E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New E60 owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

adaptive headlights - if they turn on with the car you should see them start low and move up - and even if the car is stopped you can see them turn, but only to the right - they do not turn to the left when car stopped
if this does not happen then take to the dealer

mp3 - it took me forever to work it out, but I have
do not know about using itunes becasue of the file type - needs to be in mp3 format
do you use mac or PC?
You do not have to get it through Nero - I can also make mp3's through windows media player
Have you tried this?
If you have it and are not sure let me know here and I can post instructions

The biggest problem I found with BMW mp3 reader is that the file has to be written very slowly (no more than 4x - or mine had so many errors that would not read)

Also, I believe that with Nav there is no mp3 playback in the US as of yet - though I could be mistaken - I do not have Nav and after lots of experimenting I got it to work
Old 12-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Geo
Members

My Ride: 530i

Thanks for the response. I think that my adaptive headlights need service ... they don't work like they are supposed to. I test drove a E90 and have seen how adaptive headlights are supposed to work. Regarding MP3s, I'm still having problems. I tried using Nero as suggested by others, but no luck. I have a PC and use Windows Media Player. Could you please send me the steps that you used. I have also burned the disk at 4x without any luck. Worst case, would you be willing to sail-mail me a working disk? This would tell me if my car needs servicing.

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='216927' date='Dec 29 2005, 04:13 PM
adaptive headlights - if they turn on with the car you should see them start low and move up - and even if the car is stopped you can see them turn, but only to the right - they do not turn to the left when car stopped

do not know about using itunes becasue of the file type - needs to be in mp3 format
do you use mac or PC?
You do not have to get it through Nero - I can also make mp3's through windows media player
Have you tried this?

The biggest problem I found with BMW mp3 reader is that the file has to be written very slowly (no more than 4x - or mine had so many errors that would not read)

Also, I believe that with Nav there is no mp3 playback in the US as of yet - though I could be mistaken - I do not have Nav and after lots of experimenting I got it to work
Old 12-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Geo
Members

Just tried Window Media Play and burned a disk at 2x. Still no luck

Originally Posted by Geo' post='217071

do you use mac or PC?
Have you tried this?

[/quote]
Old 12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by Geo' post='217078' date='Dec 29 2005, 09:42 PM
Just tried Window Media Play and burned a disk at 2x. Still no luck
Is this a post-September build 2006? If not, it won't work.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Geo
Members

I think that the build date is 22 Sept 2005 since it says "20050922" in small print on the bottom left of the sticker. Am I only a few days off from having this capability? My owners manual says that it is supported.

Originally Posted by das' post='217080
Just tried Window Media Player and burned a disk at 2x. Still no luck
Is this a post-September build 2006? If not, it won't work.
[/quote]
Old 12-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by 1600' post='216374' date='Dec 29 2005, 02:20 AM
Duh...how about a call to your dealer?
Duh...if the dealer can answer all my questions, I would not be so addicted to this forum.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by JFiRB' post='216407
5. Can I get a large nav window and small entertainment or radio window. I currently have it set to the reverse, but would prefer a larger nav window.

Thanks
Yes, if you go to navigation first from iDrive and then you can choose what you want the smaller window to be. The reason why you got bigger radio window is probably because you went to entertainment first.
[/quote]

I don't think that's the case. When I go to Navigation first and have the map displayed on the big screen, the Assistant Window only offers options related to map and trip computer as well...no entertainment/radio option on the Assistant Window. Double check yours. If you can in fact get the entertainment screen on the Assistant Window, I'll be visiting my dealer to see what's up.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Here are my steps

1-get a high quality CD-r - I used sony and got it to work - was trying another brand cd-rw's and did not work

2-open windows media player - go under tools on the top then select options - under rip music change format to mp3 and for the discs I currently used I changed audio quality to 192 Kbps - I have yet to try 128 because I have to re-reip all of my cd's to the computer
then rip cd's

for Nero
3-open Nero and select CD in the upper right corner and put then select audio and select make mp3 disc
the next screen should have a scale in MB - not minutes - on the bottom
on the bottom you will see configure - open this and change ultrabuffer to 79 MB
then click on add
you then have to find where the songs are stored on you hard drive
get tot he songs and doubl;e click them to add (not the folder, but the song itself)
after getting the songs you want click next
adjust writing speed to 4x and check "Verify data on disc after burning"
then click burn - and it should work
if this does then later you can go back and make a disc with folders if you want

for windows media player
3-open windows media player
select burn
on the right side you will see CD Drive - then a drop down arrow - be sure to change this to Data CD
open edit playlist and you should be able to get to the songs by looking under srtist/ablum/etc
select the songs
the click burn
I have not found a way to make folders with windows media player

I have had better luck with Nero - no mistakes on transfer
make sure you are playing on the single cd slot in your car

Are you getting any kind of error when you burn?
I was getting either unable to read media - could not read the disc at all

or

sometimes the song would play and then stop and I would get an unable to read track error

If you are not getting one of these errors then you may not have the ability

Let me know - and if you give me your address I can snail mail a working mp3 disc
Old 12-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Geo
Members

Thanks for the info. I will try again with a different brand of CD. I have been using Memorex CD-Rs. Could you also clearify step number 3 -- "open Nero and select CD in the upper right corner and put then select audio and select make mp3 disc". Lastly, thanks for offering to send me a CD. Please email me at kamis@ieee.org and I will send you my address.

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='217133' date='Dec 30 2005, 03:06 AM
Here are my steps

1-get a high quality CD-r - I used sony and got it to work - was trying another brand cd-rw's and did not work

2-open windows media player - go under tools on the top then select options - under rip music change format to mp3 and for the discs I currently used I changed audio quality to 192 Kbps - I have yet to try 128 because I have to re-reip all of my cd's to the computer
then rip cd's

for Nero
3-open Nero and select CD in the upper right corner and put then select audio and select make mp3 disc
the next screen should have a scale in MB - not minutes - on the bottom
on the bottom you will see configure - open this and change ultrabuffer to 79 MB
then click on add
you then have to find where the songs are stored on you hard drive
get tot he songs and doubl;e click them to add (not the folder, but the song itself)
after getting the songs you want click next
adjust writing speed to 4x and check "Verify data on disc after burning"
then click burn - and it should work
if this does then later you can go back and make a disc with folders if you want

for windows media player
3-open windows media player
select burn
on the right side you will see CD Drive - then a drop down arrow - be sure to change this to Data CD
open edit playlist and you should be able to get to the songs by looking under srtist/ablum/etc
select the songs
the click burn
I have not found a way to make folders with windows media player

I have had better luck with Nero - no mistakes on transfer
make sure you are playing on the single cd slot in your car

Are you getting any kind of error when you burn?
I was getting either unable to read media - could not read the disc at all

or

sometimes the song would play and then stop and I would get an unable to read track error

If you are not getting one of these errors then you may not have the ability

Let me know - and if you give me your address I can snail mail a working mp3 disc
Old 12-30-2005, 06:32 AM
Contributors

I do not know which version of Nero I have, but the icon says Nero start smart

When I open Nero I have the option of burning to a cd or dvd - there are two icons in the upper right corner of Nero -
Then there is a choice of like four things with icons - burn audio (with a music symbol), data, video - and I think one more

I select audio then on the next screen select mp3 - you could also so it theoretically burn it through a data cd I guess

Also, are you getting any errors whne you insert your cd?

Quick Reply: New E60 owner questions