E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New member with new, maybe old questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 PY M3, looking at a 545i

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='392926' date='Feb 18 2007, 02:22 PM
what are they asking for the 545 ?
They are asking $43975 and only want to give me 25k for my M3. The same dealership has an '05 545 (the one i want is an '04) with an auto and a little less miles for thge same price. I figure they have to budge some, its a stick and sticks don't sell well here in the NYC area. I know it is a goo price, but he ke[t giving me this snow job about it being sold to a dentist with an M3 like me blah blah blah, its still there. I want to ask for at least 2-3k more for mine the I might take it.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by madmatt151' post='392913' date='Feb 18 2007, 01:34 PM
Thasnk all for your input. I just looked at the dealership where I test drove the 545i and lo and behold, the particular vehicle he told me a dentist bought is back online and more pictures have been posted. Interesting. I did test drive both 530 and 545 both with sport packages, adn the sport package does make it better driving for what I am looking for. During the test drive of the 545i the salesman told me I didn't have to slow down because the handling was "very good" so I did a power slide through the 270 degree off ramp and witnessed horror come from his face, but no sound. The car was very controlled and predictable... you know a BMW! I apologozed and he said nothing. That alone made me want to buy the car. I may go down and renegotiate that car. Manual transmissions here in the NYC area trend to be very unpopular so I think I can still budge him a bit.

Thanks for the info all guys. Oh, I was also told by my fiance that we all have to grow up sometimes LowOrbit. I just didn't want to get rid of my toys!
Although a 545 will just about keep up with an M3 in a straight line, it doesn't have the handling and raw feel of the M3. The M3 engine is more responsive due to its individual throttle bodies, and it screams because of its high redline. The M3 can drift and power out of corners with a lot more control because of its LSD. The 545 is more of a cruiser. Its more comfortable and quieter, but much lazier in its responses. If I were to drive it around twisty roads like an M3, I'd feel like I were abusing the 545. That being said, after your test drive, if you feel that you'd be happy with the 545, then by all means go for it.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Arent dealers amusing?

After negotiating on my 550i, we got to the point in the conversation where they made an offer on my trade (an '01 CPO 740iL). They topped out at $16k. I laughed and told them no thanks. Sold it for $24k in just 2 days online.

They'll hose you any way they can.

Hold firm to your numbers, and you'll prevail.

Good luck.

- Pete
Old 02-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='392934' date='Feb 18 2007, 02:37 PM
Arent dealers amusing?

After negotiating on my 550i, we got to the point in the conversation where they made an offer on my trade (an '01 CPO 740iL). They topped out at $16k. I laughed and told them no thanks. Sold it for $24k in just 2 days online.

They'll hose you any way they can.

Hold firm to your numbers, and you'll prevail.

Good luck.

- Pete
I thought about trying to sell it (any takers out there ), but with the tax incentive because of the trade in I would have to get a lot more than what I feel appropriate for it to be beneficial to me finacially. They try to hose you because they have you by the short hairs. Basically I would have to get over 30k I think for it to be profitable to me. To do this I would have to really clean up the car to a perfect condition which would take some money, it is my daily driver in NYC. Now I don't mind taking the hit due to the condition, but not a 5k hit like they are offering. 2k to me isnt that bad, especially since it would take 1k or so in minor body repairs to fix the scratches etc.

Thanks for the thoughts on the drivability of the 545. I know there will be a step down for me in performance, but I don't want to go too much down. The handling did feel very good and the steering was almost as good as my M3. Rarely do we get to take our cars to the limit, unless we track them. I won't be tracking the 545 I assume, just aggresive highway driving etc. Only problem is the guys at work who are struggling to get 525s etc will think they have the same car as me. I know image isn't too important, but it is a concern with me a bit. I just wish they had more imaginative colors to offer.

Also, I have searched and am getting cnflicting info. What is the offset of the wheels on the sport package of the 545i. I was wondering if my iForged rims will fit the car. They are 19" and have the M3 offset.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

im not sure about the offsets of your wheels or whichever M3 wheels you are reffering to, but the offsets for the stock wheels on a 545i with sport package is 20 in the front and 32 in the rear. hope that helps a bit.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='393048' date='Feb 18 2007, 11:45 PM
im not sure about the offsets of your wheels or whichever M3 wheels you are reffering to, but the offsets for the stock wheels on a 545i with sport package is 20 in the front and 32 in the rear. hope that helps a bit.
Thansk, that helps alot. I have aftermarket rims, the ones you see in the picture at the top of this thread. Wondering if they would look good on a Gray 545.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545I WHITE ON GRAY , SMG, NAV, SPORT PKG, PREM SND, COLD WTHR, STOCK CHROME, TITANIUM TINTS, EURO REFLECTORS, DEBADGED.

Originally Posted by madmatt151' post='393121' date='Feb 19 2007, 09:11 AM
Thansk, that helps alot. I have aftermarket rims, the ones you see in the picture at the top of this thread. Wondering if they would look good on a Gray 545.
Hey mat what r u looking to spend.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Members

Hi Matt, this is my first post here too. I'm basically in the exact same boat you are. I'm looking to replace my 04M3 with some kind of 5 series. I want something a little less insane because kids will be on the way soon and the M3 is just not practical.

Have you thought about waiting a couple months until the 535 comes out? That is a sick, sick engine and the e90/e92 guys are getting nice power increases with the vishnu piggyback engine computer (PROcede). Since the 535i will use the same engine as the 335i, I would imagine the same kind of power increases are available which means you might be able to approach 550i levels for a whole lot less. It's gonna be hard to sell our used M3's in the northeast until the weather gets warmer anyways.

Only problem with waiting for the 535i is the great lease rates that are out there right now. They're surely not going to be available on the facelifted cars with the new engine...
Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by debaserm3' post='393164' date='Feb 19 2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Matt, this is my first post here too. I'm basically in the exact same boat you are. I'm looking to replace my 04M3 with some kind of 5 series. I want something a little less insane because kids will be on the way soon and the M3 is just not practical.
Hmmmm.... I was driving my daughter around in M3 for 4 years... Only when she has grown a bit and started banging on my seat with her little feet I began to wonder if I need a bigger car. My friends in Europe have 3 series and two teenage boys AND they go skiing regularly. Are you sure you are not getting into "I now have a child so I must buy a minivan/SUV" thing?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by uglybear' post='393179' date='Feb 19 2007, 06:18 PM
Hmmmm.... I was driving my daughter around in M3 for 4 years... Only when she has grown a bit and started banging on my seat with her little feet I began to wonder if I need a bigger car. My friends in Europe have 3 series and two teenage boys AND they go skiing regularly. Are you sure you are not getting into "I now have a child so I must buy a minivan/SUV" thing?
Or into "I need an excuse to get myself an E60?"

Didn't we all?