E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New to this Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i M-Sport in Titanium Silver Metallic w/ HUD, Logic 7, iPod Interface, SAT, NAV, Style M-172 wheels
Thumbs up

I am new to this forum, and I have two questions at the end:

Three weeks ago I purchased a 2006 550i Sport w/ M Aero Kit, Nav, HUD, Logic 7, iPod Interface, style M 172 wheels.

I truly love driving this thing! My last five cars have all been Lexus - including three different GS models. The move to BMW came after driving a friends and discovering what the "ultimate driving machine" really means. There is truly no comparison with this and my GS 460. The 550i has something very special to offer its driver. Even with the the price of gas, I just find myself wanting to go for spirited drives. It's still early in my time with the car, but so far indications are that BMW may have a new convert!

The prior owner is someone I know (a major BMW enthusiast), and the care of this car shows it! I have yet to find a single rock chip!

Questions:

1) Are there any suggestions as to minor mods that I may want to do to this car? So far I am thinking about replacing the air filter with a K&N.

2) What are the material differences between my car, and a 2008 550i Sport (keeping in mind that I have the M kit and Style M 172 Wheels)?

Thanks in advance! - David
Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by dpohlman' post='437342' date='Jun 19 2007, 11:43 AM
I am new to this forum, and I have two questions at the end:

Three weeks ago I purchased a 2006 550i Sport w/ M Aero Kit, Nav, HUD, Logic 7, iPod Interface, style M 172 wheels.

I truly love driving this thing! My last five cars have all been Lexus - including three different GS models. The move to BMW came after driving a friends and discovering what the "ultimate driving machine" really means. There is truly no comparison with this and my GS 460. The 550i has something very special to offer its driver. Even with the the price of gas, I just find myself wanting to go for spirited drives. It's still early in my time with the car, but so far indications are that BMW may have a new convert!

The prior owner is someone I know (a major BMW enthusiast), and the care of this car shows it! I have yet to find a single rock chip!

Questions:

1) Are there any suggestions as to minor mods that I may want to do to this car? So far I am thinking about replacing the air filter with a K&N.

2) What are the material differences between my car, and a 2008 550i Sport (keeping in mind that I have the M kit and Style M 172 Wheels)?

Thanks in advance! - David

Welcome on board

Sorry i can't be of much help other than to say the LCI models have not changed dramatically on the exterior, new light clusters being the only major change that comes to mind... the interior has been re designed and given a nice (my opinion) face lift and i dare say there are a few new options avaliable.

Anyway all the very best with your new wheels... enjoy
Old 06-19-2007, 03:29 AM
Contributors

Great to read that you are enjoying your 550i sport. Welcome aboard.

As far as minor mods ... yes, change the air filter and while you are at it, make sure the charcoal filter has been removed too. Otherwise, the popular mods are not minor: wheels, exhaust, springs, high-flow throttle body, software tuning).

The main differences between your car and the 2008 version are the transmission, suspension and exhaust. The 2008 refresh for the 550i sport includes new transmissions (no more SMG, and 2 new automatics - the sport auto is the faster shifting option with paddle shifters). The new suspension is tighter, and the new exhaust has a deeper sound to it.

Other minor differences include some tweaks to the interior (including i-drive preset buttons), and the front turn signals (yellow) have been moved down to the front fender near the bumper instead of being integrated into the headlamp.

By the way, what did your friend replace his 550i with?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i M-Sport in Titanium Silver Metallic w/ HUD, Logic 7, iPod Interface, SAT, NAV, Style M-172 wheels

To answer Tachyon's question, my friend bought another M3 (Competition Version).
Old 06-19-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='437347' date='Jun 19 2007, 02:29 PM
[...]
and the front turn signals (yellow) have been moved down to the front fender near the bumper instead of being integrated into the headlamp.
[...]
I am not sure I understood this...
Old 06-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='437352' date='Jun 19 2007, 06:56 AM
I am not sure I understood this...
In the U.S. the yellow blinker was in the headlamp ... like this:

For the LCI in the U.S. it was moved onto the fender ... like this:
Old 06-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='437393' date='Jun 19 2007, 11:58 AM
In the U.S. the yellow blinker was in the headlamp ... like this:

For the LCI in the U.S. it was moved onto the fender ... like this:
I think the yellow piece in the wheel-well is only a reflector. It was in the headlamp assembly before (as you show), but the actual blinking (turnsignal) light is still in the large assembly above it. The placement replicates the placement first seen in the 3-Series.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='437400' date='Jun 19 2007, 09:14 AM
I think the yellow piece in the wheel-well is only a reflector. It was in the headlamp assembly before (as you show), but the actual blinking (turnsignal) light is still in the large assembly above it. The placement replicates the placement first seen in the 3-Series.
That's correct ExGMan. It's a requirement with the DOT to have a reflector in the front. I've already seen 3 series that have painted the reflector to match the body color.

New to this Forum-dsc_0875.jpg
Old 06-19-2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

I think the reflector is ugly and I've not seen it in Europe. The turn signal is still in the main headlamp assembly.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='437411' date='Jun 19 2007, 06:31 PM
I think the reflector is ugly and I've not seen it in Europe. The turn signal is still in the main headlamp assembly.
Its as ro11dice wrote above, the reflector is only a US "DOT" regulatory requirement and not required in the Europe, which is why you won't see it on the 5ers over here.

Quick Reply: New to this Forum