E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: it's only a puny 520i

Hello all!

Last month I bought myself an awesome birthday present!

my car history:
learned to drive with a renault clio 1.2 manual
My first "real" car was a Mercedes 190E automatic (122hp) which I got for free from my grandfather. It was an insanely dangerous vehicle, especially with a little snow.
I remember literally having to countersteer on straight roads that where a little concave, while being passed by other cars at the same time.

I guess it was the incredibly sh***y weight distribution combined with rwd and no clutch that made this car really exciting to drive, it sort of gave you a misplaced sense of security too. I sold it when my dad offered me his Saab 900 (1995, 133hp, manual).
Don't get me wrong the Saab is a good car, I still have it, but it was boring as ****. FWD took literally months to get used to: that feel when the power travels from the back to the front of the car when accelerating with an RWD,
I instantly missed it, FWD feels like you are being pulled by the steering wheel and everything behind you is just slugging along. That being said I can guarantee you this car is impossible to crash, nothing exciting about it, it pulls you through every corner at any speed without a hassle, and if you make it slide, it just slides sideways, as opposed to the benz, it would almost kill you at minor mistakes (the perfect first car).

A couple months back it became clear my saab wasn't going to pass the yearly mandatory check, so I started looking for a second hand car: the first time I would ever pick my own car!
My criterias were: RWD, electric sunroof, petrol, leather interiour, gps, rev counter (no I never had one) and acceptable colors in & outside.

It came down to Mercedes E class W211, BMW 5 series E60 or BMW 3 series coupe E92 (damn it's so beautiful).
After maybe 2 months of waiting and searching I hit the jackpot

BMW 520IA E60 with 44500km (27651 miles), 1 year warranty about 5 miles away from where I live.

Compared to what most of you guys drive it's nothing much really, a 2004 520IA 170hp. I know most of you will think it's a puny engine, and honestly I WAS scared it was going to be slow, but now I can say I don't really need more. I have noticed it revs quite hard on the highway but I hardly ever use highways. I live in Belgium and I work from home so I don't need to use it to drive to work. I felt it was my last chance to get a 6 cylinder engine, with all this downsizing going on over here in Europe I might not be able to afford one in a few years, who knows It wasn't that expensive either since 95% of Belgium drives diesel. I didn't specifically pick an automatic but the car came with all the other things I wanted, if it was a manual I would still have bought it I guess.

I've had it for 3 weeks now but even weeks before that I was reading this message board.
I must say I love this car! The steering wheel is quite heavy to handle with one arm I think, and the automatic is very slow too, but the engine is so smooth.

Years ago I used to think the E60 was outright ugly... I'm actually quite shocked at how much her looks have grown on me
Attached Thumbnails New Member-2011-03-23-14.19.13-2.jpg   New Member-2011-03-23-14.18.57.jpg   New Member-2011-03-23-16.26.48-2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

to the forum!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

great narrative, I can follow your story very well. You've made an excellent choice and wont regret it. What you have to guard against now is the mods bug... If you read this forum, you WILL get infected. Now you've had fair warning.

On your selection criteria list, I note you deselected diesel. My last two 5'ers have both been diesel and I love them. They were my first diesels but OMG do these engines impress. The 520d I started with was brilliant; lots of torque and very economical. I honestly felt it had all the power I needed. The engine sound was not bad, the way diesel used to be but the problem I had with it was the absense of a great sound. I've now upgraded to a twinturbo six which has that big engine sound and it's a big improvement on the 4 cylinder. I now enjoy listening to the engine and I LOVE THE TORQUE which is just always present. It's very revvy too, albeit only to about 4750 rpm but it gets there right quick let me tell you. OK I'll admit that a gasoline engine still has a small upper hand when it comes to the delicious sound and feel when you're revving it out but on 29 out of 30 days the diesel just beats the gasoline car with the locomotive like power you have available anytime anywhere anyday. Do yourself a favor next time you look for a replacement and cast a wider net; the bmw diesels are A W E S O M E and you'll find yourself at the filling station only once a week, if that.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Members

Thanks!

Yeah it's completely stock! I'm not so sure I'm susceptible to this mod bug just yet, there are minor issues I might check and run passed you guys

I'm fully aware of the awesomeness that is BMW diesels, I have seen the Top Gear scenes and got a collection of car magazines and such.
The thing is I don't do many miles, and usually they are short trips. It would ruin the engine and/or sut filter is what I was told.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope your e60 wont let you down.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Senior Members

Welcome to the forum!don't let the mod bug bite you!! Lol! Congrats
Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i M Sport N52

welcome, car looks great!!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Howdy and welcome.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Members

Just got back from diner at my parents place.
I've started taking my shoes of now, sunny outside, electric roof open with the air blowing at my feet: heaven

Little question though I'm slightly worried about. Whenever I hit a dent or a bump in the road while taking a turn, the car can start to wobble very noticeably.
Like one or two wobbles, say a big one and a small one, then it goes back to extreme solidness. I know it's not an M5 and I know cars in this class
usually have softer suspension, although the 5 series should have the "hardest suspension in it's class".

I only know those clichés from magazines and such I ain't no mechanic or real freak. (I have written a race game before tho so I DO love driving/racing).

It might be normal I don't have a clue. I didn't take the car in to check if it ever had an accident or something, although when I was checking a PDC sensor that had loosened at the front, I noticed
that at the front of the car at the bottom, before the front wheels, that black part that covers the bottom of the engine, there was some damage there in that black piece, like rupture holes.

I also was unable to find my fire extinguisher but the papers from the mandatory checkup said it was thumbs up, my seller might have removed it again I might have to face him. It's mandatory in Belgium.

Thanks guys!