E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New (to me) 06 530Xi owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
Just registered to the forum, have my CPO'd 06 530Xi for about 3 wks now, very happy w/it. Quick question about some audio..there is no CD changer in the glove box, removing the face plate there is just a hole w/some wires in there.....wondering if the previous owner removed the CD changer put in a delete face-plate and replaced with an iPod integration....then removed it prior to trading back to BMW...but wouldn't the iDrive show an Aux or iPod option on the Entertainment menu if so?
Would there be any other signs an iPod was integrated by the previous owner (a hole or something drilled in the glovebox?)

Just curious, right now I have a single dash CD and the radio...I'd like at least a CD changer but definitely going to the iPod integration in a few months.....wouldn't it be strange that a car was order w/out a CD-changer (as standard?)...or would someone reprogram the iDrive to reflect CD/CD changer w/out a CD-Changer when turning in the car/or BMW reprogram it??! Are there aftermarket iPod integrations that would just use the iDrive CD changer option to operate it? (i.e. a cheap cable that would plug directly into the CD-changer comm cord?)

thx, lots of question...TIA for any reponses...
Old 02-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Welcome to the forum! Where are you located?

There are at least 2 after market iPod integration (that allow you to control it via iDrive) mObridge & Dension but they are not cheaper than OEM BMW iPod integration, some of the advantages are the aftermarket give additional connectivity and/or have no song limitation over the OEM one.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='790293' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the forum! Where are you located?

There are at least 2 after market iPod integration (that allow you to control it via iDrive) mObridge & Dension but they are not cheaper than OEM BMW iPod integration, some of the advantages are the aftermarket give additional connectivity and/or have no song limitation over the OEM one.

OK, thx for the info AND the insight into what may be an advantage over the OEM solution, I'll check them out. I am located in North Jersey.....
Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Originally Posted by jfk92' post='790288' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:19 AM
Hey all,
Just registered to the forum, have my CPO'd 06 530Xi for about 3 wks now, very happy w/it. Quick question about some audio..there is no CD changer in the glove box, removing the face plate there is just a hole w/some wires in there.....wondering if the previous owner removed the CD changer put in a delete face-plate and replaced with an iPod integration....then removed it prior to trading back to BMW...but wouldn't the iDrive show an Aux or iPod option on the Entertainment menu if so?
Would there be any other signs an iPod was integrated by the previous owner (a hole or something drilled in the glovebox?)

Just curious, right now I have a single dash CD and the radio...I'd like at least a CD changer but definitely going to the iPod integration in a few months.....wouldn't it be strange that a car was order w/out a CD-changer (as standard?)...or would someone reprogram the iDrive to reflect CD/CD changer w/out a CD-Changer when turning in the car/or BMW reprogram it??! Are there aftermarket iPod integrations that would just use the iDrive CD changer option to operate it? (i.e. a cheap cable that would plug directly into the CD-changer comm cord?)

thx, lots of question...TIA for any reponses...
I just upgraded from a 2002 A6 myself. The BMW uses a MOST system for the stereo, which means it uses fiber optic cables which means making any changes to the system is a PIA and $$$ as it usually involves a dealer and programming.

If you have navigation then the BMW iPod adapter should be plug-and-play (no dealer involvement). Do a search and you'll find the details.

If you don't have navigation (like me) then you have to decide which system to use (BMW, Denison, or Mobrdge) and get the iPod adapter coding done at the local dealership for anywhere from $150-300. You should also check around and see if an independent shop can do the programming for you as they are usually considerably cheaper than the dealer.

By the way, your CD-player will play MP3 files. That's a great way to make up for the lack of an iPod adapter or CD-Changer.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.