E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New here

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6sp, sport pack, nav, cold pack, active steer.

I got this 2004 545i 6spd about 2 months ago. Can anybody tell me how to install the center console ash tray cover/sliding door back into its space? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails New here-545_front.jpg   New here-545_rear.jpg  
Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

If you mean the one at the front of the console it should not come off. Maybe you could take a picture of the area to give us more info.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Members

Thanks for your reply.
The cover came of into the dash and was not visible when I got this car. Before ordering a new one I wanted to make sure the cover is not inside. As I slided my hand in, above the ash tray and below the plastic pannel with the heated seats buttons, I was able to feel the ash tray cover about 5 inches away from its designated spot. When I took the cover out, I saw the plastic rails on the sides and realized that the only way this cover will be installed back is from the inside of the center console. Now, do I need to take the dash off or is there a way to get it in? If I got to go through the dash, what pieces do I have to take off first to get the pannel with the buttons for the front heated seats off?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Members

here are some pics of the ashtray are
Attached Thumbnails New here-ash1.jpg   New here-ash2.jpg   New here-ash3.jpg  
Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

If you are under warranty any dealer will fix or replace for free. No question about it.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Members

I wish it was the case. I got lucky this way with my 2001 BMW R1200 bike that was not running at all, but had 1 week left on the warranty and milage was under 36K. I got this car with 51k miles and there was no extended warranty added by the previous owner. I actually dont mind fixing this myself, especially since I am looking to connect a dvd or a pc system to the idrive display. If anyone knows how to take this dash off properly and what tools or where can I buy some special tools needed to do it, it would be nice.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Members

My Ride: Black/Black 2004 530i w/ Premium & Sport Pkgs.

Originally Posted by Sasha' post='470910' date='Sep 18 2007, 03:13 PM
I wish it was the case. I got lucky this way with my 2001 BMW R1200 bike that was not running at all, but had 1 week left on the warranty and milage was under 36K. I got this car with 51k miles and there was no extended warranty added by the previous owner. I actually dont mind fixing this myself, especially since I am looking to connect a dvd or a pc system to the idrive display. If anyone knows how to take this dash off properly and what tools or where can I buy some special tools needed to do it, it would be nice.
If I recall correctly, this is how I did it. (Don't hold me to it since its been a few months since I took mine apart)

I would take the console apart to work on this. If you notice there is a small carpet covered trim piece on each side of the console where it meets the real carpet. There is a screw under the dash for each piece. From there they slide out of some clips that hold them in place. Once that trim is removed you should be able to find the bolts that hold the front of the console in place.

At the rear of the console there are a couple of more bolts that hold that back of the console in place. Carefully remove the trim piece around the rear air controls & lighter plugs to gain access to them.

Once you get the console loose you can slide it back a few inches to work on the ash tray cover. I actually removed that whole trim piece from my car to clean it but I don't remember that remaining steps to do that. I'm sure once you have the console loose it wil be pretty easy to figure out.

You might want to stop off at a Radio Shack or some other place and pick up some graphite lubricant (or whatever is appropriate) to keep the little ash tray door sliding back and forth w/ ease.

Good luck!