E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New member here looking for some help and guidance

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Hello! First of all, great forum! I've been checking out this forum for quite a few months now and have come across some great posts.

I'm finally thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2008 535i/550i. I'm torn between the two...low mileage (< 30k miles) 550i's seem to be retailing for $41k - $50k, while 535i's in the $34k - $40k range. I'm not sure what people are actually paying, but seems like dealers aren't willing to budge much on the 550i's, though I love the look and sound of it! As a result, I started looking more into the 535i's and found a nicely equipped one for $37k....would offering $34k be reasonable? The car is being sold at a non-BMW dealership, and has 28,600mi, black sapphire/black dakota, sport/prem, nav, ipod connection, comfort access, heated seats, and sport auto transmission. Are people getting good deals on such cars? Mannheim auction prices (wholesale) seem to indicate more like $32k for well equipped cars.

Additionally, as far as mods go, I'm in love with the MTech package on the 550i sport, so if I get a 535i, I would strongly consider getting such a kit put on. What's the consensus on the replica kits from Umnitza vs. Trinity Auto as far as quality and fitment? Do these kits come with all the hardware (grilles, screws, foglights) to mount the front/rear bumper and side skirts? If not, what exactly is needed for a fool-proof install? How much are people paying to get them painted and installed at a reputable body shop?

Finally, regarding the N54 engine, I realize it's a coin toss regarding the HPFP. I've read about forum members who have had multiple pumps replaced, and then those that haven't had any issues. When talking to a BMW salesman, he told me that the new pumps have resolved the issue...I don't really buy it since I've read about experiences in even 09 and 10 models with the pump. The 535i that I'm considering had its pump replaced this March at 25k miles...hope that it doesn't have any further issues.

Sorry for the long FIRST post, but I wanted to be thorough. Also, I apologize for re-hashing what has already been discussed and found in other threads, but I was hoping to get feedback on various topics all in one thread. Thanks for your help, and I look forward to being a contributing member soon!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

First, welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here.
Second, yes, the 535 still has HPFP issues (so does the 135 and 335), even new ones - a coworker of mine is currently working on getting his 535 lemoned and he wants a 550 to replace it.
Third, and most importantly: TRINITY FTW!!!! They are great vendors and great people, you will enjoy your experience with them. Their kits come complete with everything you need to get it painted and installed - the first time. Contact member Nerweezy for pricing
Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Contributors

go with the 550 and pm Nerweezy for any modification needs. I had a 535 and it got lemoned. It's a big waste of time and money. Trinity is the most reputable vendor and as for performance parts try to go with RPI.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

. This forum has a lot of information on mods and DIYs. But be warned, your wallet is going to be thin and light if you get bitten by the mod bug.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your purchase and modding. Just remember, it's you who will be driving and paying for this new ride. Listen to advice from others, but ultimately make the decision for yourself. Go with your gut instinct. If you choose otherwise, you're always going to be second guessing yourself. Also, set a budget and DO NOT go over it. People often rush into purchasing a new/preowned vehicle and end up spending more than they can afford or more than they'd like. Take your time and the right car will come along with the right price tag.

EVERYONE will recommend Trinity Autosport. They deserve every bit of recognition because of their knowledge and service. However, do shop around. I bought a brand new/unopened Umnitza replica kit from a member on this forum and saved a TON of money. Yeah there were some complications and it took forever for it to arrive, but in the end I got what I wanted and saved a bit (sad part is the money I saved will go to other mods).

As far as getting the kit painted and installed, I'm paying just over a $1000 to get it done. They're also installing a swift motorized license plate. I get my car back tomorrow morning and I can't wait! I'll be sure to post pics when I do.

One last tip before you pull the trigger. I think I paid about $100 to have a professional meet me at the dealer to inspect the car before I purchased it. Best $100 I spent on the car. Included a carfax report, cold start inspection, test drive (inspector drove it), diagnostic test (wasn't all that detailed though), and a bunch of other things. In all it took about just over an hour.

Good luck with your decisions. Look at it like this: either way you'll be driving a 5 series BMW!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Members

paid 32k for my 2008 535xi sport, prem, nav, cold weather 38k. gray on Gray. The deals are out there if you wait especially with the f10. I also spent 4500 in 3 weeks on it customizing it. Be warned.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Welcome to the forum.

For the M kits all the kits are exactly the same, we simply offer you the best price with 2 choices door to door for $50 more than our standard prices or pick up at Greyhound (usually more convenient because you don't have to be home when they deliver) for $800 shipped for M5 Style with Quad rear or $850 shipped with M Style Single Output Rear.