E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New member needs some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
At present I have a 2002 Acura TL-S type with about 91,000 miles that I have up for sale. I have been introduced to a fellow
who has a brokers license, has been in the car business for many years, and works with car buyers like me. He goes to
auctions and local car dealers and buys his customers the cars they like at wholesale and then marks them up $1000 for
his profit. Seems reasonable to me, and significantly cheaper than I could buy a car.
Anyway, he called me today and said a local BMW dealer has a 2005 525i with about 40,000 miles. He thinks it has the Premium and
Sport packages, and is going to bring the car over for my wife and I to look at tomorrow, Saturday. He was not certain of the
price on the phone but did say close to $29,000. How does this sound to you all? And also, is there any reason I should not
buy the car if I like it? Known "issues"? The mileage is a little heavy, would have liked to see around 30,000 but I suppose it
does not matter at all? How about the smaller motor, I think 175 hp, any comments, any reason to regret this size motor later?
I am selling my Acura because I am getting older and can feel every road bump with its more taut sport suspension. I had
originally told him to find me a couple year old Cadillac to get something with a softer ride. How do you all feel about the
525i's driver's seat, and suspension, will it suck up road irregularities ok?
Oh, he said it was a silver color, anyone know what color interior it would have?
I really appreciate any advice, I am new to BMW's!
Thanks
John
Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

First, I have a built-in prediliction against brokers or middlemen of any sort but that notwithstanding, this sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Of course many cars go to auctions nowadays but still, I would do my shopping at a dealership with a BMW logo on it.

You would of course have to treat this purchase like any used car purchase, having it inspected, making sure it wasn?t in any accidents, having a dealer run a report on the VIN etc.

Since I probably wouldn?t consider a used car, I may not be the best person to comment, but I would assume you would want a low mileage car, esp. so you don?t end up without a warranty.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

1. BMW 525 will feel very under powered compared to TL-S. You need at least 530.
2. BMWs are very expensive to maintain and repair. A 2005 car with 40K miles will be out of warranty soon and may cost a fortune if it breaks down. BTW it is probably more than 3 years old. MY 2006 5-series (6-cyl) were release in March of 2005.
3. BMWs are not known for a soft or a comfortable ride. It will be much less punishing that TL-S though.
4. Buying 5-series does not make much financial sense in US. I would suggest you to wait for lease rates to improve and lease a new one. You should be able to get 528 with 230bhp for around $500-550 a month. Keep in mind that for a new car maintenance is free. Used one that is out of warranty may cost you up to $100/month to maintain.
5. The price seems to be somewhat high too. You may want to check "real-world trade in values" at edmunds.com after you get detailed info on the car.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

+1 the 525 will feel a little underpowered compared to the TL-S. one of my friends had one and then was going to switch either to a 530 or a G35, just thinking about power. i dont agree to SergeyM's number 3 comment though. the 5 series is a comfortable ride in my opinion and im sure many would agree with me. but i agree with the warranty issue. unless you go for extended maintenance and/or extended warranty, id say get a new e60. good luck with it. other than that, welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='444293' date='Jul 6 2007, 09:06 PM
1. BMW 525 will feel very under powered compared to TL-S. You need at least 530.
2. BMWs are very expensive to maintain and repair. A 2005 car with 40K miles will be out of warranty soon and may cost a fortune if it breaks down. BTW it is probably more than 3 years old. MY 2006 5-series (6-cyl) were release in March of 2005.
3. BMWs are not known for a soft or a comfortable ride. It will be much less punishing that TL-S though.
4. Buying 5-series does not make much financial sense in US. I would suggest you to wait for lease rates to improve and lease a new one. You should be able to get 528 with 230bhp for around $500-550 a month. Keep in mind that for a new car maintenance is free. Used one that is out of warranty may cost you up to $100/month to maintain.
5. The price seems to be somewhat high too. You may want to check "real-world trade in values" at edmunds.com after you get detailed info on the car.
--------------------------------
WOW! Based on the above I have been talked out of buying a BMW because they are so expensive to maintain, in fact do not
buy a used BMW without a warranty because it could cost the owner a fortune, and do not buy a five series because it does not
make any financial sense to do so. So everyone on this forum who owns a five series and bought it instead of leased it did not make
a sound financial decision? And I should expect at least to pay $100 a month to maintain a five series, on what? Oil changes every
month? All the light bulbs need replacement every month?
OK! I will go buy some other brand of car instead. Glad I stopped in this BMW forum first, sounds like I saved myself from
making a bad decision buying a used five series BMW. Thanks for the honest advice!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Members

norton,

I think you missed the point. Based on your requirements, a nearly 'out of warranty' 525 doesn't seem like the right deal for you. It's a little under-powered (later model 525/528's have more power, or get a 530/545).

Have you ever driven a 5-series before? If not, do so first, before you try and decide on the car. You may not like it, but then again you may end up loving it for the 'intangibles' that your Acura doesn't have.

I wouldn't worry THAT much about the warranty issue - just find one that hasn't been a lemon. And yes, you can get a very good deal leasing a new BMW, but it sounds like you keep your cars longer than 3 years. If so, a purchase may make sense (forum members who purchased didn't all get ripped off).

Good luck.