E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New (to me) E60, Step-Tranny Problem or Software ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 545i, Sapphire Black, NAV, Sport Pkg, Prem Sound, Heads Up 2004 E85 Z4 3.0i Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, Prem Sound, Full Leather
Unhappy

Well, first let me say HELLO to everyone here at E60.net. This is truly the mother lode for info on this wonderful (??) BMW Model.
I have lurked for months in the background as I searched and read these wonderful pages and forum discussions, gathering information as I prepared for the trade-in of our much loved '02 X5 and purchase of a CPO '04 545i.

Five weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a very low mileage 545i from our Bimmer Dealer in Seattle. (See sig below for details). I can't tell how awe struck I am with this car! The ride, The active steering the Power! All I can say is awesome!

With the help of this great forum, I first discovered shortly after bringing the car home that the "eyebrows" were not working. From the info I could put together the car appeared to have Progman V19 or so onboard. I took the car in for service and asked to have them fixed per the SIB. My Local SA, said no prob. Took the car in on a Thursday, said pick it up on Friday. Well Friday brought a phone call, having trouble with the new software, we need it till Monday. Monday came and SA Called, the CCC will not take an update, we need to replace it. So five days later I get the car back with a new CCC and Progman V26 onboard. As a courtesy, he turned on Bluetooth for the asking. (all under warranty )

Ok so with all that background out of the way my questions. I have had the car back now for three weeks. During that time I have experienced a few issues that have me concerned. I am planning on taking it back in next week for service, but I am curious to hear your take on these issues. Could they all be software related?? Could I have a Tranny Problem?

1) Slowly since I got the car back from V26 software update, it has developed a major hesitation on take off after you have sat at a stop light for say 10 seconds or longer. It actually feels like the car is downshifting into first or engaging the torque converter. At these times, it feels like its stalling out then comes on strong and about throws you and every thing else in the car rearward! This issue is actually getting worse everyday!

I have tried the Tranny reset mentioned here in the forum and that helps for a day or two but the problem comes right back.

2) This one is scary. You start the car, usually after it has sat for a few hours from the last drive. You backup out of the parking spot, stop, foot lightly on the brake, shift into drive and the engine (with your foot just coming off the brake and not touching the accelerator yet) revs up to 1200 rpm and jumps forward OMG! So far its happened three times, I have been able to catch it with a quick foot on the brake. I have never had any of my bimmers do that before.

3) Last, the engine idle is very rough. This is my first Bimmer V-8 is a rough idle expected or normal?

I am looking forward to enjoying this car for years to come. Once I get beyond these issues

Thanks again for all of the information you all provide. I am looking forward to being an active member of E60.net and contribute where I can.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Wow that sounds like a bad case of transmission slam. I would take it into the dealer to have the transmission software updated. Lets hear what others have to say. But congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

+1 i would go straight to the dealer. hope it all turns out well for you.

and btw, welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 5_Spice45' post='457768' date='Aug 11 2007, 07:12 PM
Well, first let me say HELLO to everyone here at E60.net. This is truly the mother lode for info on this wonderful (??) BMW Model.
I have lurked for months in the background as I searched and read these wonderful pages and forum discussions, gathering information as I prepared for the trade-in of our much loved '02 X5 and purchase of a CPO '04 545i.

Five weeks ago I pulled the trigger on a very low mileage 545i from our Bimmer Dealer in Seattle. (See sig below for details). I can't tell how awe struck I am with this car! The ride, The active steering the Power! All I can say is awesome!

With the help of this great forum, I first discovered shortly after bringing the car home that the "eyebrows" were not working. From the info I could put together the car appeared to have Progman V19 or so onboard. I took the car in for service and asked to have them fixed per the SIB. My Local SA, said no prob. Took the car in on a Thursday, said pick it up on Friday. Well Friday brought a phone call, having trouble with the new software, we need it till Monday. Monday came and SA Called, the CCC will not take an update, we need to replace it. So five days later I get the car back with a new CCC and Progman V26 onboard. As a courtesy, he turned on Bluetooth for the asking. (all under warranty )

Ok so with all that background out of the way my questions. I have had the car back now for three weeks. During that time I have experienced a few issues that have me concerned. I am planning on taking it back in next week for service, but I am curious to hear your take on these issues. Could they all be software related?? Could I have a Tranny Problem?

1) Slowly since I got the car back from V26 software update, it has developed a major hesitation on take off after you have sat at a stop light for say 10 seconds or longer. It actually feels like the car is downshifting into first or engaging the torque converter. At these times, it feels like its stalling out then comes on strong and about throws you and every thing else in the car rearward! This issue is actually getting worse everyday!

I have tried the Tranny reset mentioned here in the forum and that helps for a day or two but the problem comes right back.

2) This one is scary. You start the car, usually after it has sat for a few hours from the last drive. You backup out of the parking spot, stop, foot lightly on the brake, shift into drive and the engine (with your foot just coming off the brake and not touching the accelerator yet) revs up to 1200 rpm and jumps forward OMG! So far its happened three times, I have been able to catch it with a quick foot on the brake. I have never had any of my bimmers do that before.

3) Last, the engine idle is very rough. This is my first Bimmer V-8 is a rough idle expected or normal?

I am looking forward to enjoying this car for years to come. Once I get beyond these issues

Thanks again for all of the information you all provide. I am looking forward to being an active member of E60.net and contribute where I can.

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 5_Spice45' post='457768' date='Aug 11 2007, 07:12 PM

I'm having the rough idle too -- my car is going in for service tomorrow so I hope they can resolve it. Can you describe how exactly your idle is rough? For me you can see the tach shaking at idle and my car is full of shudders and vibrations below 2k rpm.

Also, what is the build date of your car?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 545i, Sapphire Black, NAV, Sport Pkg, Prem Sound, Heads Up 2004 E85 Z4 3.0i Sport Pkg, Prem Pkg, Prem Sound, Full Leather

Well it's time for the first follow up.

Took my E60 in on Monday morning, they kept the car for two working days so they could attempt to duplicate the problem(s). For them, naturally, the car was on its best behavior, as they could find nothing wrong. (They did find and repair a +12v Bat Lead that was throwing errors due to a bad connection for the SRS System but that is all they could find.) My SA says on my previous visit they had done all the updates available.

I have driven the car now for approximately 200 miles in hwy, city and stop - go traffic. It's doing very well right now. take-offs are smooth, idle is smooth. The Dealer says they did nothing. Hard to believe, but, I will give it a week or two and report back.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by 5_Spice45' post='461465' date='Aug 22 2007, 03:31 PM
Well it's time for the first follow up.

Took my E60 in on Monday morning, they kept the car for two working days so they could attempt to duplicate the problem(s). For them, naturally, the car was on its best behavior, as they could find nothing wrong. (They did find and repair a +12v Bat Lead that was throwing errors due to a bad connection for the SRS System but that is all they could find.) My SA says on my previous visit they had done all the updates available.

I have driven the car now for approximately 200 miles in hwy, city and stop - go traffic. It's doing very well right now. take-offs are smooth, idle is smooth. The Dealer says they did nothing. Hard to believe, but, I will give it a week or two and report back.
Could it be that you might have filled it up with a bad tank of gas?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='461468' date='Aug 22 2007, 01:40 PM
Could it be that you might have filled it up with a bad tank of gas?
Since I took delivery 6 weeks ago, I have been through 5 tanks of gas. Always using either Shell Premium or Chevron Premium.

Its possible, that it has taken this long to clean out the gunk from the last driver, who did mainly small trips around town.

If it is the tranny issue it will be back in a week or so.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Members

i hate to say this, as a 545 owner for 3 year and no complaints....

Maybe thats why the car was for sale. It seems that randomness sets the good from the bad. Nothing technical at all, unless you include quality or reliably. Each has its own unique personality.

Sounds stupid-- i know.

Good luck, mike