E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New to Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...my new '08 550i Sport is my first ever manual transmission (i had autos and a 545i SMG prior).

After a week, I'm pretty smooth with the car. I match revs on up and downshifts, I don't mis-shift into the wrong gear, etc.

As I start to get more comfortable with the manual, I'd like to learn how to get a good launch with it. I'm assuming there's a method to get a reasonably fast start without damaging the clutch, etc. In other words, something to use at a red light when the car next to me doesn't warrant a more aggresive approach. I also assume there's a more damaging approach, similar to the launch assist in the SMG I had.

Another thing - when shifting, whats the pros/cons of forcing the selector into the next gear as quickly as possible versus letting it settle into the next gear?

Please...teach a newbie!

PS - First to Second is hard to do smoothly in everyday driving (I'm assuming the CDV), but it appears that with the right amount of throttle it can be done...is this the same for other 5's, or unique to the 550i?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

It's all about finding the right shift points (rpm's) - Soon it will become second nature, won't even give the shift a second thought. Are you using hill assist?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by tottifan' post='435112' date='Jun 12 2007, 07:16 PM
PS - First to Second is hard to do smoothly in everyday driving (I'm assuming the CDV), but it appears that with the right amount of throttle it can be done...is this the same for other 5's, or unique to the 550i?
It's more about practice than the CDV. 1st is really short on most European cars.

Enjoy your new transmission...
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

"In other words, something to use at a red light when the car next to me doesn't warrant a more aggresive approach. I also assume there's a more damaging approach, similar to the launch assist in the SMG I had."

It is all about pratice, engage first gear, then second to third.
For normal everyday driving in your 550i with that incredible 360 lb of torque , change gears @3k is sufficient, if you feel you need more then go towards 4k to change. If you want hell to break loose, go change at 6k or redline at every gear . Keep in mind its the 'feel' that is key.

"Another thing - when shifting, whats the pros/cons of forcing the selector into the next gear as quickly as possible versus letting it settle into the next gear?"

You are suppose to 'fully' engage the gear while clutch is fully depressed, then releasing the clutch. This sequence should be extremely smooth and happen in an instant (blink of en eye fast). There is no need for extra effort (not for the e60 at least) to force into gear.
In engaging gear, the hand action should be a firm 'one swift stroke'.
You are not suppose to let the transmission settle into the next gear. That is wrong.

"PS - First to Second is hard to do smoothly in everyday driving (I'm assuming the CDV), but it appears that with the right amount of throttle it can be done...is this the same for other 5's, or unique to the 550i?"

Don't blame the CDV nor the car.
1st to 2nd can be very smooth, again its pratice. Driving manuel is all about feel, listen to the car and the hand-feet coordination becomes inate.
If you find it jerky going from 1st to 2nd, it is the clutch release too fast too early and/or gas in too late. Make it a mission to find that balance point.

Read this:
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving...shifting.shtml

or better go through the entire site.
http://www.turnfast.com

The above applies to everyone here, there is always room to improve on one's driving skills and reaction times.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rollee' post='435169' date='Jun 13 2007, 04:01 AM
...that incredible 360 lb of torque
I have the 508 version of that "problem" with my auto...

ABC
Old 06-13-2007, 03:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by rollee' post='435169' date='Jun 12 2007, 11:01 PM
The above applies to everyone here, there is always room to improve on one's driving skills and reaction times.
+1

I taught myself to heel-toe during my daily commute a year or so ago. It's more entertaining than the crap on the radio, IMO.

When you attempt heel-toe, be sure that no one is right behind you. It takes awhile to teach the right and left halves of your foot to operate independently of each other. The process was a bit humbling at first.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what the other members said covers pretty much everything about driving a stick car. My 2cents are: Don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal but get used to put it on the foot rest and don't rest your right hand on the stick. Those two habbits will give you a long lasting clutch.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

What's the fuss about driving a manual car?

In EU 95% (probably higher) of drivers drive manual cars and it's certainly not a "higher order skill"!!

I guess it's like all things - "management of change"...

ABC
Old 06-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Another word of advice, but this is more about saving the clutch versus 'how to shift'...
When at a stop light, don't sit there with your foot depressing the clutch and the shifter in 1st gear waiting for the green light.
Keep your foot off the clutch pedal and the shifter in neutral.

One other thing, do not ride the clutch. For example, you'll see some people trying to hold their car in place by slowy engaging the clutch with the shifter in 1st gear. You'll know because you see their car slowing moving forward then backward, forward and backward. Instead, do what I suggested above and use the brake pedal to hold your car from rolling backwards.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='435293' date='Jun 13 2007, 03:52 PM
Instead, do what I suggested above and use the brake pedal to hold your car from rolling backwards.
And then? (I assume you're facing uphill)... What happens after you have engaged gear (with the clutch pedal still depressed) and need to move your right foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator (gas) to increase revs as you let the clutch pedal out? Answer: you still roll backwards.

Don't forget to use the handbrake. Or, if you're really clever, let the clutch pedal out so the clutch bites to the point of stalling which should hold the car as you increase revs to move away smoothly...

Sheesh. I never knew there was so much in it...

ABC

Quick Reply: New to Manual Transmission