E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New guy with question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a CPO 2007 530XI. I bought it out of state and drove 6.5 hours the day I picked it up. By the time I got home the ac and automatic windshield wipers were acting a bit odd. I had the AC on auto and by the time I got home, it was cranked all the way to cold. Cold air was coming out but at low speed and only enough to keep me comfortable. I would have thought I would be freezing. Also, the sensitivity of the automatic wipers has decreased during the drive. At the end of the trip it took much more rain to make them wipe. I did stop to eat and there was no real difference after re-starting the car. After sitting overnight it did seem to go back to normal.

My guess is that the computer didn't reset in the small amount of time it took for me to eat and once I got a re-boot the next morning all was fine. Now the actual questions, is this something that needs attention now (while under original warranty, and/or will CPO warranty cover it?) or is it a one time thing that is unlikely to reoccur?

Any other thoughts are more than welcome.
Thanks!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Cessnadog
I just bought a CPO 2007 530XI. I bought it out of state and drove 6.5 hours the day I picked it up. By the time I got home the ac and automatic windshield wipers were acting a bit odd. I had the AC on auto and by the time I got home, it was cranked all the way to cold. Cold air was coming out but at low speed and only enough to keep me comfortable. I would have thought I would be freezing. Also, the sensitivity of the automatic wipers has decreased during the drive. At the end of the trip it took much more rain to make them wipe. I did stop to eat and there was no real difference after re-starting the car. After sitting overnight it did seem to go back to normal.

My guess is that the computer didn't reset in the small amount of time it took for me to eat and once I got a re-boot the next morning all was fine. Now the actual questions, is this something that needs attention now (while under original warranty, and/or will CPO warranty cover it?) or is it a one time thing that is unlikely to reoccur?

Any other thoughts are more than welcome.
Thanks!
For the temp setting make sure in the iDrive under climate the bars for temp are set to all blue. You can adjust the sensitivity of the wiper sensor by moving that thumb dial up and down.

P.S. - Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great ride!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Hmmmm did you check the climate control settings in iDrive? For some reason, mine seems to change up the fan and/or heat (or cold) settings every now and then. The wiper situation seem a bit odd, you might have adjusted the sensitivity without knowing it?

Overall, these don't seem like items I would really be concerned about (unless your AC system is dying) but I would just have my local stealership check it out if you're concerned. Afterall, that's why you bought a CPO!

Congrats and enjoy the car, must have been a fun drive home in the new car .
Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Members

Yes, it is actually my wife's new car, and it was hard to go back to my "old" one...

Yes, I was playing with the wiper sensitivity adjustment on the stalk. It did make a difference, but this "hick-up" made more of one. i.e. at the most sensitive setting it was letting quite a bit of rain hit before it would wipe. the next morning a very light mist would cause a wipe at the same setting.

I will take a look at the climate settings in iDrive.

Thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

Re the climate control, if you had it on for a long period of time, it will likely only blow a small flow of cold air. There are sensors throughout the car that adjust the vent blower settings based on the temperature in the car.

If you are looking for a full blast style of cold air, press the MAX snowflake button on the driver's side temperature control. This blows maximum cold until it it turned off or auto mode is engaged.

The windshield wipers, if you had them on auto mode, same deal really. They adjust based on the rain amount on the windshield. If you had it in manual/intermittent mode, it may be a problem with the motor.

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

The AC problem seems to be common. Like the evaporator coil is freezing. Fan turned on high and you can hear it running,
but, feel little air out of the vents? Everything works fine till you stop for a minute, then nothing?
Figure this one out and become our new hero!
BTW...welcome to the forum
Old 06-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Members

I could make it blast air by turning the fan up or pushing the max button, the issue was that it was just warmer than comfortable in the car (maybe 73-74 or so) but the auto system apparently didn't believe that I wanted REALLY cold air. For the record, I didn't, I just wanted it a little cooler.

And thanks to all for the welcome notes!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Did you have both sides of the Climate Control at close to the same settings? While these dual systems work OK they can get confused if there is a large temp difference between the two sides.
Regarding the wipers, I usually keep the adjustment wheel in its most sensitive location but sometimes have to add a manual swipe in certain types of rain. A light mist will keep the thing going steady whereas a steady rain may go from intermittent wipe to full speed.
BTW, enjoy the car.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Members

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about TSB/SIB 64 05 06?