive as I hope. Is there anyone with 19" wheels with a lip that can post pics of their car? My other option is to get some M5 or M6 wheels. I asked my dealership if the M5 wheel would fit the 530 and they said "I don't know... I don't think so... your only option is to order them and mount them and see." What a great help they were, I was sure to give everyone a hi-five before I left. So the other question is will they fit and what mods do I have to do? I've been reading on here about spacers but I'll be honest it's greek to me. I want the wheels and tires to fill the fenders and of course with no rubbing.

I used to have an E46 M3 with 19" OEM wheels, Eibach springs and sway bars. I'm interested in springs for the 530 but am concerned about ride quality decreasing. It was one thing for the M3 to ride really tight but I don't want that on this 530. What changes in ride quality have you experienced with the H&R/Eibach springs?

I also called and talked to 2point5 about the spec doc and use with iphone 3G. The guy said they knew it would charge the iphone ok, but wasn't sure if you'd have control of the ipod functions through the IDrive control, or if you'd have to just control the ipod portion through the phone. I'm using the phone blue tooth with no problems and would very much like to keep the functions all through the IDrive. Is anyone using this set up on a 3G and does it work ok? He also stated that if I went with the BMW iphone cord via the glove box that it wouldn't charge the 3G. Anyone know if this is fact or not?

Sorry for all the questions. I searched the forum for all of this but couldn't seem to track down exact answers.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Alpine White/Creme Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim; Premium pkg, Ipod USB (6FL), Xenons, sunroof, Eibach pro-kit 1.2" drop all around, limo tint all around. LED license plate festoons. Soon to come: M6 replica 19" rims, Angel Eyes mod, fog light mod.

i could give my 2cents about my springs. ya the ride quality has deff dropped. but hey u want the dropped look thats the only way to go.....i paid 250 for my springs nutin crazy like spinrgs and shocks but the turns have tigthened ive noticed
Old 09-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

& congrats on the new ride!

Both M5 or M6 wheels will fit w/ no problem just need to get the right tire sizes...
Old 09-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Congrats on the new (to you) car and enjoy the forums!!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

The dealer really said he didn't know if M5 wheels would fit a regular e60 - 5 series? What moron... yeah, you can put M5 and M6 wheels on an e60... go to the top and click the "Gallery" link and see pics of members who have already done so... hope this helps. Also, congrats on the new car and believe me when I say that all your money will be going towards modding your e60!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

For tips on mods... read people's signatures and see what they have already done to their cars... this will give you an idea of what to add and what brands are available... happy modding!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums. PM sent
Old 09-25-2008, 05:34 PM
UM1
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Sport package, 18" crappy sport wheels, 30% tint, clear shield, diamond gloss finish, iphone w/bluetooth, Glock 19 rolling security.

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='678440' date='Sep 25 2008, 08:43 PM
The dealer really said he didn't know if M5 wheels would fit a regular e60 - 5 series? What moron... yeah, you can put M5 and M6 wheels on an e60... go to the top and click the "Gallery" link and see pics of members who have already done so... hope this helps. Also, congrats on the new car and believe me when I say that all your money will be going towards modding your e60!
First I asked the parts guys, they didn't know. Then they told me to ask my service manager, he didn't know. So he calls out one of the service tech's... no in fact TWO of them.... they didn't know. There is nothing I hate more than when people in these positions don't know their product.

I have been reading the signatures and gone through the gallery but I'm seeing some conflicting things. I've seen some with the M6 wheels then some with the M6 wheels and rear spacers. Maybe it's not conflicting but a little confusing to a "wheel noob" like myself. I think the M6 wheel is the best looking 19" wheel... then there is that CSL wheel. My wife likes the Vossen wheels then again she doesn't know how much they cost (and neither do I). I'm not putting the wheels on til next spring though but I must have it perfect the first time. I've learned my lesson with guns and gun accessories. Do it right the first time.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Contributors

The reason for seeing some posted as M6 wheels, and yet others with M6 wheels and spacers is actually quite simple. M6 wheels (aka 167s) come in 2 different offsets: 1) Front ET+12, Rear ET+17 (produced for European M5 models), and 2) Front ET+12, Rear ET+28 (what's actually found on the M6). Either setup will work on your 530, it just depends on how aggressive you desire. The M6 setup will give you a flush with the fender look without the aid of spacers, front and rear. The M5 setup will be a little more tucked into the fenders on the rear (11mm to be exact), thus the use of a 10 to 15mm rear spacer with this setup is common. Clear as mud?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM
UM1
Members

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='678570' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:48 PM
The reason for seeing some posted as M6 wheels, and yet others with M6 wheels and spacers is actually quite simple. M6 wheels (aka 167s) come in 2 different offsets: 1) Front ET+12, Rear ET+17 (produced for European M5 models), and 2) Front ET+12, Rear ET+28 (what's actually found on the M6). Either setup will work on your 530, it just depends on how aggressive you desire. The M6 setup will give you a flush with the fender look without the aid of spacers, front and rear. The M5 setup will be a little more tucked into the fenders on the rear (11mm to be exact), thus the use of a 10 to 15mm rear spacer with this setup is common. Clear as mud?
Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

I have to go to bed, my head hurts. I can hear my bank account draining as I type this.

Quick Reply: New Member... and questions of course